Opinion Is Harry Taylor now Geelong's most important player?

Who is Geelong's most important player?

• Joel Selwood

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Patrick Dangerfield

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Harry Taylor

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Tom Hawkins

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • Zac Smith

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Mitch Clark

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

yep exactly.
I think Taylor is the most important player for us next season. His absence would be a lot more profound as opposed to no Hawkins. We have Kersten, Menzel, Henderson, even Dangerfield all viable options to play full forward if it came to it but down back, Taylor completely sure's us up in every which way.
As you said in your post, If Taylor recaptures his best form, we improve so much more than what some of us have envisioned. And I'm a firm believer Thurlow & Kolodjashnij are going to improve out of sight which again strengthens the back half of the field.
Henderson, Lonergan and Kolo down back is a lot lot more capable then our forwards. Odd that you didn't put Clark or Vardy but kersten and Dangerfield (what the?). Henderson is a very ordinary forward and much better defender.

The ball moves too fast.
Very few backs will ever be classed as exceptional (never mind great) unless you stop the bleeding from stoppages.

Is he great at reading the play? Yep! Will he just be a good back if we keep losing clearances on the wing (for example) yes.

Malarkey was a better defender than Taylor. And malarkey is miles behind Scarlett.

For me, the most valuable players to the team are Selwood, Hawkins and a fir & recognisable #1 ruck - either Stanley or Smith, depending on pre-season form.

In terms of most important, I would say that is almost the guy who is partnering Hawkins up forward, because if we find ourselves in a position where our #2 forward is doing their job, presenting as a target during games and being dangerous on the scoreboard, then that will lift the pressure on Hawkins, and suddenly we may find ourselves in a situation where 75%+ of our forward movement isn't directed at Hawkins. It will take pressure off him, and we won't need him kicking 3/4 goals a game to be competitive, but no doubt with less pressure on him, the opportunity for larger bags of goals should present themselves.

The ball moves too fast.
Very few backs will ever be classed as exceptional (never mind great) unless you stop the bleeding from stoppages.

Is he great at reading the play? Yep! Will he just be a good back if we keep losing clearances on the wing (for example) yes.

Malarkey was a better defender than Taylor. And malarkey is miles behind Scarlett.

Thats an interesting comment that - the latter part being laughable - some one who is completely ignorant of a footballers 1st 4 or so senior years

I allways thought Jack Hawkins was a slightly better CHB than Harry Taylor - because he was more attacking and gave more run - J Hawkins missed about 10 weeks in 81 with a serious knee injury - made his return against Fitzroy at the Junction Oval and was best on ground - an amazing effort - i can still see Hawkins with that old trainer George Clarke - they were both in raptures about how well he went 1st up

Now your point about Malarkey being a mile behind Scarlett - what a load of s**t

Malarkey ( unlike Scarlett) was a star player from day 1 - beautiful kick - played in a premiership team at East Perth in 72 alongside Mal Brown John Burns Ron Alexander Bradley Smith etc etc - but an ignoramus like you would be totally unaware of that

Scarletts 1st 40 games were dead set shocking - talk of him even being delisted

They both ended up top notch fullbacks for Geelong - i thought Malarkey played in a harder era for full backs - because they had to beat their direct opponent one out . I can remember Jack Dyer responding to someones question on WOS - why have Richmond got Michael Roach up on the wing/half forward - " to get him away from Malarkey " - thats a pretty big rap - and they hadnt even played Geelong the prevoius day !!

Jarrod Rivers ( was the proof in the pudding ) as to how much easier a key defenders role is today - i thought he was a very average player for Melbourne - yet he came in as a direct replacement for Scarlett ( who had retired) and Rivers looked like a top class defender in the Geelong colours - where it was 1 against 3

The ball moves too fast.

Most are :D
Scarlett is THE best defender I've ever seen, particularly from a 1 on 1 and ability to attack/read the play side of things.
Phenomenal player.

On our MVP it is Hawkins.
Key focal point, major goal scorer, leadership.
He ticks every box required and we simply have no backup if he went down.
Sure if we were a 10-14th type of team you could PLAY others in his position but to have the same impact? No chance.
Don't forget he is often double to triple teamed, that releases pressure on the players that those defenders are matched up on (albeit possibly unable to provide impact to take advantage of the fact) so if we had to say play Kersten is his role teams wouldn't require those numbers, ergo their defense is far better all over ergo our forwardline becomes impotent.

Just watching our round 14 game against Essendon from 2007 and a case of sliding doors just occurred to me.
What if Johnno Brown never broke Egan's foot, do we then draft Taylor in the 2007 draft or do we take Scooter Selwood as we don't have the pressing need to take a KPD to cover the Egan injury?

Just watching our round 14 game against Essendon from 2007 and a case of sliding doors just occurred to me.
What if Johnno Brown never broke Egan's foot, do we then draft Taylor in the 2007 draft or do we take Scooter Selwood as we don't have the pressing need to take a KPD to cover the Egan injury?
Brian Brown (born 27 September 1957) is a former Australian rules footballer who played with Fitzroy and Essendon in the Victorian Football League (VFL).

