Is Geelong-Richmond the new Geelong-Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Selfield

Debutant
May 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Hawthorn failed to beat us for 5 years after we lost a grand final to them. Richmond have failed to beat us for 2 years (and counting) after we lost a grand final to them.

The rivalry with Hawthorn is obviously no longer there since they've become irrelevant but the rivalry with Richmond is there, especially as they're enjoying a little run at the top while we continue to sit at the top, dominating and racking up top 4 finishes as we've been doing for nigh on 20 years now.

Selwood and Hawkins were at the club when the players made a famous pact to never lose to Hawthorn again after the 2008 grand final, and I wouldn't be surprised if these two lead a player driven pact never to lose to Richmond again after the 2020 grand final.

The only thing missing is Brendon Gale coming out and saying we don't have the quality of some of Richmond's players and that Richmond have beaten us when it matters.

Hawthorn failed to beat us for 5 years after we lost a grand final to them. Richmond have failed to beat us for 2 years (and counting) after we lost a grand final to them.

The rivalry with Hawthorn is obviously no longer there since they've become irrelevant but the rivalry with Richmond is there, especially as they're enjoying a little run at the top while we continue to sit at the top, dominating and racking up top 4 finishes as we've been doing for nigh on 20 years now.

Selwood and Hawkins were at the club when the players made a famous pact to never lose to Hawthorn again after the 2008 grand final, and I wouldn't be surprised if these two lead a player driven pact never to lose to Richmond again after the 2020 grand final.

The only thing missing is Brendon Gale coming out and saying we don't have the quality of some of Richmond's players and that Richmond have beaten us when it matters.
So Geelong win the meaningless H&A games, while Richmond win the big finals? deal

The difference is you beat us in home and away and we return the favour in finals, I'm happy with that arrangement.

Geelong-Richmond will never a rivalry like Geelong-Hawks. That has history, highlights, and memories - some of which is the stuff of folk lore.

Richmond building a dynasty on beating up a "H&A" Cats team doesn't resemble anything like that. The only reason why it's even mentioned is because a bunch of nuffies on both sides froth at the mouth whenever they play each other. A rivalry has to start on the field, not off it.

The last game did resemble an old Geelong Hawthorn rivalry game from the 2010s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2018 & 2020 H&A games when we had our full side in, You kittys couldn't beat us, in 2022 if Cotchin, Balta & Prestia played the whole match you wouldn't have beaten us either. So the rivalry is, yes you're very good against our injured squads in the H&A. Otherwise you're irrelevant and fond of KO'ing our players

2018 & 2020 H&A games when we had our full side in, You kittys couldn't beat us, in 2022 if Cotchin, Balta & Prestia played the whole match you wouldn't have beaten us either. So the rivalry is, yes you're very good against our injured squads in the H&A. Otherwise you're irrelevant and fond of KO'ing our players

Cope harder

No, to have a rivalry the other team actually has to beat you in a final. Although the supporters can’t stand each other so we are nearly there.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I love how Cats fans think Richmond supporters are obsessed with them but then a Cats fan goes and makes this thread...

No, to have a rivalry the other team actually has to beat you in a final. Although the supporters can’t stand each other so we are nearly there.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Another rule from the book of Falcon.

You should publish all your rules (GOAT must have won at least one flag etc) in one place, so other posters will know whether or not they’re complying with, or breaking those famous Falcon rules.

I remembered the Kennett curse. Geelong-Richmond played in a grand final not too long ago with Richmond winning but Geelong has won 3 regular season games since then. Slowly building but in a few years time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back