Analysis Is it acceptable for AFL clubs to be politically biased?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gaawd, how pathetic are you?
It's true mate, Pies have blown this one.
The club could have apologised properly to Andrew Krakeour and Lubumba but they didn't.
Alan McAlaster still has his photo up at the club and he made disgraceful comments.
Plus the club doesn't recruit black players much.
Players were calling Lubumba 'chimp' how effed up is that?

I'm guessing the aflw pride round is triggering the homophobic right wing snowflakes on here.

Who am I kidding. They're not even watching because they oppose the notion of women's sport.
Sorry bro, but that's a generalisation.

If AFLW was played in my front yard, I'd draw the blinds and go to bed. Not because I am opposed to womens sport, but because the product is crap. The gap between mens and womens aussie rules is a gulf.

However, I can watch womens cricket, swimming, basketball no problem.

It's true mate, Pies have blown this one.
The club could have apologised properly to Andrew Krakeour and Lubumba but they didn't.
Alan McAlaster still has his photo up at the club and he made disgraceful comments.
Plus the club doesn't recruit black players much.
Players were calling Lubumba 'chimp' how effed up is that?

Andrew Krakouer still regularly goes to Collingwood games...this was his take on HL situation a few years back

Sorry but people trying to make out Collingwood are the KKK are deranged and have no sincere interest in reducing societal racism.

Pathetic

Andrew Krakouer still regularly goes to Collingwood games...this was his take on HL situation a few years back

Sorry but people trying to make out Collingwood are the KKK are deranged and have no sincere interest in reducing societal racism.

Pathetic
It's a pretty easy thing to fix.You just need better leadership at the club.

If you read my post you will see that I agree with most of what you say. However, I believe the term "Invasion Day" is a misleading assessment of what happened. In fact, I think it is provocative to the good, ordinary Australians who have a deep sympathy for indigenous recognition and reconciliation. The overwhelming number of Australians were glad to see the PM at the time apologise for past wrongs. What is it that the proponents of "Invasion Day" want? Do they want us to all pack up and go back to where our ancestors originated? Like that's going to happen. We don't hold current day Germans responsible for what happened during WW2.

Good, ordinary Germans.

I have a question for all those who share that sentiment, which seems to be only said around things like Indigenous round, Australia Day, Multicultural round, Pride Game, Same Sex Marriage support that one side of Politics has an issue with.....

To be consistent do you also believe that Anzac Day observance at the AFL needs to be stopped? That is an occasion dedicated to members of the military, part of the government, carrying out the orders of a political entity. It is inherently political.

As far as crowd involvement goes AFL crowds aren’t required to actually do anything at a pride game or indigenous round, but must stand and observe at minute’s silence at an Anzac Day game. Heaven help anyone who chooses not to.

To me this is a far more political event than any LGBT or Indigenous AFL recognition.

So if we are the get rid of Indigenous and LGBT recognition at football, then I believe to be consistent dispense with Anzac round as well.
This was about the removal (getting rid) of Australia day as opposed to the recognition of it.
As stated previously I don't have an issue with moving the date and I understand that part of our nation feels strongly about it.
The question is, do sporting bodies need to recognise every diversion or should they concentrate on recognising those who have contributed to their game?
For instance our indigenous people have overtly contributed significantly to Australian Rules, Rugby league and union codes over an extended period of time.

This was about the removal (getting rid) of Australia day as opposed to the recognition of it.
As stated previously I don't have an issue with moving the date and I understand that part of our nation feels strongly about it.
The question is, do sporting bodies need to recognise every diversion or should they concentrate on recognising those who have contributed to their game?
For instance our indigenous people have overtly contributed significantly to Australian Rules, Rugby league and union codes over an extended period of time.
Well the AFL has made a point (for years) of trying to generally improve the rights and life of aboriginals (and other black people) in society as a whole. That kinda necessitates them having a position on australia day.

the only way they could feasibly ignore it, is if they were to ignore aboriginal issues altogether.

No its bad for the club. Annoying members for no gain is stupid.

Issues are over-simplified, e.g. what reasonable person would object to players kneeling as a stand against racism? Take a closer look at the objectives of BLM and it ain't that simple. Defund the police? What *arsery is that? Abolish the nuclear family?

What reasonable person would object to a stand against domestic violence? Then White Ribbon quietly began supporting late-term abortion.

Some of these organisations bear closer scrutiny.

No its bad for the club. Annoying members for no gain is stupid.
No gain? Sponsors might beg to differ. There's a reason McGuire didn't sit in front of a board displaying Collingwood's vast array of blue chip sponsors when he responded to this report.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL should stop moralising and pushing political agendas down our throats.

The AFL will paint a rainbow flag or aboriginal flag on the grounds, endorse players to take a knee for something happening on the other side of the planet, but when it comes to systemic racism at their most famous club they turn a blind eye, when it comes to the highest profile president and one of the highest profile figures in the industry making appallingly racist or bigoted comments in the media, they turn a blind eye.

