Is Hugh Dixon our Next Pav?

So where's this kid at? Currently injured? Hard to find any news on him, expecting big things.
Currently injured so will miss playing for Peel this week. Has shown good things so far but is now behind Hogan, Taberner, Lobb, McCarthy and Cox as a taller player trying to get into the fwdline.

Without an injury list that is catastrophic, it will be hard to see how he gets a game

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Currently injured so will miss playing for Peel this week. Has shown good things so far but is now behind Hogan, Taberner, Lobb, McCarthy and Cox as a taller player trying to get into the fwdline.

Without an injury list that is catastrophic, it will be hard to see how he gets a game

Yeah, it seemed weird that he got picked up at 44 a year ago, and since then you've grabbed Hogan and Lobb

I know he got an extension, I just don't know what you'll do with him

All those guys you mentioned are basically 24-25, it's not like there's a staggered replacement strategy either

I'm sure there's a plan, i just don't know what it is

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, it seemed weird that he got picked up at 44 a year ago, and since then you've grabbed Hogan and Lobb

All those guys you mentioned are basically 24-25, it's not like there's a staggered replacement strategy either

Depth - they way our injuries have gone the last two years it's not inconceivable he could get a run, or form drop in one of the others. If we end up with too many quality talls we can always trade one to fill a pressing need like a midfielder or small forward - ALA GWS.

I'd be happy to see him develop at Peel for another year. He shows glimpses but is in no way ready to be a consistent AFL performer yet.

Couldnt have guaranteed we got Hogan and Lobb when we picked him up. At the time we had Tabs, Cox and McCarthy and that was literally it. No depth watsover. Picking him up made sense and I imagine we also thought he was too good not to pick up.

But when you are depth and your team adds two high profile players for your position it puts you a fair way back.

Fully expect us to trade one of Cox (stay away from him, he's a gun), Taberner or Dixon in the next couple of years

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
I think (from what Ive read) that he has two key competencies, good overhead marking and a good shot on goal.
I have no problem keeping him on the list for another few years to let him get a bit bigger. He has great guys to learn from. He's what 18/19 now? In another 3 or 4 years he'll be ready from KPF size standpoint.
If just needs to get bigger, there's worse players to keep on the list at minimum pay until he's ready.

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Couldnt have guaranteed we got Hogan and Lobb when we picked him up. At the time we had Tabs, Cox and McCarthy and that was literally it. No depth watsover. Picking him up made sense and I imagine we also thought he was too good not to pick up.

But when you are depth and your team adds two high profile players for your position it puts you a fair way back.

Fully expect us to trade one of Cox (stay away from him, he's a gun), Taberner or Dixon in the next couple of years
If we trade Cox I'll throw up.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tabs should be traded. Just needs to string a solid 10-12 games this year and he will have currency
This.
As much as like tabs , if signing him to another couple years means we lose either cox or Dixon I’ll be ropable.

Still just a hunch at his stage(tho i was keen on him even before we drafted him) but I reckon Dixon has some really good attributes to make a very good kpf at some stage

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle

Exactly.
Too many times in the past (under Lloyd and bond) we tried to be too cute with our drafting and trading.
We basically tried to be “cheap “

Putting all our eggs in one basket eg grabbing jack Anthony thus passing on jack darling in the ND or using a preseason pick on jack Hannath then passing on Grundy in the ND .

When Jarrod brander and especially Oscar Allen were snapped up by wc with their 2 first picks it raised eyebrows.
Don’t think their too many people would say they got it wrong now.
If the players too good to pass up then just pick them and deal with what comes after.

Injuries, form loss , there’s no guarantees in AFL.
If you be got too many good players in the one position so be it you you trade out for a position of weakness , that’s the whole point of the trade period

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I think Cox is over-rated. No doubt he is very promising, but I don't think it is so easy to predict what happens with individual KPPs. especially forwards. I remember Connolly being asked about whether the club needed more KPP depth, and his reply was along the lines of; we don't have heaps of players, but they are all quality. Murphy, Polak, Drum, etc. uuurgh.

I like having the stable full with KPPs at the moment. Keep them growing and developing. Hogan is a high risk investment. Lobb may end up needing to play ruck. McCarthy is enjoying the current structure but is a bit flakey. I also read in Dixon's bio that he has also played in defence, which makes it interesting.

