Opinion Is it time to change Pendles’ role?

Where would you like to see Pendles in 2019?

• Midfield - You’re delusional.

Votes: 56 54.4%
  • Forward - Lead-up Forward.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Defender - Loose-man in Defence.

Votes: 29 28.2%
  • Trade him while he has value.

Votes: 9 8.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

While I'm happy to agree with the bolded, disagree that the best use of Pendles is anywhere other than in the midfield and while he's still in the leagues top echelon I'm just not sure why people are so frantic to see him moved. Bullshit kneejterk reaction to 1 less than stella game is the only conclusion I can find.
I agree the best use of Pendlebury is in the midfield. Tha isn't the point though. The best use of everyone collectively might be for him to spend a bit less time there to accommodate others and to use him as a forward weapon more IMO. It's nothing to do with his last game. It's his age and the age and trajectory of DeGoey, Stephenson etc that will dictate what happens with incumbents.

Re Aish I have no reason to think he wants to go home. Adelaide want locals and might pay a good price for a marginal best 22 player for us and one of a large number in our midfield squad. It's something I would like Collingwood to quietly inquire about. Happy to keep him if it doesn't transpire.

Doesn't matter how good his reading of the play or lateral movement is if he's not quick enough to get to the contests he needs to.
agree to disagree on this one. your talking over short distance sprints say 50m the difference of 0.5 seconds.. if he reads the play off the boot 0.6 seconds faster then he beats them to the contest. it's a huge advantage

agree to disagree on this one. your talking over short distance sprints say 50m the difference of 0.5 seconds.. if he reads the play off the boot 0.6 seconds faster then he beats them to the contest. it's a huge advantage

Agree to agree to disagree.

You could potentially make a case for him to take a role as a floating defender if Pendles had any sort of contested marking ability but he averages 0.2 a game across his career and has a grand total of 1 for all of 2018, a career high of 13 in 26 games in 2010. By his own admission, a major weakness in his game given his height, and 1 that he's never been able to improve. I'd imagine it'd be even worse if you could distil just his overhead marking.

So not only do you weaken the midfield by moving him into defense, but you then need to move blokes who do that defensive role better like Howe or Langdon (even Scharenberg when he returns) out to make room for him.

A move of Pendles into defence just about constitutes a perfect depiction of a loss/loss scenario. Don't even get me started on a move to the forward line.

No.

His role in the midfield should change (and had been doing so) to be that outside/outlet guy (not the winger) similar to say a Sam Mitchell. He shouldn't be at the bottom of the pack, but a couple of metres outside it to then make the attacking disposal. Obviously its subtle, and not black-and-white, but we have enough other guys to do the grunt work that Pendles should just be the silk.

Not quick enough to be a winger.
Doesnt have the game to be a forward or defender.

Agree to agree to disagree.

You could potentially make a case for him to take a role as a floating defender if Pendles had any sort of contested marking ability but he averages 0.2 a game across his career and has a grand total of 1 for all of 2018, a career high of 13 in 26 games in 2010. By his own admission, a major weakness in his game given his height, and 1 that he's never been able to improve. I'd imagine it'd be even worse if you could distil just his overhead marking.

So not only do you weaken the midfield by moving him into defense, but you then need to move blokes who do that defensive role better like Howe or Langdon (even Scharenberg when he returns) out to make room for him.

A move of Pendles into defence just about constitutes a perfect depiction of a loss/loss scenario. Don't even get me started on a move to the forward line.
I don't agree to that agreement :p . you make valid points re: his contested marking which I was unaware so I concede. that a move to the backline is probably not the option.

Pendles’ form has been really down the last few weeks - obviously with fair reason (virus / teeth problem) and his usual standards are lofty ...

... not suggesting he needs to be moved or dropped ...

... but if we’re going to progress much further this season, we’d be crossing our fingers that he can pick his form back up.

Congratulations on reaching another Grand Final. Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match, if you haven't seen a previous post this is an overall summary of how often players started as one of your 5 mids at bounces.

THere were 26 bounces

Phillips 25 wing
Greenwood 19 (Martin 21)
Sier 16 (1w)
Adams 15
Pendlebury 15
Treloar 14
Mayne 9 wing
Stephenson 7 wing
Sidebottom 3 wing
Thomas 3 wing
WHE 2 wing
Varcoe 1 wing

1 time you started without a wing

Rucks:
Grundy 23 (Nankervis 25)
Cox 3 (Grigg 1)

By Quarter:

First Quarter - 7 Bounces

Phillips 7 wing
Greenwood 6 (Martin 7)
Adams 6
Sier 5
Mayne 4 wing
Pendlebury 2
Treloar 2
Stephenson 2 wing
Sidebottom 1 wing

2nd Quarter - 6 Bounces

Phillips 6 wing
Mayne 5 wing
Sier 4
Pendlebury 4
Treloar 4
Greenwood 3 (Martin 4)
Adams 3
Stephenson 1 wing

3rd Quarter - 7 Bounces

Phillips 7 wing
Greenwood 6 (Martin 6)
Sier 4
Adams 4
Pendlebury 4
Treloar 3
Stephenson 2 wing
Sidebottom 2 wing
Thomas 1 wing
Varcoe 1 wing

NB> 1 instance of no wing

4th Quarter - 6 Bounces

Phillips 5 wing
Pendlebury 5
Treloar 5
Greenwood 4 (Martin 4)
Sier 3 (2i, 1w)
Adams 2
Stephenson 2 wing
Thomas 2 wing
WHE 2 wing

Centre Clearances for the Game (AFL Stats)

Sier 4
Greenwood 3
Adams 3
Grundy 2
Treloar 1
Pendlebury 1
Sidebottom 1

Notes:
- The second straight game that Sier has had the most centre clearances of everybody in the match (Richmond's best were Cotchin & Nankervis with 3). If he works his arse off over pre-season to improve his tank so he can play more than 2/3rds of a game which also ought to improve his outside game, he'll improve again.
- Greenwood held Martin to 0 centre clearances (he averages 3.3) which is outstanding
- Sidebottom spent the majority of the game starting off the back of the square at bounces, then becoming an extra mid in general play. Such was his influence in that role, that Richmond switched Lambert (who was playing the same role for them) to starting alongside Sidebottom to try and nullify him.

