Review Is It Time For Roo To Go?

Should Roo Go?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ricciuto is obviously a club great and knows football (Walsh and Pyke were both excellent appointments) but he's even less qualified than Burton to oversee a whole football department if he's effectively in that role.

Agreed, I don’t mind them seeking his opinion or trotting him out to help convince people to join our club, but he shouldn’t be king maker.

Interesting post.

Regarding the bonded bit, my understanding or the way I read it, is that this is a symptom of/reaction to the Tippett debacle. Pre this, the board seemed to have strong faith in Trigg and rarely intervened, Chapman was off in Sydney running his bank etc. Trigg pretty much had free reign, trouble is he was never truly qualified for such and our club stalled significantly under his reign. Trigg was lucky though that Craig and Reid basically ran the football dept and required very little oversight and hence Trigg’s inadequacies perhaps weren’t so readily recognised. The club was strong on field and the members kept signing up, so the sponsors kept signing on.

Then the Tippett debacle happened and I think Chapman suddenly realised that things weren’t as rosy as he’d thought. Remember Chapman became acting CEO whilst Trigg was suspended, he then brought Trigg back in to “sort out the mess”, however there was probably no way he wasn’t keeping a close eye on everything.

Since then Trigg’s moved on, but Chapman can no longer take that step back, he’s been too involved previously that he can’t help but stick his nose in everything. I wouldn’t blame him either for having trust issues. He also IIRC, no longer has such an active involvement with Bendigo Bank, so probably has more time to stay involved.

Roo I think is also a symptom of the Tippett affair, I suspect the board want “a man on the inside” so to say, when it comes to list management and contracts. Perhaps where the CEO may have previously chaired the list management group, with Fagans limited football experience, they’re using Roo instead.

Roo was also brought in, with his respected football knowledge and contacts, to sort out the Sando situation and the state of our football dept. He’s made some good appointments IMO too, Walsh, Pyke and I like Reid as list manager, a bit of a bumpy start, but he’s growing into the role well. However again, similar to Chapman, once you’ve got involved, it’s hard to step away again.

Given Roos apparent role at present, he’s almost a pseudo head of football department and has essentially installed, probably subconsciously, Burton in as his puppet. Burton can handle the menial day to day stuff, but he knows he can influence Burton with some of the bigger stuff.

I tend to agree that Roo and Chapman need to step back, given Fagans obviously been tasked with broadening the scope of the football club to include other clubs, we need a strong, experienced and connected head of football who can operate independently, for the most part, of the CEO.

We also need to look at finding ways to loosen the purse strings a little to get quality people into our key off field posts. For mine, these are:
Coach (Pyke - no issues)
*Head of football (Burton - appointed on potential, not on experience/qualifications)
*High Performance Manager (Hass - Burton’s offsides, resume similarly reads BFC, AFC...)
*Senior assistant coach (Campo - long standing, unlikely to be poached, likely cheaper option)
List manager (Reid - probably on cheap, but experienced as player manager and growing into the role well)
Head Recruiter (Ogilvie - high quality, must keep)
Head Physio/Rehab (Kellaway - seems a decent option, has the football experience and worked as Physio at Geelong during their successful era)

If you can get the right people into the right positions at the top, things will tend to run much smoother.

Chapman does not and has not held any positions within the Bendigo Bank.
Its the State Bank he was involved with and then I think it was either Westpac or St George that he moved to for a short time.

Chapman does not and has not held any positions within the Bendigo Bank.
Its the State Bank he was involved with and then I think it was either Westpac or St George that he moved to for a short time.
BankSA was bought by St George which was then bought by Westpac.

Interesting post.

Regarding the bonded bit, my understanding or the way I read it, is that this is a symptom of/reaction to the Tippett debacle. Pre this, the board seemed to have strong faith in Trigg and rarely intervened, Chapman was off in Sydney running his bank etc. Trigg pretty much had free reign, trouble is he was never truly qualified for such and our club stalled significantly under his reign. Trigg was lucky though that Craig and Reid basically ran the football dept and required very little oversight and hence Trigg’s inadequacies perhaps weren’t so readily recognised. The club was strong on field and the members kept signing up, so the sponsors kept signing on.

Then the Tippett debacle happened and I think Chapman suddenly realised that things weren’t as rosy as he’d thought. Remember Chapman became acting CEO whilst Trigg was suspended, he then brought Trigg back in to “sort out the mess”, however there was probably no way he wasn’t keeping a close eye on everything.

