Is Geelong-Richmond the new Geelong-Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

agreed..Richmond is not worthy of the rivalry status...

So go away.. work on it... and come back when you have something rival worthy.

Go Catters

idiot?

Thats not very nice.

Look if you want to compare our "rivalry" to that Of Juve and Torino, then fine, I'm cool with that

But I think it means more to Torino than Juve, just saying lol

I'm using Derby della Mole as a reference to why Richmond aren't rivals because no one cares enough about you guys to have one.

The actually means a lot to both clubs, Juve too.

You seem to care about being rivals with us more than we seem to do.

That's not how a rivalry works you idiot.

In Derby della Mole, Juve has won 108 games to 73. Torino hasn't won a title since 75/76 and Juve has won 9 of the last 10 titles. They've met each other 34 times since 95/96. Juve has won 25, there have been 8 draws and Torino has won one singular game.

But it's still a top-tier rivalry.

The best rivalries are when teams and fans care about it. Geelong-Hawks, Pies-Blues, Showdown, Western Derby etc

You can try and talk yourself up all you want because you want to seem like you support a big club, but the problem is no one really cares about you guys enough for a rivalry, whether you're good or bad.

You guys don’t have a rivalry with anybody lol. Hawks destroyed you like we did. You think hawks fans give a f about H&A wins. You seem like the ones talking yourselves up.

With only 9 flags and yours clubs size being as big as my shoe. Why would anybody consider you relevant? You are the black sheep of the VIC’s and it’s fitting you home ground is based in Geelong away from everybody else. Both GFC and it’s supporters have short man syndrome and it clearly shows, maybe you can go have a rivalry with st kilda or something over the 09 GF.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You guys don’t have a rivalry with anybody lol. Hawks destroyed you like we did. You think hawks fans give a f about H&A wins. You seem like the ones talking yourselves up.

You literally have no idea what you're talking about so I'm not sure as to why you're commenting on it as you do.

I'm using Derby della Mole as a reference to why Richmond aren't rivals because no one cares enough about you guys to have one.

The actually means a lot to both clubs, Juve too.

You seem to care about being rivals with us more than we seem to do.

You see,

For me a rival, is a team you respect, and a team that you dread to lose to, in a final, or a grand final.

Geelong doesn't qualify, so don't get it twisted.

I am just keeping it real, because on recent history, thinking of playing Geelong in a final, does not fill me with dread, or anxiety,it fills me with joy, and so many incredible memories

I will admit, pumping Geelong in finals is awesome

With only 9 flags and yours clubs size being as big as my shoe. Why would anybody consider you relevant? You are the black sheep of the VIC’s and it’s fitting you home ground is based in Geelong away from everybody else. Both GFC and it’s supporters have short man syndrome and it clearly shows, maybe you can go have a rivalry with st kilda or something over the 09 GF.

We are 1-2 in grand finals against Hawthorn and played arguably the greatest decider ever played, we got Gary Ablett Sr from them, they upset arguably the best home and away team in history and their president went on TV and slagged us off.

For the entire life of most Geelong and Hawthorn fans who post here, the two sides and their fans have hated each other. In 2007 they beat us, in some of their flag years we beat them because it was ALWAYS a match played with passion and almost invariably was close. Same as West Coast and Sydney.

For nearly 40 years we bent Richmond over almost every time we played them, and routinely either forgot or didn’t bother with lube.

Mind you, most teams in the afl bent Richmond over weekly during that era.

You got good and you beat us in some finals. You beat other teams too.

What does that mean in the grand scheme of, for example, my lifetime? That the only period of following footy that matters is 2017-2020?

What? What is it you are so desperate to hear from everyone else about your beloved team?

You see,

For me a rival, is a team you respect, and a team that you dread to lose to, in a final, or a grand final.

Geelong doesn't qualify, so don't get it twisted.

I am just keeping it real, because on recent history, thinking of playing Geelong in a final, does not fill me with dread, or anxiety,it fills me with joy, and so many incredible memories

I will admit, pumping Geelong in finals is awesome

So we can both agree we're not rivals? I don't get the point of you continually posting in here then.

I've said in this thread before that the 3 games we lost to the Tigers don't mean squat to me in 2022. It's just s**t that has happened, I don't even get annoyed looking at the 2020 GF.

2008 on the other hand....

Oh so now club size is a thing!!!!

F***in hell if I knew you on real life I would take the piss out of you relentlessly enough to the point that you would put yourself back through school to actually UNlearn all this s**t you think is meaningful.

Our club comes from a small coastal city, do you really think we would support it based on its size? What does that mean? ‘Oh look at me I’m a sheep and only love this thing because heaps of other people love it too and Pat me on the bum and tell
me how cool I am because I like something that heaps of other people do too.’

🤣🤣🤣

Quick mate, better sign up with Real Madrid, Manchester United, the Chicago Bulls, the Indian cricket side as well and show the world how cool
You are because you like popular things 😂😂😂

You do realise people like Daz would have seen the same amount of flags as you?

We're still competing for them though, whereas you aren't.

Are you ?

You should get a medal for effort.

The near enough is good enough medal, they should call it the Joel Selwood medal !

It should be awarded to the greatest team in history, with the most AA jumpers, with the greatest player in history, with the best captain in history.

Results and performance doesn't matter, just give it Geelong every year, they are THAT good !