Brown, who often played in the
back pocket, struggled with injuries while at Fitzroy but put together 15 games in 1977 and 19 games in 1978. He missed the entire 1980 season through injury but returned in 1981 to add a further seven games and during the year bring up his 50th VFL game.[1] This would later prove crucial as the Brisbane Lions were able to sign his son Jonathan under the Father-Son Rule in 1999.
Bugger we were looking at Brownie.

Thats an interesting comment that - the latter part being laughable - some one who is completely ignorant of a footballers 1st 4 or so senior years

I allways thought Jack Hawkins was a slightly better CHB than Harry Taylor - because he was more attacking and gave more run - J Hawkins missed about 10 weeks in 81 with a serious knee injury - made his return against Fitzroy at the Junction Oval and was best on ground - an amazing effort - i can still see Hawkins with that old trainer George Clarke - they were both in raptures about how well he went 1st up

Now your point about Malarkey being a mile behind Scarlett - what a load of s**t

Malarkey ( unlike Scarlett) was a star player from day 1 - beautiful kick - played in a premiership team at East Perth in 72 alongside Mal Brown John Burns Ron Alexander Bradley Smith etc etc - but an ignoramus like you would be totally unaware of that

They both ended up top notch fullbacks for Geelong - i thought Malarkey played in a harder era for full backs - because they had to beat their direct opponent one out . I can remember Jack Dyer responding to someones question on WOS - why have Richmond got Michael Roach up on the wing/half forward - " to get him away from Malarkey " - thats a pretty big rap - and they hadnt even played Geelong the prevoius day !!

Jarrod Rivers ( was the proof in the pudding ) as to how much easier a key defenders role is today - i thought he was a very average player for Melbourne - yet he came in as a direct replacement for Scarlett ( who had retired) and Rivers looked like a top class defender in the Geelong colours - where it was 1 against 3
I agree with every thing you say except for the bit about VC being an ignoramus,no bugger it I agree with that too:D

Well nice comments.
Thanks for that.

I rated malarkey. My point was to show how far Taylor was behind Scarlett.
In that I view Scarlett as a far, far better defender than malarkey.

*rushes off to check the team of the century*
Oh look, he (malarkey) didn't make the 26 man squad.

There is no way in hell Scarlett would be left out if it was done now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They all are. But if we lose Selwood or Dangerfield, there are still ten other midfielders. We lose Hawkins, and there is.........

(Need the tumbleweed gif now)
Yep, mostly agree, but consider that our lack of quality or experienced midfielders has been at the heart of our recent troubles, and if we lost Selwood and /or Dangerfield, I wouldn't fancy our chances against quality opposition. Whereas, those two in the team, I feel pretty confident of being competitive against most sides this year. ( plus the continued experience of others, and Henderson etc)

They all are. But if we lose Selwood or Dangerfield, there are still ten other midfielders. We lose Hawkins, and there is.........

(Need the tumbleweed gif now)
That would depend on Mitch Clark the games he played in 2015 he looked more agile and better over head than Hawk and was kicking superbly. Availability of cause is the issue.

Last edited:
Henderson can play....Dont write him off just yet mate,,,he's got good hands, a beautiful kick, and he's got courage....lets give the guy a chance to show his stuff at a club he WANTS to play for.

Nevertheless...looks like a defender to me.....

Last edited:
Well nice comments.
Thanks for that.

I rated malarkey. My point was to show how far Taylor was behind Scarlett.
In that I view Scarlett as a far, far better defender than malarkey.

*rushes off to check the team of the century*
Oh look, he (malarkey) didn't make the 26 man squad.

There is no way in hell Scarlett would be left out if it was done now.
And Scarlett on field leadership was critical to our 07, 09 and 11 years and Premierships. Mooney says that the messages he sent down the ground were important and without his BBQ for players only at the end of the 09 season that one may never have happened.

I voted danger because he could and probably will play the biggest part in dragging us into the finals. Then again, we need solid rucks...SOS call to ottens 'please help us'

And Scarlett on field leadership was critical to our 07, 09 and 11 years and Premierships. Mooney says that the messages he sent down the ground were important and without his BBQ for players only at the end of the 09 season that one may never have happened.
Bbq?

Yea...he had Justin Murphy on the rotisserie..

I voted danger because he could and probably will play the biggest part in dragging us into the finals. Then again, we need solid rucks...SOS call to ottens 'please help us'

It won't be danger who drags us to the finals...though he will help...it will be the performances of Menzel, Vardy, Henderson, Smith, Clark and Scooter ( and maybe Menegola?) and their improved contribution to the overall performance that will tell the tale. There is a lot of talent in that lot but we have to wait and see what we get from them.

We know what we'll get from Danger.

Back