The current direction with our forwards, for better or worse, is for them to be multi-positional. In that regard we are blessed with riches. If Walters, Hogan, McCarthy and Sturt can be realistic midfield part-timers then it gives us great flexibility in how we rest players. It gives us cover if someone critical like Fyfe is taken out of the game. Having Cerra resting forward while Sturt runs in the midfield would be exciting. It also gives us a built-in mechanism for shaking the opposition strategy to close down individual players by changing their role if required.

The other talls in Lobb, Taberner and Cox also have a legitimate use beyond the forward line. If push comes to shove I think that kind of thing is critical in deciding who is a keeper, and who may be let go. Dixon either has to be a significantly better forward, or he will need to have a definitive point of difference from the others. Ironically, his point of difference could be that he is the better pure forward. Time will tell.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
This.
As much as like tabs , if signing him to another couple years means we lose either cox or Dixon I’ll be ropable.

Still just a hunch at his stage(tho i was keen on him even before we drafted him) but I reckon Dixon has some really good attributes to make a very good kpf at some stage
Not sure that trading Taberner because you have a hunch about Dixon would be the way to go. Just keep them developing.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not sure that trading Taberner because you have a hunch about Dixon would be the way to go. Just keep them developing.

What player is going to be happy sitting at Peel if they are good enough to play AFL ?

If we sit Cox at Peel all year he's out of here contract or not

every player is really a ' free agent ' these days it's just if their young you get a pick back , no club seems to have the balls to hold players against their will

You can probably keep Dixon around for a bit longer because he's unproven but Cox?

No way

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
What happens in 5+ years?

Cox needs to stay for future proofing. Dixon, well, depends on how he develops but he is a project player at this stage (as are all skinny 19 year old kpfs), but probably needs to stay for future proofing. Would hate to be in the same position we have been in, without KPFs in a handful of years.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
What player is going to be happy sitting at Peel if they are good enough to play AFL ?

If we sit Cox at Peel all year he's out of here contract or not

every player is really a ' free agent ' these days it's just if their young you get a pick back , no club seems to have the balls to hold players against their will

You can probably keep Dixon around for a bit longer because he's unproven but Cox?

No way
Generally agree, but would also add;
  • If Cox can't force his way past Taberner then he isn't as good as you think he is. And if he would rather leave than taking up that challenge, then bye bye too.
  • Any player is trade-able
  • Any decent player gets targeted by other clubs for trading.
  • IF Geelong asked for Cox in return for Kelly, I'd have no problems with doing that. Same for Taberner. You trade from areas of list depth to balance out your list weaknesses.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
What happens in 5+ years?

Cox needs to stay for future proofing. Dixon, well, depends on how he develops but he is a project player at this stage (as are all skinny 19 year old kpfs), but probably needs to stay for future proofing. Would hate to be in the same position we have been in, without KPFs in a handful of years.
Cox may want to leave at some stage, who knows. Having Dixon in the pipeline makes us a little less vulnerable if that happens.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Generally agree, but would also add;
  • If Cox can't force his way past Taberner then he isn't as good as you think he is. And if he would rather leave than taking up that challenge, then bye bye too.
  • Any player is trade-able
  • Any decent player gets targeted by other clubs for trading.
  • IF Geelong asked for Cox in return for Kelly, I'd have no problems with doing that. Same for Taberner. You trade from areas of list depth to balance out your list weaknesses.

Any player is not tradeable , it's way easier for a player to go to the club of their choice than for the club to trade a player were they want them to go

By the way trade out one of your favourite players not mine you bugger

Coxy will make you chew on that overrated jibe , he's got the greatest gift any footballer can have ... the knack

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Any player is not tradeable , it's way easier for a player to go to the club of their choice than for the club to trade a player were they want them to go

By the way trade out one of your favourite players not mine you bugger

Coxy will make you chew on that overrated jibe , he's got the greatest gift any footballer can have ... the knack

I think you've got your budgie smugglers done up a bit too tight Tony.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I really cant Comment On hugh Dixon. As most of you know going by my posting, I do live in this place that is a Glorified Petrol station known as Adelaide.

I have only seen the WAFL stats. He had some good games last season. Hell, I am shocked he didn't get a debut game late last season.

Back