Is it time for future picks to be protected?

Remove this Banner Ad

Should protecting picks go the other way as well then?
Where we can say if they finish in the top 4 we can wait until they finish a bit lower because we didn't expect them to do so well.

In the end I'd prefer it to be a buyer beware deal (just like trading for a player and then them getting suspended for a year).

Everyone is aware of the risks before making the deals

Thats a joke. Hawthorn knew what they were doing and the risks if it went bad. So should all clubs.
Mate, it's only a suggestion and he was only using Hawthorn as an example, no need to get defensive.

The AFL is a joke in terms of free agency and trading. The players have most of the power. I'd love to see clubs be able to trade a player, without the player having any say in the trade.

Why compare to NBA

a season is 82 games, a lot of time to work it out and you will without a doubt know you're s**t eventually, vs 22 games in a 18 team comp, lose your first 5 and you're cooked.

Trade period ends several months into the season, can attempt to rectify problems. AFL, if your list is bad you are stuck till the end of the season.

last one is draft lottery, self explanatory.

No.

One of my big beliefs is that AFL is a war of attrition. It's why I don't like the idea of mid-season trading or drafting, and it's why I don't like this idea.

Clubs should pay for their mistakes.

I understand what eastfreo75 is trying to explain.

For those not familiar with the NBA and trading draft picks with protections on them, I'll try and give a brief run down. I'm a Philadelphia 76'ers fan, and we probably have more knowledge on draft pick protections and how to use them than any other team in the NBA. Well we did, until our GM Sam Hinkie was forced out.

NBA teams trade draft picks for multiple reasons. Some trades are straight up, where a player or player + draft pick is traded to another team for their draft pick, or player + draft pick. There are other scenarios that can be at play, but they are not important in this discussion.

Some trades, one team might want their draft pick "protected" in some fashion. If they are a bad team, the protection might be, if the pick falls between pick 1 and pick 5, a top five pick, then the team keeps their draft pick, and will owe a future draft pick to the other team. But if the draft pick falls between pick 6 and pick 30 (end of first round), then the draft pick is conveyed to the other team.

If they are a good team, the protection might be top 18 protected. The good team finishes 8th, receives the 23rd pick and hands it over to the other team.

Some draft picks can be protected for multiple years. For example, the L.A. Lakers owe Philadelphia a first round pick. For 2015 it is top 5 protected, for 2016 it is top 3 protected, for 2017 it is top 3 protected, for 2018 it is unprotected. This is a real scenario. L.A. have been unusually bad (and have outright tanked this year) and the pick has still not been sent to Philadelphia.

Some times the protection goes like this, 1st year top 5 protected, 2nd year top 8 protected, 3rd year top 14 protected, and if the pick does not convey in year 3, it becomes 2 second round picks, one year 3 and one in year 4.

Smart teams look for ways to manipulate trading picks. In 2015 Philadelphia traded it's second round pick to 4 different teams, using protections. Each trade involved the team potentially receiving the pick to only receive the pick if it fell within 5 certain draft spots. One trade involved the pick be unprotected between pick 31 to 35, the second trade the pick was unprotected between pick 41 to pick 45, the third trade the pick was unprotected between pick 46 to pick 50, and the fourth trade involved the pick being unprotected between pick 51 to pick 55. Philadelphia's second round draft pick ended up being pick 36, so they kept their pick.

Your right. I just didn't want to go through the protecting pick situations. Just my idea is different to the NBA but with the same concept of protecting future picks.

Read this out loud in front of a mirror.
I don't you understand the concept and when people use examples as examples are not as facts.

Under the current rules, no team can protect future picks. Hawthorn don't have their own first or second pick. The Saints have their first round pick and the Suns have their second round pick. Hawks position will affect their draft position by very little.

If the Hawks "could" have protected their picks, tanking would have improved their position in the draft.

Seriously, I am incorrect. But why be so pedantic about it?

By the way, I am not saying that the Hawks first pick should be protected at all. Just going forward, teams should be able to.
Just letting you know for any future posts mate, don't make a big deal about it.

Good luck to Freemantle for the rest of the year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this is a little OT but didnt the team who traded the future get an immediate return?

Why should the club that traded the pick be penalised when the original club has had the benefit of the trade for the full previous season?

The club is already taking the risk of the other club going well and therefore a low dp.

If the Hawks "could" have protected their picks, tanking would have improved their position in the draft.
But why would we possibly want to encourage that? People understand the issue just fine - it is you who is failing to make a convincing argument in support of it.

In any case, the moment you allow protection you lessen the pick's trade value - Hawthorn simply won't get as much in return for pick 6-18 as they would for pick 1-18.

If you take the risk to trade your first pick then you better hope you aren't giving up pick 1. I dont see why we need to put a protection policy in place.

I like it the way it is, keeps it interesting.

One of the main things the OP has missed (besides the NBA being a different beast) is that a lot of the protected picks are involved in cap clearing trades, where the main object of the trade is clear cap space for the next offseason, rather than the two teams trading player assets.

One team wants to clear a ton of space, but can only trade to a team well below the salary cap. More often than not, the team with the salary cap space is not interested in the player/s, but wants the future draft picks, and will waive the players.

Secondly, NBA teams/general managers can be more far sighted and patient, being willing to trade for picks a few years in to the future.

The AFL is incredibly primitive in regards to player trading and free agency rules. And many of it's fans are against any type of change fearing it could disadvantage their club, rather than considering their club could take advantage of such new rules.

There would need to be significant changes in the AFL's trading and free agency rules for pick protections to be a realistic possibility.

If I was part of the Lions list management team, one real option I would have planed out somewhat, is to possibly trade Port Adelaide's first round pick owed to the Lions for a 2018 first round pick (the higher the better of course).

its not the disaster it is in basketball, where one gun player can make you a contender often in a short time.

In the end once the pick is gone it has the same value to the team that gave it away. 0.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back