Coach Is Hardwick now the second best coach in the league behind Clarkson?

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott with 2 flags puts him above Hardwick. Thats pretty easy maths I would say. I mean I only base that on winning percentages and overall w/l ratio but hey, you do you buddy.

It would be moreso the fact Scotts never had a top 10 draft pick. Cotchin and Martin were pick 2 & 3. If Dimma was in Scotts position we can say with confidence he would have no flags.

Clarkson built two list, delivered two flag eras with two different gamestlyes

He’s currently on his 3rd rebuild and wouldn’t put it past him to deliver a 3rd flag group (albeit I can’t get a read on his current style)

Best coach in my time of taking note (30 years)

I appreciate the OP wasn’t comparing - but others ... just no

Clarkson has been in the job since 2004. He's in his own world even without the flags. Literally has 0 players that were there when he arrived. Rebuilt a s**t team then retooled a good team 5/6 years later. Now onto plan C. Hardwick, Simpson etc still have a long way to go. I am a fan of the Simmo era but take out our pre-2013 players and it's a different proposition. Hopefully in another 9 years he's still in the job and we're still in the finals every year.

The sentiments are even more hostile in SA, where the Adelaide Crows finished top in 2017, were unbeaten in their two opening finals, but were then forced to travel to the MCG to play Richmond, who registered a win that can be fairly described as a technicality.
A technicality? Jesus Christ, we thumped them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clarkson is the number 1 coach in the AFL
Hardwick is number 2 coach in the AFL but with the list he has I believe will number 1 coach within the next few years.
Longmire number 3 coach
Simpson number 4 coach
All have had 1 thing in common being coached by Dennis Pagen from under 19 level thru to seniors at North.
Plus all of the 4 want nothing to do with North and you can’t blame them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was closer to never going b2b ‘14 prelim than winning 4 in a row.
A single kick decides a 3 peat or not even B2B. Far too much emphasis on the end result imo.
Is Clarkson a worse coach if the umpires make a different decision or Port find a goal through skill?

Hardwick imo is already better. I don’t need Harry hindsight or an extra flag to tell me this. I can see it already.

People will judge talent/skill based on flags and individual awards and nothing more.
I find that ridiculous as you could get someone who has never even seen a sherrin before able to judge who is the best based on that alone.

I prefer to use my eyes.
Premierships/awards can often reflect how good a team or someone is but it doesn’t always tell the right story.
The only game I mentioned that was decided by less than a kick was the one we lost

2011 - COL d Haw by 3 points
2012 - Syd d Haw by 10 points
2013 - Haw d Fre by 15 points
2014 - Haw d Syd by 63 points
2015 - Haw d WCE by 46 points

The last 6 flags have been won by clarko or someone that worked FOR him.

You prefer to use your own eyes ? Try using your brain.

Worst team since Fitzroy was the line

People have quickly forgotten the extent of the rebuild from when he took over in 2010. We were a basket case and in the first 2 years, his focus was:

1. clean out the list
  2. teach the young players drafted in how to play “modern” footy (keeping in mind he is a Clarko alumni and hence the game plan back then was similar to the Hawks).
His first 9 games as coach were all 10+ goal losses. We stunk. But he played the kids and focused on developing them. Remember him on the boundary coaching? He was the first of the modern coaches to do it for an extended period of time.

Had us playing finals after 4 years. At which we stunk at but it was a HUGE accomplishment on its own given where we had come from.

A lot of Tiger supporters were calling for his head in 2016. I don’t know what happened in that year but not only did the team lose its way but he did as well. Our game plan was terrible. Frickin dead set awful.

2017 – it’s still surreal.

2018 – best team all year until Mason Cox and the Pies tackling smashed us.

2019 – coached well to keep us in it until we got most of our players back for the 2nd half of the season and coached well to lead us to another premiership.

Clarkson is easily on a pedestal all on his own. He is a 5 goal to advantage coach. No other coach gets anywhere near that.

As for Hardwick vs Scott, not even close imo. Hardwick imo is easily better than Scott. And I don’t care for win loss records.

Definitely a good coach and people person as evidenced by the results, but Clarko is on another level.

Irrelevant to the topic of who is the best, but relevant to the topic of who is the best for the game - Clarkson.

I don’t enjoy Richmond’s bash and crash knock the ball forward game style, while Hawthorns at its peak was elegant and all class with its foot skills.

Scott with 2 flags puts him above Hardwick. Thats pretty easy maths I would say. I mean I only base that on winning percentages and overall w/l ratio but hey, you do you buddy.
Er, Scott’s only won one flag ‘buddy’. And his finals record is abysmal. You really know your stuff don’t you champ. LOL.

Irrelevant to the topic of who is the best, but relevant to the topic of who is the best for the game - Clarkson.

I don’t enjoy Richmond’s bash and crash knock the ball forward game style, while Hawthorns at its peak was elegant and all class with its foot skills.

Hardly "bash and crash" with the smallest team in the comp.

Here's some reading you'll enjoy.

Richmond’s win was great for Tiger fans but troubling for the AFL

Frolic in it, wallow in it, revel in it and let me know if it makes you feel better.

Hardly "bash and crash" with the smallest team in the comp.

Here's some reading you'll enjoy.

Richmond’s win was great for Tiger fans but troubling for the AFL

Frolic in it, wallow in it, revel in it and let me know if it makes you feel better.

I agree on the most part with that article. Different strategy and game style which I personally don’t find appealing, but the objective of coaches is to win games not to please neutrals.

Will be interesting to see how the game plan evolves over time as they always naturally do

Got to give him credit. Top two coach in the league at the moment... at least.

I still think Richmond's list especially without Rance is very good, but not really a cut above about 4-6 other teams. That's why we get seduced in finals when the Tigers are up against a team like GWS or Geelong, because on paper, it looks close. But Richmond are just so well drilled.

That second half against Geelong was a training drill, we couldn't go with them. They'd create a contest, the ball would spill out and they'd be there: not one, but two or three in space. You'd say the ball was just bouncing their way, but when it happens again and again that's down to desire and workrate. That's coaching and on field leadership.

For all the fighting over the last two years on here between Geelong and Richmond supporters, credit where it's due: this is a kick arse team and Hardwick deserves a lot of credit for where he's taken it.

I agree on the most part with that article. Different strategy and game style which I personally don’t find appealing, but the objective of coaches is to win games not to please neutrals.

Will be interesting to see how the game plan evolves over time as they always naturally do

It's the saltiest post-GF article of all time. Since that match, the "grinders" have been the highest-scoring team while their "attacking, high-scoring" opponents have slumped to 9th. There's enough sh!t in that article to fertilise the MCG.

With an exception or two I don't think the other clubs took too much notice of 2017 in the belief that it was some sort of anomaly. Maybe they'll pay more attention this time.

Last edited:
Er, Scott’s only won one flag ‘buddy’. And his finals record is abysmal. You really know your stuff don’t you champ. LOL.
I feel like you have trouble understanding what I am saying. Scott with 2 flags (currently has 1) puts him above Hardwick with 2 flags based on W/L etc.

Also, clap back when Scott loses a final to a team that finished the season in 9th.

Thanks m8.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back