Analysis Is it acceptable for AFL clubs to be politically biased?

Remove this Banner Ad

The clubs don’t stand for anything, they just attach themselves to trends that make them look good. Going with the flow is the easiest way to keep the fans on side. If the fans want to truly believe the club feels strongly about something then even better for the club.
All clubs will continue to tell you what you want to hear. You will feel proud, warm and fuzzy and then keep funding the club.

I’ve noticed a recent trend of AFL clubs making comment on political issues, such as Australia Day etc.

Is it fair for them to make comment on issues that over 50% of their members disagree with?

Who decides to post on behalf of the club on this stuff?

Discuss.

You do understand that most clubs in the league, certainly the Victorian legacy VFL clubs, were literally founded on basis of political bias?

Why do Footscray/Western Bulldogs have red, white and blue and a bulldog as their iconography? Because they were founded as a bosses club on the west something akin to Glasgow Rangers ... a good solid Protestant loyal club, as opposed to unruly Catholic/pro trade inion clubs around them.

Also, where di you pull the over 50 per cent of members disagreeing with figure from?

Do over half of Essendon members oppose their indigenous stance? Highly doubt it. Same at North.

I’ve noticed a recent trend of AFL clubs making comment on political issues, such as Australia Day etc.

Is it fair for them to make comment on issues that over 50% of their members disagree with?

Discuss.

I'm not a big fan of the AFL / Clubs jumping in on every latest trend, as I (and I imagine many others) simply want to watch the football and not hear political or social commentary that we're hammered with through most other avenues in life. However, there are situations where clubs taking a public stance does make sense.

Aboriginal rights are one of them, given that most AFL clubs have at least some players of Aboriginal background, and Essendon (for example) has a strong connection to The Long Walk Foundation.

I'm not a big fan of the AFL / Clubs jumping in on every latest trend, as I (and I imagine many others) simply want to watch the football and not hear political or social commentary that we're hammered with through most other avenues in life. However, there are situations where clubs taking a public stance does make sense.

I'm glad it happens. Worst racist abuse I've ever heard at the footy was Essendon supporters on Phil Krakouer in 1986, he kicked half a dozen in a Friday nighter.

Worse than Victoria Park, worse than Moorabbin, worse than Kardinia Park. Some Essendon hero threw a can at him when he was having a shot at goal from the boundary line.

Not being a complete racist scumbag was "the latest trend" in 1986, seen as unnecessary social and political commentary by those who just wanted to watch the footy.

Would you say it was unnecessary or over the top now?

Essendon rapidly turned from being the most racist crowd to one of the most supportive and informed on indigenous issues - because Kevin Sheedy took the lead.

Now you boast about your Dreamtime blockbuster.

This is a Good Thing and what needs to happen.

I'm glad it happens. Worst racist abuse I've ever heard at the footy was Essendon supporters on Phil Krakouer in 1986, he kicked half a dozen in a Friday nighter.

Worse than Victoria Park, worse than Moorabbin, worse than Kardinia Park. Some Essendon hero threw a can at him when he was having

Not being a complete racist scumbag was "the latest trend" in 1986, seen as unnecessary social and political commentary by those who just wanted to watch the footy.

Would you say it was unnecessary or over the top now?

Essendon rapidly turned from being the most racist crowd to one of the most supportive and informed on indigenous issues - because Kevin Sheedy took the lead.

Now you boast about your Dreamtime blockbuster.

This is a Good Thing and what needs to happen.

there are situations where clubs taking a public stance does make sense

Discuss.
why not? The clubs have a role in setting examples etc in society, so why shouldnt they hold positions on things?

people only raise these questions when its something they dont like. If Cricket australia had said "* the abos, life is better with the english, australia day forever" no-one would be complaining.

Its a reflection of the culture supported within the AFL community.

If you'd like to see a direct comparison of how progressive culture is supported, look at AFLW.

The AFL doesn't live what it preaches.

Still doesn't answer why an individual should disclose information about their private life for the good of the AFL

You kind of miss the point

Not really.

My point was that most people want to go to the football and watch the football, not be surrounded by social or political commentary on every issue under the sun.

But, where relevant, clubs can (and should) take a public stance. Aboriginal rights being possibly the most relevant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still doesn't answer why an individual should disclose information about their private life for the good of the AFL

You're highlighting my point and the issue without realising it here.

The gay players know they would be used, key word, by the AFL as a marketing and publicity vessel if they came out because the AFL is so supportive of homosexual players that not a single one has felt comfortable coming out while playing yet.

The AFLW doesn't have a long history of being unwelcoming to gay players so when clubs post pictures of their players celebrating their marriages it's because they are celebrating too and they've done that for years already. It's how it should be, equality and celebrating human life and love.

