Is GWS's premiership window about to close?

They are making up the numbers but aren’t rebuilding - worst spot to be. We’ve been known to frequent this position in the past decade
We have 8 players picked inside 28 from the last 3 drafts (remaining) and a further 4 first round draft picks this year.

That is as big an influx of talent as anyone.

PJays

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
GWS should look to pick up some bargains or some experienced players like Shane Savage etc, to replace those they've lost. They have plenty of top-shelf players and plenty of draft picks, so they need some experienced guys who can plug a hole or play a role for a year or two and fill out the team.

Apart from Cameron, most of the departed players were fringe 22, or at least not amongst their best players.

One down season doesn't necessarily break a team. They were consistently deep into finals from 2016-2019 so I don't think it's wise to write them off.

Look at Richmond and Geelong- Geelong in 2006 had a down year after a couple of years of making finals. Richmond likewise in 2016. Both teams started a 3 premiership dynasty after their down year.

I'm not suggesting GWS will win 3 flags, just saying you don't write off a team based on one season. And actually, GWS went further from 2016-2019 then Geelong did in 2004-2005 and Richmond from 2013-2015.

GWS should look to pick up some bargains or some experienced players like Shane Savage etc, to replace those they've lost. They have plenty of top-shelf players and plenty of draft picks, so they need some experienced guys who can plug a hole or play a role for a year or two and fill out the team.

Apart from Cameron, most of the departed players were fringe 22, or at least not amongst their best players.

One down season doesn't necessarily break a team. They were consistently deep into finals from 2016-2019 so I don't think it's wise to write them off.

Look at Richmond and Geelong- Geelong in 2006 had a down year after a couple of years of making finals. Richmond likewise in 2016. Both teams started a 3 premiership dynasty after their down year.

I'm not suggesting GWS will win 3 flags, just saying you don't write off a team based on one season. And actually, GWS went further from 2016-2019 then Geelong did in 2004-2005 and Richmond from 2013-2015.
I think we are talking to exactly Shane Savage.
You are correct, we need a couple ready to go role players.

PJays

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think we are talking to exactly Shane Savage.
You are correct, we need a couple ready to go role players.

Savage struggled to get a game as St Kilda had a settled back 6 this year and a successful season but did well when called up for the semi final. Kicked a ripper goal from outside 50. I think he can definitely still contribute at AFL level. 165 game player.

GWS had some injuries this year, with a good run of health and some depth retained by adding guys like Savage and they could be around the mark again.

1616949848443.gif

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
May as well start them again.. Be interesting how loyal the western sydney fans are with a prolonged period of mediocrity.

I posed the exact same question to the BF public on the eve of GWS's preliminary final victory over the Pies last year (click here to see that thread) and the notion was quickly shot down as rubbish with the thread getting locked pretty quickly. Now it's time to revisit the question. Two pretty questionable losses to North and the Dogs in the last two rounds has led to the Giants currently sitting 12th on the ladder with a record of 1-2 and a very difficult fixture against the in form Magpies coming this Friday night. The Giants could very well find themselves with a record of 1-3 after 4 rounds and possibly fall into the 14-16 range on the ladder if results don't go their way. Following the Collingwood game, the Giants face Hawthorn at home and Port Adelaide away. There are also growing rumours about significant GWS players like Jeremy Cameron potentially exploring their free agency options at the end of this year.

So, let's try this again. Is GWS's premiership window on the verge of closing?
Events are showing OP to be on the money

It’s more like there not winning a flag with this coach ! give Ross Lyon that list they would be top four next season the talent is there just no structure or game plan whatsoever no accountability either

Not sure the talent is there and they need a coach that actually will try and move the ball forward they are so boring and predictable

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I actually think Leon Cameron is the man for the job. List needs a complete rebuild though like North have done.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I actually think Leon Cameron is the man for the job. List needs a complete rebuild though like North have done.
I like your sense of humour.

Still a good list that is being completely mismanaged by a coach that is way out of his depth and is doing the opposite to developing talent- he is actually destroying it.
Wouldn't surprise me to see Cameron get the bullet mid-season if there is no improvement and assuming the board is any good.

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
It’s more like there not winning a flag with this coach ! give Ross Lyon that list they would be top four next season the talent is there just no structure or game plan whatsoever no accountability either
Can't blame just the coach their best players are not playing good enough.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
I think closed, basically stuffed up. I do support them, but main problem is that initial draft picks ( including the rights to trade 4 17 year olds in 2013,2014) were so over the top, they haven't got enough support from the non swans fans in Sydney.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Arguably their best midfielder Josh Kelly also happens to be a free agent this year so they would really want to get things going soon if they want to keep him.
Do they want to keep him?

Kelly is 26 only 1 finish in their top 3 in the B&F (B&F & AA in 2017).

Contract nominally expires end of this season, however he (not the club) has an option to trigger a clause to extend his contract, worth reportedly around $1 million a season, for a further eight years.

So ~$1 mill pa until his mid 30s.

Good player, but at that money for that long?

Would any other club meet such a contract?

Back