Since then Trigg’s moved on, but Chapman can no longer take that step back, he’s been too involved previously that he can’t help but stick his nose in everything. I wouldn’t blame him either for having trust issues. He also IIRC, no longer has such an active involvement with Bendigo Bank, so probably has more time to stay involved.

Roo I think is also a symptom of the Tippett affair, I suspect the board want “a man on the inside” so to say, when it comes to list management and contracts. Perhaps where the CEO may have previously chaired the list management group, with Fagans limited football experience, they’re using Roo instead.

Roo was also brought in, with his respected football knowledge and contacts, to sort out the Sando situation and the state of our football dept. He’s made some good appointments IMO too, Walsh, Pyke and I like Reid as list manager, a bit of a bumpy start, but he’s growing into the role well. However again, similar to Chapman, once you’ve got involved, it’s hard to step away again.

Given Roos apparent role at present, he’s almost a pseudo head of football department and has essentially installed, probably subconsciously, Burton in as his puppet. Burton can handle the menial day to day stuff, but he knows he can influence Burton with some of the bigger stuff.

I tend to agree that Roo and Chapman need to step back, given Fagans obviously been tasked with broadening the scope of the football club to include other clubs, we need a strong, experienced and connected head of football who can operate independently, for the most part, of the CEO.

We also need to look at finding ways to loosen the purse strings a little to get quality people into our key off field posts. For mine, these are:
Coach (Pyke - no issues)
*Head of football (Burton - appointed on potential, not on experience/qualifications)
*High Performance Manager (Hass - Burton’s offsides, resume similarly reads BFC, AFC...)
*Senior assistant coach (Campo - long standing, unlikely to be poached, likely cheaper option)
List manager (Reid - probably on cheap, but experienced as player manager and growing into the role well)
Head Recruiter (Ogilvie - high quality, must keep)
Head Physio/Rehab (Kellaway - seems a decent option, has the football experience and worked as Physio at Geelong during their successful era)

If you can get the right people into the right positions at the top, things will tend to run much smoother.

Trigg was not brought back in to clean up the mess. After the AFL investigation we were to receive the year of first and second picks that we'd already agreed to hand back.

Unfortunately those sanctions were predicated upon Trigg being given his marching orders.

Trigg then used the club engaged legal council to turn on the board and threaten to bring them all down with him.

Our board chose to not sack Trigg and accept the extra year of penalties.

It was and is a pure s**t show.

Trigg was not brought back in to clean up the mess. After the AFL investigation we were to receive the year of first and second picks that we'd already agreed to hand back.

Unfortunately those sanctions were predicated upon Trigg being given his marching orders.

Trigg then used the club engaged legal council to turn on the board and threaten to bring them all down with him.

If true, even more of a s**t show.

Are you serious. Surely this isn't true. If it is then why the hell are we wasting our time supporting this mess of a club.

Are you serious. Surely this isn't true. If it is then why the hell are we wasting our time supporting this mess of a club.

Got it first hand from a Board member. This is what he told me.

Not sacking Trigg cost us an extra year of lost draft picks.

Why didn't we sack Trigg??

You work it out. Trigg was taking all the heat and Board not being included for responsibility claiming they allegedly had no knowledge of the extra agreement.

Trigg was the one person who could disprove that if he chose to squawk Trigg keeps his job, board not implicated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You work it out. Trigg was taking all the heat and Board not being included for responsibility claiming they allegedly had no knowledge of the extra agreement.

Trigg was the one person who could disprove that if he chose to squawk Trigg keeps his job, board not implicated.

That’s disgraceful if true - and it wouldn’t surprise me.

The AFC have shown time and time again that they are more interested in looking after themselves at a management level, than genuinely chasing on field success.

It’s why I have limited hope that any meaningful change will occur at the off season - for the dominos to fall, key people in critical positions need to accept responsibility for their mistakes. I doubt they will, as they don’t want to put their positions at risk.

If it wasn't you that posted this I'd think it was bullshit.

We really need to restructure our board.

It was obvious at the time because there were leaked board minutes that talked about the Tippett clause in his contract

They all knew

It was one of the questions Chapman refused to answer when I emailed him at the time

Sounds like board behaved worse than trigg. Cared more about covering their arse than the club

Back