Is it a slap in the face to assistant coaches if Buckley is considered to leave the game "empty-handed" despite being an assistant in 2010?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t understand the obsession with talking about Buckley and premierships.

There are so many players and coaches who have left the game in the same position. Ablett the biggest for mine
It's how we measure greatness. Nafe was a good servant for the Collingwood Football Club but as player not in the realm of his peer Voss and as coach couldn't live up to the standard Malthouse set at the Pies.

3c4a738fbb3d7ac0807403075c207173

There are so many players and coaches who have left the game in the same position. Ablett the biggest for mine

It is overblown and spoken about too much, but how many others have been involved in 500 odd games as a player or coach without a premiership?

Left Brisbane to play finals.

Nek minnut…

Probably cause of his unlucky circumstances.

Leaves Brisbane and they win 3 flags including two against his old club.

Takes over a Pies team who doesn’t really want to play for him, spends a few years changing things around and loses a grand final by a kick and a prelim the next year by a kick.

Seems harsh I would have thought.

It's the equivalent of a player who doesn't play in his team's premiership side. Like NicNat in '18. Yeah, he contributed to the win but nobody counts it. I agree it's unfair but we only care about the Grand Final itself in this league.

It's just lazy journalism / reporting / commentary for the sake of brevity. Only the truly incompetent and uninformed would not know about 2010. Most just choose to leave it out to ham up the narrative. Putting a qualifier on it doesn't help drive clicks / listeners / HYPE

Also don't forget this game is obsessed with excluding people. Premiership medals for the 22 people who play on grand final day ONLY. Sorry Tony Modra, you leave the league EMPTY HANDED.

Yeah I’ve always considered 2010 to be on his resume, he obviously played a key role.

I’m pretty sure they ‘count’ internally too.

For example, I’ve heard Justin Leppitsch getting a few extra flags added to the list in recent weeks while he’s been getting his mug on the telly….and he sure as s**t didn’t win those as head coach at Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's how we measure greatness. Nafe was a good servant for the Collingwood Football Club but as player not in the realm of his peer Voss and as coach couldn't live up to the standard Malthouse set at the Pies.

if buckley stayed at the lions, he'd definitely have three, possibly four

So in your alternate world everything at Brisbane would have just played out as it did, just with Buckley in the team…

No list management implications or different drafting decisions. Same team (minus one) just with Buckley in it.
Exactly. Spot on. You’ve got it. Clever.

This isn’t basketball. People do not measure an individual’s success based on premierships unless you don’t know much about the game.
I’m not saying flags are irrelevant to an individual but it’s not the measure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back