Is GWS's premiership window about to close?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Depends if they re-sign Leon, if they do it's closing because he can't get it done and after another two years the list will be heading south

David Bondo

Team Captain
Jul 2, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It was never really open to begin with.

Last year they finished 13-9 and 6th on the ladder for a reason. They really overachieved getting 13 wins and then the fixturing fell their way in the finals (Brisbane were basically a mid-table side that had close results go their way much like this year and were ripe for the taking).

SA HAWK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Said before their chance was around 2016-17 but they wasted it.

Since then they have lost too many good players the list isn’t as good as many think.

Jacobs & Mumford as ruckmen won’t win you a flag.

Not convinced Cameron is staying either.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
First year of their existence where they haven't been ahead of the clock. They've averaged 104 games per player which represents a fully mature team.

If they don't believe it's due to an exceptional pandemic year, they might need to make a change.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
It was never really open to begin with.

Last year they finished 13-9 and 6th on the ladder for a reason. They really overachieved getting 13 wins and then the fixturing fell their way in the finals (Brisbane were basically a mid-table side that had close results go their way much like this year and were ripe for the taking).
What? We lost by a kick to the eventual premiers in 2016. We’re the only side to have won finals every year for the last four years.
We played Brisbane away and the Pies away in the finals without a bunch of our best players and still won.
You have no idea.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Firstly I seriously doubt Clarko goes there next year. Clarko I think will leave the hawks soon but I think he wants to leave the club with a good future to build off. I think he will stick around for another 2 years and really train up Sam Mitchell and get some young players in so it is not a mess for Mitchell.

Regarding the giants, a poster I feel hit the nail on the head. They play non accountable football. It’s ironic as the giants in 2016 had a really well defined team with set roles and since then it’s like the have no set structure FWD wise or any dare.

First problem is they have way to many one pace midfielders, Tom Greene, Conoglio, Ward, Taranto & Hopper are good players but don’t offer any versatility nor any pace. Those 5 Mids don’t include Toby Greene and Josh Kelly who 2 me are there best 5 Mids.
Most teams have set roles:

Who are Giants small cowards: Greene is great but Daniels & Lloyd aren’t winning anything.
Who is the power forward. Himmelberg and Cameron are great but are CHFs they really need a power forward shame they lost Lobb and Patton with injuries as I feel they made them a better side when fit.

There key talls are good but who is the driver of Half Back. Williams is great and can play in the midfield but with the amount of injuries he has had I certainly wish they had more players like him besides Shaw. Also aware they have Whitfield but to me he can’t defend so he becomes a liability in the back half.

Gut running wingers. Who are they?? Just feels they Chuck guys like Cogs and Ward there without offering any of the same skills.

It’s funny because if you go back to that 16 team they never lost the big names e.g. Patton, Lobb, Wilson, Dev Smith,Scully, Shiel, Patfull etc yet each one of those guys played a role they never fully replaced.
This is a terrible take that shows you have no understanding.
We played less accountable footy in 2016. They didn’t even take the time to learn that Clay Smith was a left footer... who snagged multiple goals in the prelim.

Who is the driver off half back? Williams and Whitfield would be the envy of just about every team in the comp. It’s more about the structure than the individuals. Oh and we have Lachie Ash, who is having a fantastic debut season, and Isaac Cumming who was really solid until he did his hammy.

Coniglio plays mostly midfield or a bit up forward. Doesn’t play on the wing.

Lobb is a big name these days? Is he carving up out west?

Jeremy Cameron is one of the best forwards in the comp who won the Coleman last year. He’s out of form.

Our small forwards are a mixture of Daniels, Lloyd, Greene, Hill and Langdon.
Daniels is a ripper. Lloyd is a role player. Hill is young with speed and skill... just needs time at the level and a couple of preseasons to develop his tank.

Your problem is your lack of awareness in how we have spread the age profile of our list. Where it was setup to have a window of a few years (to only then see us bottom out massively when they all retire) now we have talent at ages from 19 to 30. This will ensure that our window remains open for the next ten years. Will we have a couple of down years? Probably. It’s hard to be in contention every year. But you’d have to be an idiot to say our window is closing if we don’t win it this year.

