Is it professional, the way...

Remove this Banner Ad

The Clokes

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2003
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nathan Brown is treating the Bulldogs?

personally I think it’s a joke… he has the nerve to go on the footy show… giving vague answers – saying the bulldogs is where he wants to play… and then says his manager is looking at other options…

just come out and say your leaving… and stop making a fool of your self on national TV.

Portia

#DrewBlood
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog Port Adelaide - Jesse Palmer Player Sponsor 2017 Podcaster Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2001
Fragile bastion of liberalism
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens
Professional, like clubs waiting until the end of the season to renew their coach's contract?

Professional, like clubs signing a player to a multi-year deal, then telling them that they're no longer needed and off to Fremantle?

Professional, like clubs signing players from other clubs on the basis of a high wage, then asking them to take a pay cut within a month of the trade being done?

Seems as professional as anything else in the AFL.

SCRAY72

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2002
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I agree with Porthos, Browny has done nothing wrong, he is just a different personality to most players and the media are lapping it up. His answer to the repetitive question about his future is naturally going to get a cliched response.
Browny will spice it up when he can. I think he is doing well to remain calm under the circumstances.
We at the Bulldogs are resigned to the fact that he might go, what we are more concerned about is the trade and the compensation we receive.

hotpie

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
May 1, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Originally posted by Porthos
Professional, like clubs waiting until the end of the season to renew their coach's contract?

Professional, like clubs signing a player to a multi-year deal, then telling them that they're no longer needed and off to Fremantle?

Professional, like clubs signing players from other clubs on the basis of a high wage, then asking them to take a pay cut within a month of the trade being done?

Seems as professional as anything else in the AFL.

As professional as signing a player on a 1.2 mil per annum backloaded contract then trying to squeeze him to oblivion when the time comes. Good on you Kouta.

scmods

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2002
Is it annoying, the way...

Is it annoying, the way....

.... people don't put useful subjects on their posts, so you have to go into it to find out it's something you don't give a flying **** about?

Yes, it is ****ing annoying.

FFS people, put the subject of the post in the subject field, that's what it's there for.

Wojee

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2003
Somewhere
AFL Club
Carlton
Originally posted by hotpie
As professional as signing a player on a 1.2 mil per annum backloaded contract then trying to squeeze him to oblivion when the time comes. Good on you Kouta.

Point taken, but ~20% less on a $1.2mil contract is hardly squeezing him to oblivion.

ACT exile

Senior List
May 19, 2003
In Hell
Other Teams
Fremantle
Re: Is it annoying, the way...

Originally posted by scmods
Is it annoying, the way....

.... people don't put useful subjects on their posts, so you have to go into it to find out it's something you don't give a flying **** about?

Yes, it is ****ing annoying.

FFS people, put the subject of the post in the subject field, that's what it's there for.

Spot on, any post ending with three periods should be automatically deleted along with any spurios questions from the klokes

hotpie

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
May 1, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Originally posted by Wojee
Point taken, but ~20% less on a $1.2mil contract is hardly squeezing him to oblivion.

A contract is a contract. Its unprofessional to try and sqirm your way out of it by using the guilt card.

Jun 14, 2002
in a tree
Other Teams
Glenelg

but it's still some serious dosh. He is still one of the first picked for Carlton.

It's a lot more than most players who get lauded for taking cuts for the 'good' of the team, which are usually in the tens of thousands, not hundreds.

hotpie

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
May 1, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Originally posted by naughty monkey

It's a lot more than most players who get lauded for taking cuts for the 'good' of the team, which are usually in the tens of thousands, not hundreds.

Kouta already took a substantial cut last year.

Wojee

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2003
Somewhere
AFL Club
Carlton
Kouta already took a substantial cut last year.

If I understand correctly, the current dispute isn't about another cut, but rather something to do with how the increase for next season is calculated and also some problem with GST payment.

If Carlton was held to the contracts irresponsibly signed off by Elliott's board, they'd have been over the salary cap again this season.
I don't blame Collins or Kouta for the current problem, I blame the previous board, and Allison for negotiating Kouta's ridiculous contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hotpie

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
May 1, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
If I understand correctly, the current dispute isn't about another cut, but rather something to do with how the increase for next season is calculated and also some problem with GST payment.

Yes. Kouta expects a pre-agreed % increase on his original contract, while Collins wants the % increase based on the revised contract.

You would have thought that Collins would have renegotiated the contract last year so it was watertight, and both parties fully understood what would happen in 2004. Collins cannot blame everything on the past management.

Wojee

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2003
Somewhere
AFL Club
Carlton

You would have thought that Collins would have renegotiated the contract last year so it was watertight, and both parties fully understood what would happen in 2004. Collins cannot blame everything on the past management.

Probably part Collins and part Allison at fault that it wasn't done so there'd be no disagreement this year.
I wouldn't be surprised if the details were rushed to get the contract and list lodgment in on time. From memory there was already an extension given to Carlton to negotiate with Lappin. (I may be incorrect in my recollection here though)
You're correct, any problem with the current contract can't be blamed on the previous board. The previous board did leave a hell of a mess to try to clean up though.

I can't help but think that any other player manager wouldn't go bleating to the media as soon as there was a dispute.
Allison is a parasite.

Back