It it time for a AFL draft lottery?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
Yes I know its an American idea but the results yesterdays NBA lottery resulted in should encourage the AFL to introduce a lottery.
The New Orleans Pelicans who only had a 6% chance of getting the #1 pick ended up with it.
3 teams that blatantly tanked all year ended up with the 3rd (Knicks) 5th (Cavs) and 6th (Suns). Those 3 teams had a 14% chance of getting the #1 pick
The talk in the NBA at the moment is that this years draft lottery has killed tanking.
Is it time to bring it into AFL?

Love the NBA and think they do it very well, but I don’t think we need it.

Reckon we’ve more or less killed tanking already, especially since the abolition of the priority pick.

If you introduce the lottery you take a step towards removing equalization and the cyclical nature of the ladder. And I think that’d be a real shame.

Doesn't feel great to get to round 8, your team is 2-6 and a part of you doesn't even want them to win anymore because in most drafts the real first round is pretty much finished by pick 7.

Love the NBA and think they do it very well, but I don’t think we need it.

Reckon we’ve more or less killed tanking already, especially since the abolition of the priority pick.

If you introduce the lottery you take a step towards removing equalization and the cyclical nature of the ladder. And I think that’d be a real shame.
You've followed Carlton for the past 20 years and you think the draft as it stands really cycles the ladder?

Yes I know its an American idea but the results yesterdays NBA lottery resulted in should encourage the AFL to introduce a lottery.
The New Orleans Pelicans who only had a 6% chance of getting the #1 pick ended up with it.
3 teams that blatantly tanked all year ended up with the 3rd (Knicks) 5th (Cavs) and 6th (Suns). Those 3 teams had a 14% chance of getting the #1 pick
The talk in the NBA at the moment is that this years draft lottery has killed tanking.

Zion changes a team, hence tanking has massive rewards, AFL one player does not make a team.

You've followed Carlton for the past 20 years and you think the draft as it stands really cycles the ladder?

Salary Cap busted a few years.
Thinking we were close busted a few years. Pagan and MM coaching and playing for the now.

Secondly, unlike the NBA, one player cannot completely change the fortunes of a team.

Yesterday's NBA lottery was a joke though.

Small market teams got passed by the LA Lakers who have LeBron James.

Seems a totally fair system.

All you will get is tanking to get into the lottery...I used to be a fan but it’s a waste of time.

If the lottery is say the bottom 6..,You are coming 7th last and out of finals what are you doing the last 3 weeks...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It gives the opportunity for a cycle to occur.

Of course that won't happen if the clubs are incompetent.

no the purpose of a draft is to help bad teams, the NBA's system especially with the new lower odds is dumb

The lottery doesnt deter tanking anyways, teams that get eliminated early because they are just bad will start thinking about next year naturally. It's not like they choose to tank before the season...I'm sure the Knicks rather have had Porzingis healthy and free of rape allegations, the cavs didnt want Love to miss 50 games, the Suns signed veteran players like Ariza and Crawford before the season and tried to get better it just didnt work out. The two teams that sat their best players (LeBron and Davis) are the ones that actually moved up the most

Last edited:
Absolutely hate the idea of a lottery, can you imagine the uproar if a team that finished say 13th and won 9-10 games got the number 1 selection in front of a team that finished with the spoon and only won a 2-3 games, patently unfair.

No - why penalise the teams that are genuinely poor like Carlton and Gold Coast over the last few years?

There's no blatant tanking taking place anymore so what's the point?

No - why penalise the teams that are genuinely poor like Carlton and Gold Coast over the last few years?

There's no blatant tanking taking place anymore so what's the point?
Those teams have been s**t for 10 years.
All the #1 pick does is give their supporters hope.

Just a random thought and may be bloody awful with more than 30 seconds of thought?

IF there was a lottery, your chances of getting drawn out are based on your wins.

I.E if you and 2 other teams get 4 wins for a season regardless if you were 18th, 17th, 16th you all get an equal chance. If you got 11 wins and just missed finals you get a 0.5% chance?

I think if we bring it in should be announced now to start in 2025.
I like it tbh.
Yep, if we bring it in, I doubt it would happen in coming years. Closer to ten years away but within five is possible if they announced it was coming in two or three years in advance. But right now it is time to see how future trading and live draft trading works before making another change within a year or two of that introduction.

Easy for you to propose it when the Tiges are on top. You wouldn't be if you were still a rabble and faced missing out on Cotchin, Deledio & Martin
Come on mate....
We had plenty of years down the bottom.
Cotchin was pick 2, Martin 3, Rance 18, Reiwoldt 13.
Deledio was our only #1 and that was Buddys year...ask the Hawks how they ranked the 2004 draft?

Back