The AFL does have a long history of shame to dig itself out of and it continues, now with the added circus that would come with being the first keeping people quiet about their own human life and love stories as that AFL use them to show people how progressive they are.

In 2021 they would all be better off shutting the **** up! Entertainment and politics is a recipe for disaster and is heading in the wrong direction. (Cricket Australia being a prime example) And recently we have seen the worst mix of politics, sports and entertainment since Lincoln decided to catch a play!

A lot of it is how much stuff is tagged as “politics” these days.

It’s because we have a government that doesn’t really run the country, but (with the help of a complaint media) prefers to play culture wars and symbolism with things that aren’t really politics in Australia traditionally.

Something like the Australia Day issue is a perfect example. People want to change it because it’s meant to be a day of celebration, yet it’s blatantly painful to a section of our community.

Simply taking the feelings and views of others into account isn’t political for many people. It’s not an issue that aligns with who you might vote for. It’s more about being a prick versus not being a prick. And there’s always been pricks who vote Liberal, pricks who vote Labor, pricks who vote Greens, and vice versa etc.

But we’ve systematically had this “left / right” culture war garbage forced on us and rammed down our throats that it’s seen as “politics” now. Politicians and media make a “political” issue of it to divide us further and further.

I don’t care who you voted for. If we’re meant to have a “day to celebrate our country”, and you’ve got one group saying “that’s actually the one day we don’t want”, refusing to change it (and here’s the important part) when there’s literally zero cost to changing it... well, at absolute best, you’re inconsiderate. Really, you’re just a bit of a turd, and it doesn’t matter in the slightest where you put your “1” on the paper at an election. It’s not politics for me.

Let's be honest... Almost to a tee, anyone that says "sporting clubs and organisations should stay out of politics" is in reaction to aforementioned sporting club and/or organisation supporting a stance they themselves do not take.
and it is also always a progressive one that doesnt mesh with their conservative hogwash.

something like "gays should be treated equal", "dont abuse women and children", "accept people who are different", "dont be racist"

A lot of it is how much stuff is tagged as “politics” these days.

It’s because we have a government that doesn’t really run the country, but (with the help of a complaint media) prefers to play culture wars and symbolism with things that aren’t really politics in Australia traditionally.

Something like the Australia Day issue is a perfect example. People want to change it because it’s meant to be a day of celebration, yet it’s blatantly painful to a section of our community.

Simply taking the feelings and views of others into account isn’t political for many people. It’s not an issue that aligns with who you might vote for. It’s more about being a prick versus not being a prick. And there’s always been pricks who vote Liberal, pricks who vote Labor, pricks who vote Greens, and vice versa etc.

But we’ve systematically had this “left / right” culture war garbage forced on us and rammed down our throats that it’s seen as “politics” now. Politicians and media make a “political” issue of it to divide us further and further.

I don’t care who you voted for. If we’re meant to have a “day to celebrate our country”, and you’ve got one group saying “that’s actually the one day we don’t want”, refusing to change it (and here’s the important part) when there’s literally zero cost to changing it... well, at absolute best, you’re inconsiderate. Really, you’re just a bit of a turd, and it doesn’t matter in the slightest where you put your “1” on the paper at an election. It’s not politics for me.
very well said mate. since when did being nice to people and aiming for a society in which everyone feels welcome become a 'political' issue.

very well said mate. since when did being nice to people and aiming for a society in which everyone feels welcome become a 'political' issue.

Since politicians and the media turned the whole thing into a “culture war”... which the more cynical of us may suggest was to distract the people from the horrific job of governing and corruption they undertake.

It’d be *in great if politics was about growing the economy, healthcare, education, working conditions and jobs... etc etc etc... and we’d judge them on that.

This is pretty much politics worldwide sadly, everything is brought down to Twitter argument level stuff.

I'd hazard a guess that if you said "We're moving Australia Day to January 24th because <insert vaguely relevant historical event>" most people wouldn't care, they simply enjoy a long weekend around the mid-late January window before schools go back.

An obvious step would be if / when Australia becomes a republic - and it probably will happen once the Queen is gone - that they do it some time in mid-late January and move the national holiday there.

I'd hazard a guess that if you said "We're moving Australia Day to January 24th because <insert vaguely relevant historical event>" most people wouldn't care, they simply enjoy a long weekend around the mid-late January window before schools go back.

An obvious step would be if / when Australia becomes a republic - and it probably will happen once the Queen is gone - that they do it some time in mid-late January and move the national holiday there.

For selfish reasons I'd rather one some time in the second half of the year - WA only has three public holidays from July to December inclusive and two of them are Christmas and Boxing Day.

What possible candidates are there if we change the date?

Discuss.

1 It is not a recent thing

2 How do you know 50% of their members disagree with whatever they have said? You have just made that up

3 The marketing people decide to make comment, in order to keep the brand out there in the media, and to appeal to new supporters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back