Analysis Is it acceptable for AFL clubs to be politically biased?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 3, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Heat, Victory, Man Utd, Redskins
I’ve noticed a recent trend of AFL clubs making comment on political issues, such as Australia Day etc.

Is it fair for them to make comment on issues that over 50% of their members disagree with?

Who decides to post on behalf of the club on this stuff?

Discuss.

AFL clubs are just that - clubs. As organisations comprised of individuals they are free to express their views however they so wish - whether on supporting 'Change the Date', Donald Trump or Holocaust denial.

Its members are also free to agree or disagree, and if they disagree enough they are free to cancel their membership.

What irks me is when people complain that sport should be avoid being political - it has never been free of politics and it is a whitewashing of history to pretend otherwise.

AFL clubs are just that - clubs. As organisations comprised of individuals they are free to express their views however they so wish - whether on supporting 'Change the Date', Donald Trump or Holocaust denial.

Its members are also free to agree or disagree, and if they disagree enough they are free to cancel their membership.

What irks me is when people complain that sport should be avoid being political - it has never been free of politics and it is a whitewashing of history to pretend otherwise.

That's a crap argument, and who gets irked these days? We watch football because we enjoy the sport, we don't want to hear the views of some wokeaf leftie or equally absurd extreme right winger.

That's a crap argument, and who gets irked these days? We watch football because we enjoy the sport, we don't want to hear the views of some wokeaf leftie or equally absurd extreme right winger.

You're obviously one of them.

If you cannot stomach what a player, club or league is promoting then you always have the option of protesting it, cancelling memberships, stop watching etc. If the AFL want to ban all political statements, also up to them, and then you can also vote with your social media account, wallet or TV viewing etc.

You're obviously one of them.

If you cannot stomach what a player, club or league is promoting then you always have the option of protesting it, cancelling memberships, stop watching etc. If the AFL want to ban all political statements, also up to them, and then you can also vote with your social media account, wallet or TV viewing etc.

Good idea, I don't want the AFL to make political statements so I'm not going to watch them on TV.

That'll teach them !

I always enjoy the "I wish the club would focus less on politics and more on winning games."

Yeah Essendon had been a running joke on the field for 15 years coz the social media guy posted on Facebook today.

I’ve noticed a recent trend of AFL clubs making comment on political issues, such as Australia Day etc.

Is it fair for them to make comment on issues that over 50% of their members disagree with?

Who decides to post on behalf of the club on this stuff?

Discuss.

AFL clubs are free to make comments on whatever they want, and if fans such as yourself disagree with it then you can simply go support a more right wing club.

Good idea, I don't want the AFL to make political statements so I'm not going to watch them on TV.

That'll teach them !

You don't have to watch AFL. Plenty of people have apparently stopped watching because of the myriad of rule changes and lack of scoring, so if more want to jump off because of views about Australia Day then that is their prerogative too.

It's just entertainment, not your livelihood.

AFL clubs are free to make comments on whatever they want, and if fans such as yourself disagree with it then you can simply go support a more right wing club.

I agree. AFL clubs have far more to lose by not getting into line with what they perceive as the prevailing winds of society than keeping quiet on issues and focusing on winning games, for the subtext reason you mentioned.

If you say nothing, you're labelled right wing.

Make no mistake though, if the clubs thought that the opposite idea was the prevailing view - they'd be supporting that publicly too.
The goal isn't to champion social causes, it's the bandwagon on them so they don't stand out.

They are using the issues like almost everyone else in a political position. Using being the key word.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs should stay out of the politics and trendy social causes of the day and focus on their core business. We’re adults and can decided for ourselves what to think, what our opinions are and whether to give a s**t or not. There’s enough crap and misery shoved down our throats at work, in the media, on the internet and by big business nowadays. The days of following your favourite sporting team and forgetting about life for a couple of hours a week is just about over. Clubs have become so brand conscience, wanky media departments frightened to death by not endorsing the cause of the day.
As if I’m going to listen and agree just because they wear my teams colours to what some out of touch millionaire sportsperson says or not.

I disagree. They should be neutral or represent the majority at the very least.

I agree. AFL clubs have far more to lose by not getting into line with what they perceive as the prevailing winds of society than keeping quiet on issues and focusing on winning games, for the subtext reason you mentioned.

Make no mistake though, if the clubs thought that the opposite idea was the prevailing view - they'd be supporting that publicly too.
The goal isn't to champion social causes, it's the bandwagon on them so they don't stand out.

They are using the issues like almost everyone else in a political position. Using being the key word.
Further to this, I'll give you an example.

If the AFL was the progressive beast it would like to present itself as, why are there currently no openly gay AFL football players? There absolutely are gay AFL players at the moment but their social progressive talk is just that, talk. Their culture is totally different on the inside.

Just see it all for what it is, posturing and self promotion. It's hot air that changes nothing.

"The Australian government is free to make comments on whatever they want, and if you don't like it simply go live overseas".

"The Australian government is free to make comments on whatever they want, and if you don't like it simply go live overseas".

The government is free to make comments, set policies and even make laws that affect you. If you don't like it, you can contact your representatives and ultimately exert power via the ballot box.

That's a silly analogy.

I always imagine Geelong as right wing for some reason, mostly because quite a lot of their supporters on bigfooty are super right wing.

The government is free to make comments, set policies and even make laws that affect you. If you don't like it, you can contact your representatives and ultimately exert power via the ballot box.

That's a silly analogy.

It's just as silly as telling die-hard fans to simply "swap clubs" if they don't like comments the current administration is making

I disagree. They should be neutral or represent the majority at the very least.
Don't worry, A tweet isn't going to rid the reputation of collingwood supporters. It will take far more than that to change 120 years of Institutionalised racism at the club.

It's just as silly as telling die-hard fans to simply "swap clubs" if they don't like comments the current administration is making

Being a fan of or a member of a club is completely voluntary and does not impact your ability to live.

If you were to racially abuse someone at a match you're banned for life from the club, you don't have any 'right' to be a part of a sporting club - supporting a club is simply not essential or a human right or anything like that.

Don't worry, A tweet isn't going to rid the reputation of collingwood supporters. It will take far more than that to change 120 years of Institutionalised racism at the club.

Racism sounds a bit like tarnishing supporters of one club with the same brush doesn’t it.

Being a fan of or a member of a club is completely voluntary and does not impact your ability to live.

If you were to racially abuse someone at a match you're banned for life from the club, you don't have any 'right' to be a part of a sporting club - supporting a club is simply not essential or a human right or anything like that.

Okay, so you don't get it. Don't worry.

As others have said if you don’t like what your club stands for then either don’t support them, change the way in which you support them (eg not financially, stop attending) or support another club more aligned with your views.

Clubs worldwide have forever been formed through political, employment or religious associations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back