Opinion Is Harry Taylor now Geelong's most important player?

Who is Geelong's most important player?

• Joel Selwood

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Patrick Dangerfield

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Harry Taylor

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Tom Hawkins

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • Zac Smith

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Mitch Clark

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Always has but it wasn't his only kicking style.
Seems like it is now.

Him, Lonergan, and occassionally Henderson seem to love kicking off 2 steps.
It's kind of starting to annoy me.

Even kolo is now doing it. Hence two huge turnovers last week.

Get on your friggin bike boys !
Lonergan is slow of mind. Takes forever to decide and then 95% of the time kicks 15 metres sideways or 50m up the line to a contest.

Lonergan is slow of mind. Takes forever to decide and then 95% of the time kicks 15 metres sideways or 50m up the line to a contest.
And when he fluffs a kick... he goes large and absolutely utensils it up

King, Mooney and Carey brought up this same discussion before the GWS game a month or so ago.
All had Taylor featuring 1st, 2nd or 3rd and not one of them had Hawkins in the most important list (pretty sure he did not get a mention).

Very surprised only two people on this forum chose Harry.

Unfortunately, was unable to find the conversation as it was a channel 7 broadcast and not a Foxfooty broadcast.

King, Mooney and Carey brought up this same discussion before the GWS game a month or so ago.
All had Taylor featuring 1st, 2nd or 3rd and not one of them had Hawkins in the most important list (pretty sure he did not get a mention).

Very surprised only two people on this forum chose Harry.

Unfortunately, was unable to find the conversation as it was a channel 7 broadcast and not a Foxfooty broadcast.
King and Moons are on Fox and Carey on 7.

Why is it easier to find fox than 7 just out of interest? Handy to know if all Fox stuff is just uploaded somewhere if I miss it

King and Moons are on Fox and Carey on 7.

Why is it easier to find fox than 7 just out of interest? Handy to know if all Fox stuff is just uploaded somewhere if I miss it

Sorry, it must have been Cameron Ling who voted Taylor.

And yes, it is easier to find FoxFooty games because of http://aussierul.es/
cb_secret.gif

Taylor, could he single-handedly be the difference between Geelong challenging for more silverware or merely making up the numbers?
I ask this question as there seems to be something unfilled about his career to date. He's that brilliant of a football player, we should really be discussing him as one of our greatest ever defenders. But he's not. He looked like he was going to challenge Scarlett for a short period of time there.

Having watched Taylor recently in the International Rules series, we are reminded of just how awesome he can be when he's up and about.
If Taylor can recapture that All Australian form, not only match it but take his game up another notch, will he be just as important as what Ottens was at the tail end of his career?

I know this an old post... but it does show how quick it can all change. I cant remember your position on Henderson Bobby but surely his form has probably done a lot of what we might have hoped from HarryT...

On most important? Depends on what we a talking about ... Taylor, Selwood and Danger and a few others are probably important as they are the backbone of the side... but in a way Id say a player like Cockatoo could be VIP because we really dont know what he could do if he played above what should be expected. Probably more than any other player on our list his upside is almost unknown. It would seem its is high end X factor... and so if he could bring a few things that few others can , he might be the factor that few have really calculated. It would seem most commentators think they have a handle on Geelong.. Cocky has the ability to throw that handle out the door and down the street. Unfair probably to expect it..but this is AFL and expectations of performance are a part of the gig.The great thing is he seem the type where that will not worry him..its just all about if he can just get over the little mistakes.

I reckon you could put money on Harry being "managed" this weekend and Hendo coming back in. I know he has always had a bit of a funny running gate, but the last couple of weeks he has looked really sore and limping around. Now to be fair to Harry he has still been kicking arse and this hasn't impacted his ability or desire to win the contest, but leading up to the finals we need Harry fit and firing at 100%.

Now this might be a reach, but watching Harry struggling around the field, in particular check out some of the footage of Harry coming out onto the ground after half time, he can hardly run, I'm worried Harry might not have as many years left in him as we would have hoped for. Now again I'm not pushing him out the door and think he is playing as well as ever, but it just looks like the wear and tear has caught up to Harry really quickly. Here's hoping it is only some niggles and nothing long term.

As for the poll, is it still the case going into 2017? Is Hawkins still our most important player?

Hawkins now has less support than last season so losing him would be massive. We also need to find ways to move the ball quicker inside 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're our best players, no doubt about that.
But I still reckon we have the least quality coverage for Hawkins ..
And there is a difference between best and most important.
Could we now win a final without Danger, or Selwood?
Or even a game?
Used to think it was Hawkins, then Taylor.
Now that we have seen what Danger brings to our team, he would create a huge hole if missing.

And there is a difference between best and most important.
Could we now win a final without Danger, or Selwood?
Or even a game?
Used to think it was Hawkins, then Taylor.
Now that we have seen what Danger brings to our team, he would create a huge hole if missing.

I still think it's Hawkins. Selwood and Dangerfield had 78 possessions between them in the Prelim and it made no difference at all to the result. Plus the reality is they are two (admittedly by far the best two) of a big midfield group. Other players can cover that position.

In Hawkins' case we have no cover for him at all.

I still think it's Hawkins. Selwood and Dangerfield had 78 possessions between them in the Prelim and it made no difference at all to the result. Plus the reality is they are two (admittedly by far the best two) of a big midfield group. Other players can cover that position.

In Hawkins' case we have no cover for him at all.
Agree, but when we beat NM, we played a smart game with multiple goal scorers and no bombing it up. Menzel at his best is really close to our MVP.

Arguably they had a case. If Clark had worked, we wouldn't have tried a ruckman, a North Melbourne reject and a CHB so far in that second-tall-forward role.

It was always a big 'if' imo Jez .. Clark had obviously missed a lot of football before pulling on the hoops, and in any case I was never convinced that he'd complement Hawkins; their games were too similar ..
The fact is there just aren't that many tall forwards worth a pinch of poo in the comp; we're lucky to have one decent key forward. As you alluded to in another thread, it pretty much takes a high first round pick to get any young KF of note, or else some kind of pre-draft concession (which is how we were able to get Hawkins). Last time I checked, Ben Brown's the only decent KF currently running around who was taken late-ish in the draft ..

Back