David Bondo

Team Captain
Jul 2, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What? We lost by a kick to the eventual premiers in 2016. We’re the only side to have won finals every year for the last four years.
We played Brisbane away and the Pies away in the finals without a bunch of our best players and still won.
You have no idea.
It was open in 2016 I give you that, but they blew it against a team on the road for a third consecutive week.

It was open in 2016 I give you that, but they blew it against a team on the road for a third consecutive week.
They played in the GF last year.
Also a prelim in 17
The window wasn't open then?
The reason they finished 6th last year and were so inconsistent is that there was a stack of injuries throughout the year, mostly to key players.

David Bondo

Team Captain
Jul 2, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
They played in the GF last year.
Also a prelim in 17
The window wasn't open then?
The reason they finished 6th last year and were so inconsistent is that there was a stack of injuries throughout the year, mostly to key players.

No, they were never a chance in last year's GF. They won 13 games for a reason.

No, they were never a chance in last year's GF. They won 13 games for a reason.
Well they won 16.

Richmond was the best team and a deserved premier. They smashed us up on the day. But to say the Runner up wasn't in the window is ludicrous.
The Giants had beaten Richmond earlier that year, and twice since. They were an underdog, but to say they had no chance is just folly.

David Bondo

Team Captain
Jul 2, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Well they won 16.

Richmond was the best team and a deserved premier. They smashed us up on the day. But to say the Runner up wasn't in the window is ludicrous.
The Giants had beaten Richmond earlier that year, and twice since. They were an underdog, but to say they had no chance is just folly.

Giants were no better than the 6th best side last year.

They were running on fumes by the end of last season.

In August squeaked past a Swans side that had fallen off a cliff, murdered by Hawthorn in that snow game, towelled up at home to the tune of 10 goals by the Bulldogs, big win against a Suns side that had given up.

The EF win against the Bulldogs was solid but an outlier in the Giants second half of the season. The Bulldogs are as big a bunch of flakes as GWS can't really trust them to give an honest account of themselves.

Two close, lucky wins to make it to the GF.

I just don't rate GWS.

I don't even think they have an incredible list. One dimensional players. Jeremy Cameron has been dining out on his rookie season for years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Huge game today in regards to GWS's finals aspirations this year. A loss to Fremantle would just about end their season.

It's an absolute must-win game for the Giants today.

Huge game today in regards to GWS's finals aspirations this year. A loss to Fremantle would just about end their season.

It's an absolute must-win game for the Giants today.
Absolutely. If we lose, it's all but over. We win, and I reckon we are probably better than even money to make the 8. We'll need 3 from 5 most likely. So assuming we win this one, you'd think we'd beat Adelaide. Under those circumstances you'd say we'd win at least 1 of Carlton, Melbourne or St Kilda.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Absolutely. If we lose, it's all but over. We win, and I reckon we are probably better than even money to make the 8. We'll need 3 from 5 most likely. So assuming we win this one, you'd think we'd beat Adelaide. Under those circumstances you'd say we'd win at least 1 of Carlton, Melbourne or St Kilda.
Huge win for their season. Back in the top 8 now.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Obviously 5 minute memories on this site.

GWS need to do a lot more to prove their still a flag threat in years to come.

Obviously 5 minute memories on this site.

GWS need to do a lot more to prove their still a flag threat in years to come.
Perhaps it is you with the short memory and have forgotten the past 4 seasons.
The Giants haven't been playing well this season, but it is still a very talented squad, that is still quite young.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Perhaps it is you with the short memory and have forgotten the past 4 seasons.
The Giants haven't been playing well this season, but it is still a very talented squad, that is still quite young.
You blew your best chances, injuries and hero ball didn't help though

Ricky112

Senior List
Aug 29, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Overrated, unbalanced list full of one dimensional players.

Mentally brittle group of men.

Why are these players rated so highly? Because they were high draft picks? So what.

Back