Coach Is Hardwick now the second best coach in the league behind Clarkson?

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 qualifying final against Hawthorn no home advantage despite finishing 1st.
2018 preliminary final against Collingwood no home advantage despite finishing 1st.
So in 2018 we finished 1st, played 2 finals and received no home ground advantage?
That ever happen to West Coast or Adelaide?

That's the price you pay when you CHOOSE to share a ground with other tenants.

At worst you're playing on a neutral ground against Collingwood. It all evens out in the long run because Richmond get to play on a neutral ground when they don't deserve it.

Against Geelong in the 2017 QF Geelong insisted they play at KP but the AFL wouldn't allow it. Big advantage Richmond.

Adelaide was the higher ranked team yet had to play on Richmond's home ground for the GF. Massive advantage Richmond.

Those advantages basically won a premiership for Richmond in 2017.

At worst you're playing on a neutral ground against Collingwood. It all evens out in the long run because Richmond get to play on a neutral ground when they don't deserve it.

Against Geelong in the 2017 QF Geelong insisted they play at KP but the AFL wouldn't allow it. Big advantage Richmond.

Adelaide was the higher ranked team yet had to play on Richmond's home ground for the GF. Massive advantage Richmond.

So what you are saying is sometimes we have an advantage and sometimes we are disadvantaged? Swings and roundabouts yeah?

And playing the grand final at the G is the price you pay when you CHOOSE to be part of the AFL.

Hah! We dominated every team we played that finals series. If we won games by a kick or two then maybe you could argue that, but you really going to try to argue that when the closest a team got was 36 points? And that was the game where we were the home team as well.

Richmond only have a advantage when it suits their argument
Na mate.

Playing 7 games in a row at the G? Bullshit unfair advantage.
Playing 6 games at the G in the first 16 rounds? Who cares.

Having neutral away games because you share the ground with other teams? Bullshit unfair vic bias.
Having neutral home games because you share the ground with other teams? You chose this so it's irrelevant and doesn't matter.

Quite possibly Hardwick is the best coach in the league, he also has the best team.
Incredible how the best coaches are associated with the best teams.....
Bit like formula one, the best driver always seems to have the fastest car.
Why are they the best team? Why are GWS not the best team? His ability to have a repeatable gameplan that stands up in most conditions, consistent, disciplined structured side with a lot of names that make you scratch your head but somehow get the job done, is why he's the best in the league.

Why are they the best team? Why are GWS not the best team? His ability to have a repeatable gameplan that stands up in most conditions, consistent, disciplined structured side with a lot of names that make you scratch your head but somehow get the job done, is why he's the best in the league.

I agree totally and admire the tigers and him a great deal. I was just pointing out that you never hear the best coach in the league is the coach that has finished bottom 3 for 2 years.
Good coaches have good sides, never seen or heard of a crap premiership team or a crap premiership coach. They go hand in hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree totally and admire the tigers and him a great deal. I was just pointing out that you never hear the best coach in the league is the coach that has finished bottom 3 for 2 years.
Good coaches have good sides, never seen or heard of a crap premiership team or a crap premiership coach. They go hand in hand.
Alan Joyce was a crap premiership coach.

I've read a few comments on here that the core of Richmond's premierships sides were drafted before Hardwick was coach, so a lot of the credit should go to people before him, that he came in when Richmond were already on an upward trajectory.

What do Tiger supporters think of this?

I’m sure coaches probably get to much blame when things arent going well and get too much credit when it goes right.

The only other point I’d make is few of those core players that arrived before Hardwick or just when he started were top draft pick. Cotchin, Martin, Vlaustin Jack R.(Along with some good later round drafting and trading ... Houli, edwards,Grimes, Grigg)

But our recent list management in the last few years has pulled some more moves out of the box, in my opinion. Picket, Stack, Nank, Short, Baker,Bolton, Balta, (I Think he was almost first round pick to be fair)

We also had some top picks from pre 2015 that did not work out.

As a Richmond supporter, of course I've loved Hardwick and what he has done for the club. There's been some ancillary things about him which have rubbed me the wrong way over the years, none least the weird and insensitive comments he made about Schwarz recently. At the end of the day, he's defending his player to the nth degree and I guess that's what I want from a coach, even if ideologically I don't agree. But I am genuinely staring to think that he may be a great coach.

What he did tonight against the Cats is reflectively of what he's done consistently over four years now. Comes up against another top team in a massive hitout and completely takes their game away from them. You get to the end of a Richmond win and you often struggle to name the best on ground. Tonight it was Grimes, and sometimes it's Dusty but it's rarely a midfielder. They're a good team because they understand the gameplan perfectly, and they fulfil their roles to make it happen.

I doubt whether it's all Hardwick coming up with this stuff, but it sure as hell wasn't all Caracella and Rutten. They listen to what he says and they implement it with full understanding, and more often than not it works.

Chris Scott is the best coach in the league.
Look at how many grand finals he's taken us too with all the retirements he's had to deal with along the way.

And furthermore, his finals record says it all! You can't deny facts.

I've read a few comments on here that the core of Richmond's premierships sides were drafted before Hardwick was coach, so a lot of the credit should go to people before him, that he came in when Richmond were already on an upward trajectory.

Revisionist spin. Maybe have a read and tell me how upward things were when he started.

Richmond - now worse than Fitzroy?

He has had 4 all time greats in his team from the time they were teenagers, but he had to make them gel and play as a yeam, this has been his biggest strength, his relationships with the players

Quite possibly Hardwick is the best coach in the league, he also has the best team.
Incredible how the best coaches are associated with the best teams.....
Bit like formula one, the best driver always seems to have the fastest car.

Just finished reading the West Coast board's comments on tonight's game. More than a few opined that Richmond has no skill.

Hardwick has done an amazing job not just in game style but attitude and belief you almost feel jealous watching the bond the team has together.

Richmond’s best simply looks unstoppable much like the dominate hawks era. An “institution”... a player goes down one will replace him and they’ll keep moving forward. Lynch out will see Chol get another chance and simply fill that role.

I honestly don’t believe Hardwick has the most talented list, close to it yes but he gets a lot out of his foot soldiers.

Hardwick has done an amazing job not just in game style but attitude and belief you almost feel jealous watching the bond the team has together.

Richmond’s best simply looks unstoppable much like the dominate hawks era. An “institution”... a player goes down one will replace him and they’ll keep moving forward. Lynch out will see Chol get another chance and simply fill that role.

I honestly don’t believe Hardwick has the most talented list, close to it yes but he gets a lot out of his foot soldiers.

This, best coach in the league, if he wins this season I put Richmond's 3 in 4 as the best effort I've seen when you take into account talent at his disposal.

Hawthorn, Brisbane and Geelong teams in the last 20 years all had substantially more talent.

This, best coach in the league, if he wins this season I put Richmond's 3 in 4 as the best effort I've seen when you take into account talent at his disposal.

Hawthorn, Brisbane and Geelong teams in the last 20 years all had substantially more talent.
The league is also the weakest it's been in years.
It's all relative.

Hawthorn and geelongs flags (excluding 07) there were always 3 or 4 stand out teams with talent. Not the same now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back