Is Geelong's home ground advantage a double edged sword?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cmon mate you're talking rubbish, Caddy is bona fide star of the comp.Bad call to trade him by you guys, sounds like you're bitter about it.
:rolleyes:

He isn't even your 2nd best mid/forward and can't even crack into the top ten of mid forwards in the comp. There are 9 teams with better mid forwards, placing him smack bang in the average category.

Here is another comparison, Sam Menegola who is definitely not a star, and only a third year player, ranks 62 places ahead of Caddy.

Finally, Caddy asked to be traded because he wanted the money. Said it was because he couldn't get a run in the midfield, but doesn't get that at the Tigers either - either way, does a star bail because they are not good enough to get a spot in a team? I would not think so.

:rolleyes:

He isn't even your 2nd best mid/forward and can't even crack into the top ten of mid forwards in the comp. There are 9 teams with better mid forwards, placing him smack bang in the average category.

Here is another comparison, Sam Menegola who is definitely not a star, and only a third year player, ranks 62 places ahead of Caddy.

Finally, Caddy asked to be traded because he wanted the money. Said it was because he couldn't get a run in the midfield, but doesn't get that at the Tigers either - either way, does a star bail because they are not good enough to get a spot in a team? I would not think so.
So you reckon the All Australian selectors got it wrong? I can't see how Menagola would be in the top 100 AA squad.Are you on the bongs mate?

So you reckon the All Australian selectors got it wrong? I can't see how Menagola would be in the top 100 AA squad.Are you on the bongs mate?
Lol, yes, that's what I stated quite a few posts back. And the second half of Caddy's season proves it.

Menegola didn't make the AA team. Shouldn't have either. But as a far more consistent and higher ranked third year player it shows what a farce putting Caddy in the squad was.

Lol, yes, that's what I stated quite a few posts back. And the second half of Caddy's season proves it.

Menegola didn't make the AA team. Shouldn't have either. But as a far more consistent and higher ranked third year player it shows what a farce putting Caddy in the squad was.
I don't think you know much about footy mate

I don't think you know much about footy mate
I don't think you're in a position to judge. Stalemate. Good on you for taking him as a salary dump for us, but we will be quite happy with Kelly, Parfitt, Menegola, Ablett and Dalhouse playing his hff/mid role much more consistently and reliably.

The ground is too narrow. It masks their deficiencies greatly as teams don't have the ability to play wide. It's also why Fremantle beat them there in 2013 (the only teams who played on a similarly narrow ground were from WA). Those WA sides will start seeing more finals success, given they have a ground of similar shape to the MCG.
Geelong will continue to be there abouts without saluting

Cmon mate you're talking rubbish, Caddy is bona fide star of the comp.Bad call to trade him by you guys, sounds like you're bitter about it.
Caddy still lacks real star material. He is a great opportunist, with some limitations under pressure. He has been excellent for you, but if he was a real star, would have performed at Geelong and maybe GC more regularly. Even in 17, he was about 20th in your B & F.

I don't think you're in a position to judge. Stalemate. Good on you for taking him as a salary dump for us, but we will be quite happy with Kelly, Parfitt, Menegola, Ablett and Dalhouse playing his hff/mid role much more consistently and reliably.
Caddy is a permant forward now, you played him out of position.Geelong really needs to get some high draft picks, you're relying on mediocre players to top your team up.

The ground is too narrow. It masks their deficiencies greatly as teams don't have the ability to play wide. It's also why Fremantle beat them there in 2013 (the only teams who played on a similarly narrow ground were from WA). Those WA sides will start seeing more finals success, given they have a ground of similar shape to the MCG.
Geelong will continue to be there abouts without saluting

I wonder how Geelong ever won flags?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fine, we can do that for you but we want something back in return. Whenever we play a big Melbourne club at the G, they are only allowed to have as many supporters as we do attend. It's the principle of the matter, do unto others.

And with mild amusement and a smattering of polite laughter, the argument was conceded by the GFC.