They should shut their mouths if they aren't willing to address problems in their own backyard.

Collingwood and Eddie McGuire are probably the most racist club and club leader in world sport. I couldn't imagine any club or club figure in the western world getting away with such egregious racism for so long in 2021.

The AFL should stop moralising and pushing political agendas down our throats.

The AFL will paint a rainbow flag or aboriginal flag on the grounds, endorse players to take a knee for something happening on the other side of the planet, but when it comes to systemic racism at their most famous club they turn a blind eye, when it comes to the highest profile president and one of the highest profile figures in the industry making appallingly racist or bigoted comments in the media, they turn a blind eye.

They should shut their mouths if they aren't willing to address problems in their own backyard.

Collingwood and Eddie McGuire are probably the most racist club and club leader in world sport. I couldn't imagine any club or club figure in the western world getting away with such egregious racism for so long in 2021.
Hilarious.
It was less than 10 years the head of Adelaide recruitment said he would never recruit an aboriginal player. Have you conveniently forgotten that?

Hilarious.
It was less than 10 years the head of Adelaide recruitment said he would never recruit an aboriginal player. Have you conveniently forgotten that?
That was utter BS!! I take it you're talking about Matt Rendell?

This is precisely why the AFL should stick to administering the game and keeping its nose out of other matters, believing it is bestowed the title of holy arbiter!

Matt Rendell was crucified for pointing out the difficulties associated with transitioning young aboriginal boys/men into AFL environments. He was merely making the point clubs needed more help with this otherwise clubs would be less inclined to draft aboriginal players. Anyone who deliberately misinterprets this is only looking for an angle to stand on their soapbox and label the other racist. Like that slimy piece of excrement Demetriou did.

That was utter BS!! I take it you're talking about Matt Rendell?

This is precisely why the AFL should stick to administering the game and keeping its nose out of other matters, believing it is bestowed the title of holy arbiter!

Matt Rendell was crucified for pointing out the difficulties associated with transitioning young aboriginal boys/men into AFL environments. He was merely making the point clubs needed more help with this otherwise clubs would be less inclined to draft aboriginal players. Anyone who deliberately misinterprets this is only looking for an angle to stand on their soapbox and label the other racist. Like that slimy piece of excrement Demetriou did.

it was a throwaway line.... apparently.
a bit Like feeling up black blokes in the changing rooms? that was just a throw away action.

"Anyone who deliberately misinterprets this is only looking for an angle to stand on their soapbox and label the other racist. "

its a different story for collingwood though isn't it.

Well the AFL has made a point (for years) of trying to generally improve the rights and life of aboriginals (and other black people) in society as a whole. That kinda necessitates them having a position on Australia day.

the only way they could feasibly ignore it, is if they were to ignore aboriginal issues altogether.
actually does it? How does ignoring Australia day improve the rights and lives of aboriginals?
Will changing the date improve their lives?
Are we talking about their day to day lives because if you talk to their elders the most important issues is drugs and alcohol related.
To me the Australia day issue is more of a non aboriginal issue.

Treating each person with respect is a far greater way of influencing their lives.

it was a throwaway line.... apparently.
a bit Like feeling up black blokes in the changing rooms? that was just a throw away action.

"Anyone who deliberately misinterprets this is only looking for an angle to stand on their soapbox and label the other racist. "

its a different story for collingwood though isn't it.
Where are you going with this?

I've made no reference to Collingwood. In fact I don't know enough of the Collingwood situation to make an informed judgement. My life experience tells me this would not be an isolated Collingwood issue. I went from a predominately ethnic High School to a prestigious private school in the mid-70's. I was racially vilified back then (although back then we gave back even better). So do I name and shame that school for being systematically racist? No. We move on and appreciate that society has changed and we don't tolerate these things anymore. The only uninformed opinion I have of the Collingwood situation is I would doubt there is a culture of racism at the club at the moment, and that Lumumba is not all there based on what I have observed of him.

If you think Rendell made a throw away line about aboriginals and you want to draw analogies with blokes in a change room, then you're living in lala land.

Where are you going with this?

I've made no reference to Collingwood. In fact I don't know enough of the Collingwood situation to make an informed judgement. My life experience tells me this would not be an isolated Collingwood issue. I went from a predominately ethnic High School to a prestigious private school in the mid-70's. I was racially vilified back then (although back then we gave back even better). So do I name and shame that school for being systematically racist? No. We move on and appreciate that society has changed and we don't tolerate these things anymore. The only uninformed opinion I have of the Collingwood situation is I would doubt there is a culture of racism at the club at the moment, and that Lumumba is not all there based on what I have observed of him.

If you think Rendell made a throw away line about aboriginals and you want to draw analogies with blokes in a change room, then you're living in lala land.

Rendall was made out to be a racist, Rendall is remembered now for being a racist. The tigers players fondling Chol was reported as racism.

According to you, these were not racist acts?? I don't think they are , but they are reported as racist acts.

