Winnipeg Jets
Because this is a suspension
giphy.gif

and this is a TWO week suspension

View attachment 1095821

but this is nothing

View attachment 1095826

View attachment 1095828

he was never going for the ball it was an intentional round arm to the back of the head. Geelong fans only ask for consistency but it seems the rules are only consistently applied to Geelong.

If you're a tin hat conspiracy freak sure.

If you're a tin hat conspiracy freak sure.
So you agree with the MRP that Hawkins should have been rubbed out for those two instances but also think Hartigan should be fine? Which seems contradictory to me.

Or

You disagree with Hawkins suspensions in which case fair play to you, but you will then need to admit inconsistent with the MRP.

But then again I don’t know what your position on the examples I showed was because you never present one. You have done nothing to counter my position you just used an Ad Hominem to attack me personally.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So you agree with the MRP that Hawkins should have been rubbed out for those two instances but also think Hartigan should be fine? Which seems contradictory to me.

Or

You disagree with Hawkins suspensions in which case fair play to you, but you will then need to admit inconsistent with the MRP.

But then again I don’t know what your position on the examples I showed was because you never present one. You have done nothing to counter my position you just used an Ad Hominem to attack me personally.

Hawkins was suspended after about the 15th or 16th jumper punch. The 3rd or 4th for the year.

It went from being ignored to being fined to being suspended because he simply didnt learn.

So this is Hartigan's 1st chance. He has maybe 14 to go before suspension?

That said I think the 50m was appropiate. Or maybe a fine as well for being dumb and giving away a 50m penalty.

Burro

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
'If you hit the head, you'll be accountable': Gill on the bump*

* All heads are sacrosanct, some are less sacrosanct
Maybe we need to see Gill on the thump.
This could become the gold standard for fist to the head in marking contest. Measure everything, the position of the bodies, the times involved, what the players are looking at etc. Then use it as a defence in any case for any club.
Really I just want to know if I can tell the under 12 team to smack the kid in front in the head when he takes a mark..... So he earns it.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
I would grade it intentional not careless, the ball was marked well before and he decided to aim for the head wasn't going for the ball.

They tend to give the benefit of the doubt when the ball is in the vicinity so my guess is they go with careless. As I said, I'd be quite happy for it to be assessed as intentional I just don't think the tribunal will.

Burro

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
They tend to give the benefit of the doubt when the ball is in the vicinity so my guess is they go with careless. As I said, I'd be quite happy for it to be assessed as intentional I just don't think the tribunal will.
He is looking at Hawkins head when he hits it......not the ball.

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
He is looking at Hawkins head when he hits it......not the ball.

I guarantee you the argument will be he couldn't see the ball because he's behind the player and was swinging his arm in a misguided attempt to knock the ball. Not saying it's right - just saying on precedent that's the way the tribunal tends to work.

Burro

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I guarantee you the argument will be he couldn't see the ball because he's behind the player and was swinging his arm in a misguided attempt to knock the ball. Not saying it's right - just saying on precedent that's the way the tribunal tends to work.
That is fine. He just needs to be responsible for his actions. His choice to do it. I think everyone knows he was just taking a cheap shot and got it a bit wrong. But the message needs to be clear, only question is what will the message be?

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I've got no problem with him getting a week but you are deadset kidding yourself if you think that counts as medium impact. My guess is it will be graded as high contact, low impact and careless - a $1,000 fine with the early plea. Easy way to change it is change the calculator. Automatic 1 week if you collect the head.
It's cant be graded as intentional and careless.

If it's graded as intentional, low impact and high, he gets a week.
Should get a week for being stupid I reckon.

Smedts_2

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
$2k fine. Some heads more sacrosanct than others it would seem.

For as long as the AFL insists on penalising outcomes rather than intentions, we’re going to have this stupidity.

But most importantly - * you Channel 7 and your approving reference to Frawley. Bunch of absolute clowns.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Bit strange. Blatant strike to the head from behind, have a fine and see you next week. At least a jumper punch is executed while facing the victim.

Not good optics.

Danger chose to bump but was rated Careless.

Should he get another week and Hartigan get a week ?
Big difference - Danger executed a body bump with an accidental head clash ensuing. Hartigan executed a round arm head hit

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Big difference - Danger executed a body bump with an accidental head clash ensuing. Hartigan executed a round arm head hit

A bump has the potential to cause head injury.
A late spoil has the potential to cause head injury.

These days spoils are more approved than bumps - which the AFL are trying to phase out of the game.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
A late spoil has the potential to cause head injury.

These days spoils are more approved than bumps - which the AFL are trying to phase out of the game.

Those saying it was deliberate would argue that the action was not a spoil. It was a good old fashioned "made him earn it".

If indeed one does classify it as a spoil, then yeah it counts as careless.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Those saying it was deliberate would argue that the action was not a spoil. It was a good old fashioned "made him earn it".

Maybe he had watched Nankervis get the ball knocked out his hands seconds after taking a mark on Saturday and it being called play-on... so thought to spoil.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Was a frustrated swipe at the head and nowhere near the ball. TBH I don't see much difference between this and Rohan, except maybe the medical report.

Back