And with mild amusement and a smattering of polite laughter, the argument was conceded by the GFC.
Lol, so no? It's different if Geelong try to make demands at your home games?

Safe to say, no conceding required - it's our home ground and we have no requirement to throw opposition supporters a bone.

Here's a terrific article from 3 years ago , that I could have written myself. Great quote from Bartel , "We are probably in a fortunate position where we are one of the few clubs that play on the ground we train on,” Bartel said."
https://www.theroar.com.au/2015/04/11/kardinia-park-the-biggest-advantge-in-the-afl/

This table sums up nicely the weird dimensions of the 'shattery'
Venue Length (metres) Width (metres)
Simmonds Stadium (Geelong) 170 115
ANZ Stadium (Olympic) 160 118
Patersons Stadium (Perth) 175 122
Spotless Stadium (GWS) 164 123
Adelaide Oval 167 124
Etihad Stadium 160 129
Blundstone Arena (Hobart) 175 133
Metricon Stadium (Gold Coast) 160 134
Aurora Stadium (Launceston) 165 135
TIO Stadium (Darwin) 175 135
Sydney Cricket Ground 149 136
Gabba 156 138
Manuka Oval (Canberra) 162 138
Melbourne Cricket Ground 160 141
Cazaly’s Stadium (Cairns) 173 149

Lol, so no? It's different if Geelong try to make demands at your home games?

Safe to say, no conceding required - it's our home ground and we have no requirement to throw opposition supporters a bone.

So far, all you can say is: "we are no worse than you"... and "it is all a matter of selfishness".....But that it is embarrasing for you that you think that way.

And the GFC are happy to play the Grand Final at the MCG and not in SA or WA or NSW???? Because ensuring the Biggest crowd suits their selfish principles then.

The AFL / VFL has always been a sport where rival supporters sit side by side... and where supporters travel or visit or are hosted by their opposition.

The AFL/VFL has always been a sport where games are moved to ensure that the greatest number of supporters can attend the match.

If you want to tell the other Vic clubs to GAGF.... don't expect us to support it, or your club.

Here's a terrific article from 3 years ago , that I could have written myself. Great quote from Bartel , "We are probably in a fortunate position where we are one of the few clubs that play on the ground we train on,” Bartel said."
https://www.theroar.com.au/2015/04/11/kardinia-park-the-biggest-advantge-in-the-afl/

This table sums up nicely the weird dimensions of the 'shattery'
Venue Length (metres) Width (metres)
Simmonds Stadium (Geelong) 170 115
ANZ Stadium (Olympic) 160 118
Patersons Stadium (Perth) 175 122
Spotless Stadium (GWS) 164 123
Adelaide Oval 167 124
Etihad Stadium 160 129
Blundstone Arena (Hobart) 175 133
Metricon Stadium (Gold Coast) 160 134
Aurora Stadium (Launceston) 165 135
TIO Stadium (Darwin) 175 135
Sydney Cricket Ground 149 136
Gabba 156 138
Manuka Oval (Canberra) 162 138
Melbourne Cricket Ground 160 141
Cazaly’s Stadium (Cairns) 173 149
MCG is too short and fat isn't it?

MCG is too short and fat isn't it?
Well it's the prototype ground ,regardless of that , clubs rarely play on a ground as skinny as Geelong's.There's 55 meters difference between length and width.

So far, all you can say is: "we are no worse than you"... and "it is all a matter of selfishness".....But that it is embarrasing for you that you think that way.

And the GFC are happy to play the Grand Final at the MCG and not in SA or WA or NSW???? Because ensuring the Biggest crowd suits their selfish principles then.

The AFL / VFL has always been a sport where rival supporters sit side by side... and where supporters travel or visit or are hosted by their opposition.

The AFL/VFL has always been a sport where games are moved to ensure that the greatest number of supporters can attend the match.

If you want to tell the other Vic clubs to GAGF.... don't expect us to support it, or your club.

Geelong has played out of Kardinia Park since 1940 - probably time you got over it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back