I’m not trying to have a go at Pendles, but this is what I’m talking about.

Pendles was 1/15 at Center clearances.
Sier was 4/15 at Center clearances.

I’m not trying to have a go at Pendles, but this is what I’m talking about.

Pendles was 1/15 at Center clearances.
Sier was 4/15 at Center clearances.
You have to watch the role he plays at those centre bounces. He has sacrificed his own numbers to use his size and experience to block opponents out, allowing the likes of Sier and Adams to get clear.

He still got plenty of clearances around the ground where there are a lot more numbers around the ball, and it's more a free for all.

You have to watch the role he plays at those centre bounces. He has sacrificed his own numbers to use his size and experience to block opponents out, allowing the likes of Sier and Adams to get clear.

He still got plenty of clearances around the ground where there are a lot more numbers around the ball, and it's more a free for all.

I understand. Maybe we should use him more around the ground and less at Center clearances.

I'm coming to believe his role has already changed - no longer is he the slick link player all the time. Much more often now he is blocking and tapping on to the younger brigade - making everyone else's job easier. Yet he is still able to contribute his usual surgical link play at times.

Takes a true champion to sacrifice their game somewhat to lift their team mates up.

SIDE BY SIDE.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly right. Pendles has had 20 tackles in the 3 finals so far to Sier's 5. Contributing a huge amount.

I understand. Maybe we should use him more around the ground and less at Center clearances.

I'm not sure why we as supporters fixate on individual aspects as much as we do. Why should it be about how many clearances player x gets or how many goals player y kicks? Surely if we're getting the W in the W/L column it's largely irrelevant and the greater priority is that we, as a team, get >50% of the clearances, and that we as a team kick the higher number of goals.

As a person who wanted Pendles to be played off half back (a la Burgoyne) I think he's shown me that he's been able to change his game to a far more inside style this season. I agree that he is working hard inside, blocking for Treloar and Sidey and that his tackling pressure has gone up a lot at clearances also. I like how he still has the ability to make a decisive handball or a priceless kick (as he did to Cox in the second quarter) and you know you're going to get leadership and decision making from our captain. I was wrong to question his ability and looking at Jack Crisp's 2018 game Pendles wouldn't give us the same speed, power or kicking penetration off half back either. Win Win.

Sidebottom will be tagged in the GF. Attention will be put into Adams. Pendlebury might just get off the chain.
Norm Smith No 2!

He's playing an enormously selfless role at the moment. He takes the oppo's biggest inside mid at stoppages and at a minimum negates them. He now has the cattle along side, and the trust in them, to let them do the seen work.

Remember also against WCE he had a huge whack to the gob that shook him.

He won't win a 2nd Norm Smith this weekend, but if Adams or Treloar or even a Sier does, you know who they'll thank first...

On a side note...has anyone else noticed how often Sier looks for Pendles? He seems to look to see what Pendles wants to do and then feeds off that. They wax the ball too.
The master and the apprentice.

Before I start, I want to state he’s my favourite player. In the 12 years, I’ve watched football, he’s been absolutely superb.I love him. Champion footballer. Champion off the field. Decent leader.
Deserves a Brownlow or too.

This is probably a very unpopular opinion. He’s all class and still an A-Grader on most days.

Although, I think we need to find him a new role. I don’t think he’s as effective in the midfield anymore. We need to invest time in Sier, De Goey, Adams and Treloar. We might even be able to squeeze more time into Josh Thomas or Rupert Wills.

He attended the most Center bounces for either team this week, and managed only 1 clearance. It also happened the last time we played Sydney. He seems to get caught holding the ball a little bit more often. His numbers have dropped off. His disposal isn’t pinpoint anymore.

This isn’t a knee-jerk reaction, but more of an understanding where Pendles is right now and where the team needs to be. Posters will say he was recovering from his sickness etc, but it’s an easy reason. I think we need to make tough decisions.

Pendles has never been a great overhead mark (especially for someone who’s played basketball). So unfortunately playing him in the forward line is a no. I think he could be a great lead-up forward. I do think he would be useful as the spare defender or running off from the back of the square.

I’m sure he will come out this week and dominate, and I’ll look stupid. But I’m talking about the future. Maybe, I’m marking him very hard, but I don’t want his legacy lost playing in the midfield as he’s no longer the player he once was.

I’m with you Chris. He is still unbelievably good, but every player peaks and then starts to decline at some point.

I believe Pendles may have peaked already. The options are either half back, or tagging slower opposition players.

I’d prefer Pendles (being the ultimate professional he is) to go away in the preseason and work on his overhead mark and set shot goal kicking. By his own admissions these are his weak points of his game and that’s where (forward) I’d love to see him more often in the future. Getting better overhead would improve his prospects as a half backer too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No for mine, he is a general in there and around the ground. If you look just before the bounce he is directing players, has a few words to them.

If he has been down on output, I have no doubt he is playing injured and at least for the past few week has been known, but last week was almost back to the old Pendles.

Back