Opinion Is it time for a draft lottery?

It it time for a AFL draft lottery?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the NBA and think they do it very well, but I don’t think we need it.

Reckon we’ve more or less killed tanking already, especially since the abolition of the priority pick.

If you introduce the lottery you take a step towards removing equalization and the cyclical nature of the ladder. And I think that’d be a real shame.

Tanking is probably more effective in basketball due to smaller teams - so a single player effects the team more.

And I think tanking in AFL hasn't really helped - it seems to be very negative on club culture when you look at the decade after teams that have done it.

Tanking is probably more effective in basketball due to smaller teams - so a single player effects the team more.

And I think tanking in AFL hasn't really helped - it seems to be very negative on club culture when you look at the decade after teams that have done it.

Yet teams still do it. Because the guaranteed draft pick.

Make it a lottery and they will be more likely to play the full season.

Yet teams still do it. Because the guaranteed draft pick.

Make it a lottery and they will be more likely to play the full season.

Only problem is future trading but the afl just do whatever they want anyway. Afl will bend rules to make whatever they want happen. Like GC pp this year, no matter what everyone else says

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Only problem is future trading but the afl just do whatever they want anyway. Afl will bend rules to make whatever they want happen. Like GC pp this year, no matter what everyone else says

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

True. But future picks are already a lottery anyway.

No real reason for this to stop it happening.

Love the NBA and think they do it very well, but I don’t think we need it.

Reckon we’ve more or less killed tanking already, especially since the abolition of the priority pick.

If you introduce the lottery you take a step towards removing equalization and the cyclical nature of the ladder. And I think that’d be a real shame.

Disagree completely.

flexing donovan mitchell GIF by NBA

Don't like the idea, have often thought what would the draft order look like if it was decided after all teams had played each other once. Normally you could then finish off the season with concerning yourselves with tanking.

The issue with a lottery is that it doesn't stop the perception of tanking.

If the teams that miss finals go into the lottery then teams like Carlton and St Kilda, who just missed the 8, would be accused of tanking for a chance at pick 1. Imagine if the Dogs lost their final game and landed a top 2-4 pick in the draft.

If the bottom 6 (teams 13-18) go in the lottery for pick 1 then why would I want to win my last few games and finish 12th?

All the lottery does is move the tanking line from the bottom of the ladder to somewhere slightly higher up.

The true 'balance' is the Draft Wheel but no way the AFL would commit to it for 20 years (assuming Tassie + 1 more team come in) to get a cycle done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i like the idea and concept of a lottery but theres to many ways for it to be cheated and manipulated. The afl has enough power as it is

It’s better than teams tanking/losing like it is now. Make the bottom 4 or 5 a littery

What is the problem with tanking?

If a club wants to go that route, and the coach and players are onboard, I don’t see the issue.

Don’t reward them. They get a top 5-6 pick in a lottery

Don’t see what’s wrong with a lottery
If you’ve deliberately been crap, to bottom out and draft the best talent, and the team that finish 10th, missing out on finals by one game, “wins” the lottery and gets pick 1, that’s not fair to any of the truely bad teams.

If you’ve deliberately been crap, to bottom out and draft the best talent, and the team that finish 10th, missing out on finals by one game, “wins” the lottery and gets pick 1, that’s not fair to any of the truely bad teams.

Bottom 5 littery solves that. You aren’t having teams finishing 9th in the lottery

Bottom 5 littery solves that. You aren’t having teams finishing 9th in the lottery

Teams regularly tank in the NBA for lottery spots.

So instead of just the bottom 2 tanking for the #1 pick, you have the bottom 6 tanking for the 4 lottery positions.

As if a side in 13th isn't going to tank the last few rounds for a % chance at the no.1 pick.

People think it will eliminate tanking, it will only increase it.

Teams regularly tank in the NBA for lottery spots.

So instead of just the bottom 2 tanking for the #1 pick, you have the bottom 6 tanking for the 4 lottery positions.

As if a side in 13th isn't going to tank the last few rounds for a % chance at the no.1 pick.

People think it will eliminate tanking, it will only increase it.

It is still better than the current system and the AFL isn't the NBA where 1 player makes a stack of difference as there are only 5 on the court at any given time. A bottom 5 lottery would be personally how I'd be going.

Back