We can have the premiership team and the Joel Selwood medal team, that way Joel could add that medal every year to go with his useless AA jumpers, and they can sit around with Tom Stewart and Miers and Danger and Stanley and all those other champions and talk about the good old days, about how they almost beat Richmond in three finals appearances, and if it wasn't for Dustin Martin, Danger would have three flags and Joel Selwood would have a career almost as good as Trent Cotchins, that being a three time premiership captain.

But it doesn't matter at Geelong because near enough is good enough !

Are you ?

The near enough is good enough medal, they should call it the Joel Selwood medal !

It should be awarded to the greatest team in history, with the most AA jumpers, with the greatest player in history, with the best captain in history.

Results and performance doesn't matter, just give it Geelong every year, they are THAT good !

We can have the premiership team and the Joel Selwood medal team, that way Joel could add that medal every year to go with his useless AA jumpers, and they can sit around with Tom Stewart and Miers and Danger and Stanley and all those other champions and talk about the good old days, about how they almost beat Richmond in three finals appearances, and if it wasn't for Dustin Martin, Danger would have three flags and Joel Selwood would have a career almost as good as Trent Cotchins, that being a three time premiership captain.

impressive melt, small correction - Selwood definitely has had a better career than Cotchin though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you ?

Doesn’t matter because near enough is good enough? We’ve won the same amount as you have in 43 seasons only we’ve never been knocked out of the finals by a team in 9th and haven’t been getting actual excrement dumped out our base because we are so Non competitive for decades at a time?

Medals for effort? For 30 years you would have been lucky to have half a dozen players who even managed to put one in.

Why give effort medals to players who never bothered making one.

Simple fact is when a side is top-4 13 years in 16, and 19 times in 33 seasons, most Premiers are going to end up playing an important game against Geelong en route to a Flag. Like how many clubs would have claimed the same versus the Pies in the 60's 70's and 80's. Any Geelong fan will agree that we've never always been the best side in it perhaps aside from 2008, as we were 23-1 going into the GF, but Hawthorn beat us fair and square. It sucks, but we have to live with it.

Similarly with Richmond, your peak era 2017-2020 coincided with our continuous era among the top-4. Again, we were not the best, three times the Tigers beat us in their Flag years.

But one constant is that we're up there and punching with the best year-in year out, whereas the Tigers have a bit of Halley's Comet about them, a flash of glory (OK 4 seasons is a long flash), but then flame out and join the also rans. A place Geelong rarely finds itself. After all, speaking of Halley's Comet, it was that year, 1986 when Geelong last found itself in the bottom-4. Any wonder we've gone 47-15 since 1983 against the Tigers.

Simple fact is when a side is top-4 13 years in 16, and 19 times in 33 seasons, most Premiers are going to end up playing an important game against Geelong en route to a Flag. Like how many clubs would have claimed the same versus the Pies in the 60's 70's and 80's. Any Geelong fan will agree that we've never always been the best side in it perhaps aside from 2008, as we were 23-1 going into the GF, but Hawthorn beat us fair and square. It sucks, but we have to live with it.

Similarly with Richmond, your peak era 2017-2020 coincided with our continuous era among the top-4. Again, we were not the best, three times the Tigers beat us in their Flag years.

But one constant is that we're up there and punching with the best year-in year out, whereas the Tigers have a bit of Halley's Comet about them, a flash of glory (OK 4 seasons is a long flash), but then flame out and join the also rans. A place Geelong rarely finds itself. After all, speaking of Halley's Comet, it was that year, 1986 when Geelong last found itself in the bottom-4. Any wonder we've gone 47-15 since 1983 against the Tigers.

It’s almost as though their flags are somehow worth more because they beat us during those finals series.

Like we sat around after 07/09/11 going ‘well f*** this feels hollow we didn’t get to beat Richmond.’

Both sets of fans have literally experienced the same amount of the ultimate high in that time, of winning a grand final. Again it’s like the two golfers with the same amount of majors, one of whom is on the front page of the leaderboard every time he plays, the other of whom misses cut after cut after cut then pops up and wins.
The first guy isn’t somehow less successful.

My personal favourite is the ‘we’re a bigger club than you.’

Well wow, what a special achievement 😂😂😂

Are you ?

Touch grass

Of course he does, and danger is better than martin as well.

Because they play for Geelong!
Dunno about Danger having a better career than Martin, but yeah agreed Selwood definitely better than Cotchin

You literally have no idea what you're talking about so I'm not sure as to why you're commenting on it as you do.

I have hawks relatives that just laugh whenever GFC is discussed. They love you guys and keep wanting to play you in finals. So do I, that’s the sad state your club is in. People want to play you in finals. The rest of the comp is getting that way as well, everybody thinks you are easy beats.

Dunno about Danger having a better career than Martin, but yeah agreed Selwood definitely better than Cotchin

look you can convince yourself of whatever you need to, in order to cope.

But AA jumpers do not equal premiership captains, but like I said whatever.

Just realised SDK in 21. Gibcus is 18 and is almost as good or just as good. Lol Gibcus will eclipse SDK in a few years.

Just realised SDK in 21. Gibcus is 18 and is almost as good or just as good. Lol Gibcus will eclipse SDK in a few years.

if you legitimately believe what you're writing then nobody can help you

look you can convince yourself of whatever you need to, in order to cope.

But AA jumpers do not equal premiership captains, but like I said whatever.
AA jumpers the player has to perform for and get it themselves.

Your Premiership captain can get carried by the other 22.. thus Cotchin.

You even identified it yourself.

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back