Discussion Is it time for some more hard decisions?

Remove this Banner Ad

thegoldenbear

Team Captain
Feb 8, 2001
In the cyber woods
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I thought the dropping of Dal and Milney earlier in the year was the dawn of a new beginning at St Kilda - where the dog would finally wag the tail.

If Ross Lyon is serious about this policy, should he drop some "big names" with the view to giving our younger guys a taste of finals footy?

Would you be upset if he was open and honest to the fans at a press conference on Thursday saying: "Look, we were lucky to get 4th and with it a chance to see the top side at their best and get at least 2 finals into our players. While we respect our opposition, we feel that this experience will do wonders for our younger players as they are our future going forward".

I'm not suggesting names to be dropped - just posing the question.

Yeah fair point L2M4G.

I just don't want to see the same standard this week against the pies. Hopefully the nerves are out of the way and we bring a better game than that horrible night at the G a few weeks ago.

Yeah fair point L2M4G.

I just don't want to see the same standard this week against the pies. Hopefully the nerves are out of the way and we bring a better game than that horrible night at the G a few weeks ago.

That's fair enough too. I'm under no illusions that if we don't get the job done this week, then something is seriously wrong.

It's the age old question - To drop or not to drop whilst in finals?
To write off Geelong as an aberration or to have a strong reaction?
I guess we have to think that the Pies will not make too many unforced changes and that they will try to keep the same side from last week going into this week. Thus, changes down at the saints may destabilise the side as opposed to what could be a fairly settled opposition.

No one seems to think there is anything to coaching apart from picking the side, and recruiting / delisting players. What about making the best use of the players we have?

The big problem with the Saints is that they do not play like a team. They are not all on the same wavelength. Unfortunately we have gone the whole season without them really clicking together as a team, and many of the same players were playing better as a team in the past. A bit late in the season to fix this now.

Fair dinkum...Kosi is his own worst enemy. What the hell has happened to this guy? If he's going to crash into packs and try to kill himself or someone else, put him in the backline. Let him be the loose man that can fly into packs or fill the hole. Not doing much else.

It's not weak to have a look.

Nor is it weak to protect the space for someone else - that is guts when you know you'll get the hit but not the ball.

We are missing Luke Ball after a similar incident.

For someone who has played 100 games and seems to love his teammates, I'd expect him to undertake a protector role.

Stewie Leowe was a ball player and a great mark, yet he was an expert at letting a teammate mark the ball in front of him with not a puff of wind on their back. Kosi now has the No. 23.

Not only do we not play like a team but we do not talk about them like a team. I'm a culprit of this as well, but how many times have we heard
"Do it for Harvs"
"Dal needs to be dropped"
"Kosi needs to be traded"
"Why can't Birss get a game"
"We need Riewoldt to play well next week if we're gonna have a chance"

Us St Kilda supporters focus so much on individuals rather as St Kilda as a team. Maybe it's old habits from the days when we only had individuals to celebrate...

Not only do we not play like a team but we do not talk about them like a team. I'm a culprit of this as well, but how many times have we heard
"Do it for Harvs"
"Dal needs to be dropped"
"Kosi needs to be traded"
"Why can't Birss get a game"
"We need Riewoldt to play well next week if we're gonna have a chance"

Us St Kilda supporters focus so much on individuals rather as St Kilda as a team. Maybe it's old habits from the days when we only had individuals to celebrate...

Didnt GT say that? but yes he is on the money

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did he? I haven't really being reading the papers of late, but something me and a mate of mine noticed going through reasons why we haven't been performing and they were all about individuals which was a concern..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back