There are hundreds of examples across AFL history showing all clubs, fans, players having done what Collingwood has done or is supposed to have done. Some are outright racism and some are twisted by the media or embellished by certain individuals.

Yet it is my club that is labelled systemically racist. If Collingwood is, Richmond is, Adelaide is and so too the entire AFL (excluding the newbies GWS & GC perhaps)

Now you're the biggest club in the land. The media witch hunt for stories out of Tigerland is intensifying, as seen by the Cotchin and Dimma hate.

In a few years time Richmond may receive the level of media hate that we receive and attempts to bring you down, lets see if you enjoy it.

Rendall was made out to be a racist, Rendall is remembered now for being a racist. The tigers players fondling Chol was reported as racism.

According to you, these were not racist acts?? I don't think they are , but they are reported as racist acts.

There are hundreds of examples across AFL history showing all clubs, fans, players having done what Collingwood has done or is supposed to have done. Some are outright racism and some are twisted by the media or embellished by certain individuals.

Yet it is my club that is labelled systemically racist. If Collingwood is, Richmond is, Adelaide is and so too the entire AFL (excluding the newbies GWS & GC perhaps)

Now you're the biggest club in the land. The media witch hunt for stories out of Tigerland is intensifying, as seen by the Cotchin and Dimma hate.

In a few years time Richmond may receive the level of media hate that we receive and attempts to bring you down, lets see if you enjoy it.
I've been around long enough not to believe a word the media says. There is news which you process, like for example, an earthquake, etc. Then there is regurgitated garbage designed to brainwash the masses and fill air time and newspaper columns, or webpage hits.

If you think Matt Rendell is a racist because the media told you he was after putting their spin on the matter, or what the Richmond players did in the change rooms was racist because the media told you it was; then you would believe George Floyd was a saint and destined to be canonised!! That low life piece of puss was nothing more than a common scumbag criminal. His last jail term of 7 years was for aggravated burglary where he put a knife to a heavily pregnant woman whilst off his face!! Picture that. You're at work, your heavily pregnant wife is at home minding her own business and this low life scum of the earth breaks in and does that to her. Do you need the media to then portray him as a saint because he met an unfortunate death at the hands of another criminal? I don't care what the colour of his skin is, he's scum!! I'll make that judgement.

See how the media can whip up a frenzy. ATM the media is focusing on Collingwood because they are a big club and generate more interest than the minnows. Richmond the same. No doubt there has been some level of racism at Collingwood in the past, but I would think no more than anywhere else in the AFL or society in general. But the good old media love to whip up a storm.

I’ve noticed a recent trend of AFL clubs making comment on political issues, such as Australia Day etc.

Is it fair for them to make comment on issues that over 50% of their members disagree with?

Who decides to post on behalf of the club on this stuff?

Discuss.
Is it political though? Or social?

Politics unfortunately hijacks social issues.

It's unfortunate that by agreeing that racism is not cool you're labelled a political lefty.

Or by laughing at a blonde joke you're labelled a right wing jerk.

Often an opinion on a social issue has absolutely zero to do with flog politicians and political parties.

Clubs forming a position on what is right or wrong isn't necessarily a bad thing. Given their position in the community is probably stronger than the Catholic church these days, I don't see why it's an issue given they've been doing it for 1000s of years.

Collingwood and Eddie McGuire are probably the most racist club and club leader in world sport.
Couple of Eastern European clubs might give them a run for their money, I reckon.

It's just as silly as telling die-hard fans to simply "swap clubs" if they don't like comments the current administration is making
Go to the AGM and have your say, ring the club up and tell them your thoughts stop being a whiny bitch.
What social agendas do you have problem with your club addressing?
Domestic violence
Homophobia
Sexism
Racism
Those nasty footy clubs trying to make people be nicer to each other.

I think that’s taking it too fa Frankly.

I don’t have a problem with the club supporting Dreamtime and ANZAC Day. I buy an ANZAC badge every year and think programs like Dreamtime Game and The Long Walk are great examples of positive events for their respective causes. Dreamtime focussed on a positive celebration these indigenous people have made to society and specifically football. ANZAC Day marks the respect we pay to X servicemen have made to this country. In both cases, almost entirely accepted as positive causes by the public..

However, carefully written, formal official statements of the kind we saw from Essendon on Australia Day was a step too far. Unlike the above events, these statements implied quiet endorsement of the minority view that this day should not be celebrated and represented an ‘Invasion Day’. This position is divisive and not supported by the majority of people / members as supported by the notably left wing, Ipsos poll which said only 28% of people wanted the date of Australia Day to be moved.

That’s a clear difference and the club will have to accept the division it’s caused and whatever impact that has on its membership or other forms of support.

Translation - I'm happy to support these causes with token gestures but the minute any real comments are made or actions taken that challenge my views (no matter how soft handed they may be) I'm going to meltdown and demand the club stay out of politics

Remove this Banner Ad

Back