Think Tank Is it time to ban greyhound racing and horse racing for good?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've had it both in Bologna and Verona (cooked myself, not at a restaurant). I found it harder to find in other places. They have this hourse mince elsewhere, but it is more like pulled pork than mince.

We had a kitchen so just cooked it like steak. Didnt take long to cook. Didn't tell one person what it was (we knew he wouldn't care anyway) and it just tasted like beef. Maybe a but stronger.

Never had it in a restaurant though. I think I said elsewhere but it seems to be marketed like kangaroo is here. Low fat, high protein. As far as I found it is a niche product, like kangaroo.

How was yours prepared? We bought some sort of fillet and it was fine.
I’d say it’s less common in supermarkets here than kangaroo back home. I don’t recall seeing it on menus in restaurants here.

It was thin sliced fillets, broiled (but I think it was meant to be fried).

I’d say it’s less common in supermarkets here than kangaroo back home. I don’t recall seeing it on menus in restaurants here.

It was thin sliced fillets, broiled (but I think it was meant to be fried).

I didn't find it as something that was promoted. You had to look for it. I don't notice kangaroo meat these days in WA.

I have been to Norway a couple of times. They still do a bit of whaling (which I am 100% against). As far as I could tell it is dying a natural death, it doesn't seem the locals are that keen. I have never seen it in the shops and even the fancy seafood restaurants didn't serve it. It seems to be a thing for some tourists.

Well punters tough night tonight few hard luck stories but our best bet at Dapto saluted and drifted out to a tasty $4.50! Well done to anyone who jumped on I know me ole mate Aristotle had his last lobster on it and narrowly avoided sleeping in the doghouse - haha get it, tonight.
Anyway guys we’ve still got decimate in the last in Melbourne to close out a great nights chasing 🤞.

Interesting statistics.
Over 200,000 horses are killed every year for human consumption.
China produced and slaughtered the most of any country, where one could assume, judging by their dog markets, they aren't treated very well.
But the EU is the biggest produced as a whole, and is the biggest consumer.
Think race horses have it pretty good considering.
Racehorses are bred for speed and muscle.
As a result, their skeletal system is under constant stress

One tenth of all Thoroughbreds suffer orthopedic problems, including fractures.[28] Current estimates indicate that there are 1.5 career-ending breakdowns for every 1,000 horses starting a race in the United States, an average of two horses per day.
Thoroughbreds also have other health concerns, including a majority of animals who are prone to bleeding from the lungs (exercise induced pulmonary hemorrhage), 10% with low fertility, and 5% with abnormally small hearts.[28] Thoroughbreds also tend to have smaller hooves relative to their body mass than other breeds, with thin soles and walls and a lack of cartilage mass,[124] which contributes to foot soreness, the most common source of lameness in racehorses.[125]

Selective breedingEdit
One argument for the health issues involving Thoroughbreds suggests that inbreeding is the culprit.[28] It has also been suggested that capability for speed is enhanced in an already swift animal by raising muscle mass, a form of selective breeding that has created animals designed to win horse races.[126] Thus, according to one postulation, the modern Thoroughbred travels faster than its skeletal structure can support.[127] Veterinarian Robert M. Miller states that "We have selectively bred for speeds that the anatomy of the horse cannot always cope with."[128]

Poor breeding may be encouraged by the fact that many horses are sent to the breeding shed following an injury. If the injury is linked to a conformational fault, the fault is likely to be passed to the next generation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if anyone could recognise a nice melt when they see it, it'd be the B2B MOTY winner.
Yes, but then you have plebs that call every comment a melt.

In some estimations I’m really melting down right now. Like Chernobyl style.

Racehorses are bred for speed and muscle.
As a result, their skeletal system is under constant stress

One tenth of all Thoroughbreds suffer orthopedic problems, including fractures.[28] Current estimates indicate that there are 1.5 career-ending breakdowns for every 1,000 horses starting a race in the United States, an average of two horses per day.
Thoroughbreds also have other health concerns, including a majority of animals who are prone to bleeding from the lungs (exercise induced pulmonary hemorrhage), 10% with low fertility, and 5% with abnormally small hearts.[28] Thoroughbreds also tend to have smaller hooves relative to their body mass than other breeds, with thin soles and walls and a lack of cartilage mass,[124] which contributes to foot soreness, the most common source of lameness in racehorses.[125]

Selective breedingEdit
One argument for the health issues involving Thoroughbreds suggests that inbreeding is the culprit.[28] It has also been suggested that capability for speed is enhanced in an already swift animal by raising muscle mass, a form of selective breeding that has created animals designed to win horse races.[126] Thus, according to one postulation, the modern Thoroughbred travels faster than its skeletal structure can support.[127] Veterinarian Robert M. Miller states that "We have selectively bred for speeds that the anatomy of the horse cannot always cope with."[128]

Poor breeding may be encouraged by the fact that many horses are sent to the breeding shed following an injury. If the injury is linked to a conformational fault, the fault is likely to be passed to the next generation.
And none of that happens in the wild right. Every horse is a perfect specimen without ailments, and each breed just came into existence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back