apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Chud doesn't need to spend any time in the main team. He needs to be allowed time to mature and develop his body/core strength before worrying about playing seniors. There is absolutely no doubt he possesses talent and is a natural footballer. He has very quick hands and makes great decisions under pressure. Kicks the ball very well and takes a good grab.
Be patient and the rewards will come.
I'm not being impatient. I just believe that being given a taste of the level you are aspiring too gives you a knowledge you can't gain at the lower level. When he is playing well and the team has improved their inside 50 kicking I think he will benefit from the experience. It is why many cricketers are brought into the senior team and then dropped back to improve on the weaknesses that often only the higher level can expose. It's for education purposes, not because of impatience. I'm happy to bring up Apeness into the senior team more permanently first. He is more ready.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm not being impatient. I just believe that being given a taste of the level you are aspiring too gives you a knowledge you can't gain at the lower level. When he is playing well and the team has improved their inside 50 kicking I think he will benefit from the experience. It is why many cricketers are brought into the senior team and then dropped back to improve on the weaknesses that often only the higher level can expose. It's for education purposes, not because of impatience. I'm happy to bring up Apeness into the senior team more permanently first. He is more ready.

Happy to give him an education but only after the season is shot. Let's try winning a few games first.

Fyfster

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont
I agree with Jock ,let's think of him as a 2019 and beyond prospect , If he is absolutely bashing the door down later this this season then maybe a game or two this season is on the cards . But let's not rush things .

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Happy to give him an education but only after the season is shot. Let's try winning a few games first.
I imagine quiet a few will be brought into the team before him, including Cerra, Crowden, North, Apeness, and Duman to name a few. With a possible 4 debuts in 2 weeks, I don't know where that leaves us in the 'winning games' stakes. I imagine it will cost us some wins along the way especially early.

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why did he slip to pick 44?

Let's just see how good he is in an actual wafl game.

So far the afl listed players have played wafl scratchies against teams that may have been resting players and not playing for points.

It's just Banfield looking awesome in JLT games. WAFL pre season games are a bigger step down again.

Having said that I do want him to get a taste of AFL soon.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Let's just see how good he is in an actual wafl game.

So far the afl listed players have played wafl scratchies against teams that may have been resting players and not playing for points.

It's just Banfield looking awesome in JLT games. WAFL pre season games are a bigger step down again.

Having said that I do want him to get a taste of AFL soon.
He did kick 6 goals against a team with 14 West Coast listed players in it but yes lets wait and see once regular season starts this weekend. And he may not have Cerra and Crowden supplying him in the coming games, so will be interesting if that makes a difference.

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
He did kick 6 goals against a team with 14 West Coast listed players in it but yes lets wait and see once regular season starts this weekend. And he may not have Cerra and Crowden supplying him in the coming games, so will be interesting if that makes a difference.
I bet Dixon will be thinking to himself. Geez I hope this Bennell dude can kick a footy like Cerra.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I bet Dixon will be thinking to himself. Geez I hope this Bennell dude can kick a footy like Cerra.
True. Bennell is playing for Peel next week (WAFL rd 2), not this weekend btw. I feel a bit sorry for the Swans... Bennell, Dixon, Apeness and Jetta all in the Peel forward line is going to be quite hard to stop.

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Screenshot_20180328-222041.png

Walshy1

All Australian
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Did anyone see how Dixon went for Peel? I also heard he did something to his ankle?

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
A good sign of High's work ethic was that he had 5 tackles yesterday and only played half the game.

Just to put it into perspective, Swita had the most tackles of the Docker listed players with 6. He played the whole game and those that saw the game rated his defensive pressure.

mattis117

Premium Platinum
Aug 20, 2010
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester City
Yeah look under normal circumstances I would agree, but these are dire times. He comes in, so what if he gets beat up and dropped after 2 or 3 games, the knowledge, the hunger to get better, that would come from those games would be invaluable in his development!

The comment "when you know, you know" was absolutely tongue in cheek, but sometimes its rings true!

Unless you find a Chris Judd, there is nothing like having a young, gun key forward!

You're being an armchair psychologist here. 'Throw them in the deep end' is not the universal best method for bringing kids through the system. Sure, there are personalities that can handle it, but there are many that cannot. AFL teams have large medical teams, including those looking at mental attributes to determine the learning environment in which that person thrives.

Look at Brayshaw - he has been lauded for his leadership and maturity, and he clearly has the composure to compete as an AFL mid. We have seen nothing to suggest that Dixon could handle AFL conditions. As Moo has been saying, playing 1 on 1 in a forward line is chalk and cheese to playing as a mid.

In some cases, a young player getting absolutely destroyed in an AFL game has a negative impact on their psychological well-being, particularly because the AFL environment is a fishbowl and the negative attention can be hard to handle. This was seen in Dawson getting destroyed by Rocca, Jack Watts always having the weight of the Number 1 pick on his back, and you can include Taberner who has clearly struggled with the mental side of the game.

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
You're being an armchair psychologist here. 'Throw them in the deep end' is not the universal best method for bringing kids through the system. Sure, there are personalities that can handle it, but there are many that cannot. AFL teams have large medical teams, including those looking at mental attributes to determine the learning environment in which that person thrives.

Look at Brayshaw - he has been lauded for his leadership and maturity, and he clearly has the composure to compete as an AFL mid. We have seen nothing to suggest that Dixon could handle AFL conditions. As Moo has been saying, playing 1 on 1 in a forward line is chalk and cheese to playing as a mid.

In some cases, a young player getting absolutely destroyed in an AFL game has a negative impact on their psychological well-being, particularly because the AFL environment is a fishbowl and the negative attention can be hard to handle. This was seen in Dawson getting destroyed by Rocca, Jack Watts always having the weight of the Number 1 pick on his back, and you can include Taberner who has clearly struggled with the mental side of the game.

I cant wait to find the time to read this, I mean with a start like that, it can only be a must read!!!

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle

Besides the go-to line when you dont agree, you have some good points. Like the chalk and cheese comparison, the #1 Draft pick tag he doesnt have, the Pavlich shadow not covering him or not having to worry about having a FF kick 8 goals on him!

Sorry mate, but looking back at the bad things from history that 'could' happen, really is a piss poor arguement!

mattis117

Premium Platinum
Aug 20, 2010
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester City
Besides the go-to line when you dont agree, you have some good points. Like the chalk and cheese comparison, the #1 Draft pick tag he doesnt have, the Pavlich shadow not covering him or not having to worry about having a FF kick 8 goals on him!

Sorry mate, but looking back at the bad things from history that 'could' happen, really is a piss poor arguement!

Maximum level of condescension, minimum understanding of what I said. It is not a piss poor argument, I think it's not hard to acknowledge that people are different, and what works for one doesn't work for others.

Did I say don't do it because of the bad things that 'could' happen? No, I did not. Nor did I claim or assume anything; I said the club have personnel that look into mental health (fact), and that their assessments would determine if early selection is a good path to take for an individual.

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
I am so ****ed that he hurt himself. Hope he gets back in time to play a dozen games this year even if they are all for Peel.
Maybe a blessing in disguise. He can park himself in the gym for the next 2 months and work on the guns. He's got a big frame and will be huge when he bulks out.

Back