Opinion Is it time to change Pendles’ role?

Where would you like to see Pendles in 2019?

• Midfield - You’re delusional.

Votes: 56 54.4%
  • Forward - Lead-up Forward.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Defender - Loose-man in Defence.

Votes: 29 28.2%
  • Trade him while he has value.

Votes: 9 8.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I adore Pendlebury and always have form the day he kicked his first goal and then stole that ball out of Paul Williams hands.

But father time has come for him and come for him FAST. Honestly, I know this won't happen but I'd consider trading him to a team like the Gold Coast that needs that guidance and leadership right now.

For a Norm Smith medalist and captain of our club to play like that on Grand Final day is just.....staggering. I actually still can't cope with how poor he was on the day we needed him the most. Particularly given the very average finals series he's had, Saturday was his chance to erase all of that and become a Premiership captain. But there is no way known Pendles will ever be a Premiership captain, that's just obviously not the stuff he's made of.

Which is gutting for me to admit given how much I love him.
sad but true. That moment when he stood back and watched darling mark uncontested was defining.

Guys been terrific for Collingwood.
But might be time to change captain.
He'll be invaluable as a leader in any case.
Think he can still reach high levels but needs less game time as Sier comes on. Just manage his time. He's no spring chicken.

Before I start, I want to state he’s my favourite player. In the 12 years, I’ve watched football, he’s been absolutely superb.I love him. Champion footballer. Champion off the field. Decent leader.
Deserves a Brownlow or too.

This is probably a very unpopular opinion. He’s all class and still an A-Grader on most days.

Although, I think we need to find him a new role. I don’t think he’s as effective in the midfield anymore. We need to invest time in Sier, De Goey, Adams and Treloar. We might even be able to squeeze more time into Josh Thomas or Rupert Wills.

He attended the most Center bounces for either team this week, and managed only 1 clearance. It also happened the last time we played Sydney. He seems to get caught holding the ball a little bit more often. His numbers have dropped off. His disposal isn’t pinpoint anymore.

This isn’t a knee-jerk reaction, but more of an understanding where Pendles is right now and where the team needs to be. Posters will say he was recovering from his sickness etc, but it’s an easy reason. I think we need to make tough decisions.

Pendles has never been a great overhead mark (especially for someone who’s played basketball). So unfortunately playing him in the forward line is a no. I think he could be a great lead-up forward. I do think he would be useful as the spare defender or running off from the back of the square.

I’m sure he will come out this week and dominate, and I’ll look stupid. But I’m talking about the future. Maybe, I’m marking him very hard, but I don’t want his legacy lost playing in the midfield as he’s no longer the player he once was.
I’m with you. Lost his touch the last 6 to 8 weeks. I do t know if he’s carrying something but it gets harder to do that as you get older. He’s been slowing down the last 2years, time is against him and the mids in their prime are going by. He couldn’t hold his body over the ball in the last few games.

It’s a brutal assessment but I just don’t know if he’s got another role in him. He’s not proved to be great overhead and is a touch slow for the backline. Will get found out like Lewis at the dees. Can he float up and down the wing like Mayne most of the year?

I’m gutted because he’s a current club captain and a legend. Buckley can not afford to keep giving him the No.1 role though if he can’t perform in the big games. He has a long deal but I can’t see him retiring early.

For Pendles to stay he really does have to reinvent himself

3 weeks ago, I was delusional. Now my thoughts are being generally accepted.

Am I Nostradamus?

What thoughts are they?

You say he's not great overhead.. yet you'd think he'd be a great lead up forward.. with what assets.. his pace etc?

You say playing him in defence and across half back? God!

Yeah not only has his output dropped but he's consistently making errors that he never used. This has been his worst season that I can remember. I hope he turns it around but the ball handling and decision-making errors really have me irked because that's not something you can attribute to an injury or fitness. Sier is coming at him fast and De Goey should play midfield next season imo.

This is the downside of players that don't have leg speed. When their other strengths naturally decline, their lack of leg speed REALLY shows, even more so if the player in question isn't normally known for being overly hard at the ball.

Pendlebury's 2 major strengths have always been awareness and his disposal/decision making.

Both those strengths this season were showing signs of decline which only further highlighted his lack of speed and hardness at the ball. It's painful to watch as he's been my favourite player since Buckley retired. Someone earlier in the season made the comparison to Gavin Brown, which I found kind of apt back then and even more so now.

The end came for Brown and it came for him really quickly. One season he looked really great even at his age, and then the next season he was basically finished. I fear next year will be the year where Pendlebury's name starts getting added to the Bay 13 "Players who played one year too long" threads.

Can someone explain to me the 6-6-6 rule? It's just the initial compulsory setup not an ongoing sort of thing right?

If so, would like Pendles to start at centre bounces, then move to half back as the spare man.

It's only (at least in terms of the recommendation that has been sent to the Commission for approval, who haven't even done so yet) for centre bounces to begin quarters and after goals. For stoppages, the status quo remains.

I don’t know the reason, but Pendlebury was only played for 74% of the game. In essence our captain set out an entire quarter of the game!
This is miles below his usual averages.
Stats of;
20 possessions, 3 tackles, no scores and tellingly 0 inside fifties point to the GF being his worst overall game in years.
Sadly reciprocated by Sidebottom.
14 possessions, 0 scores and also 0 inside fifties.

It would be many years (if ever) we had a game where BOTH Sidebottom & Pendlebury combined had 0 inside fifties.

We still almost won dammit.

But the captain only out there for 74% of the game.... what’s up with that?

I adore Pendlebury and always have form the day he kicked his first goal and then stole that ball out of Paul Williams hands.

But father time has come for him and come for him FAST. Honestly, I know this won't happen but I'd consider trading him to a team like the Gold Coast that needs that guidance and leadership right now.

For a Norm Smith medalist and captain of our club to play like that on Grand Final day is just.....staggering. I actually still can't cope with how poor he was on the day we needed him the most. Particularly given the very average finals series he's had, Saturday was his chance to erase all of that and become a Premiership captain. But there is no way known Pendles will ever be a Premiership captain, that's just obviously not the stuff he's made of.

Which is gutting for me to admit given how much I love him.
I doubt Gold Coast would want his “leadership” after his final series.

What thoughts are they?

You say he's not great overhead.. yet you'd think he'd be a great lead up forward.. with what assets.. his pace etc?

You say playing him in defence and across half back? God!

My thoughts prior to the grandfinal involved him needing a new role. 75% of posters thought I was delusional. Now it’s closer to 50%.

Will the players vote against him if he still wants it?

If he refuses to see what he’s becoming then Buckley needs to tap him on the shoulder and if that doesn’t work kick him up the bum.

My thoughts prior to the grandfinal involved him needing a new role. 75% of posters thought I was delusional. Now it’s closer to 50%.

His role is pretty obvious as an ageing midfielder. Himself or the club will pull the pin when the time is right. Won't be him playing as a defender or a forward.

You can't give 4 options in a poll.. and go.. 55% votes for him as a midfielder and 45% voted to change his role.. doesn't work that way.. it's 55% votes for him as a midfielder.. 25% for him as a defender. Overwhelming vote is for him to continue on as a midfielder. You can't group 3 options in 1 vote for a change. The other 2 options were 10% or so.

He will leave gracefully when the time comes.. and that will be as a midfielder.

His role is pretty obvious as an ageing midfielder. Himself or the club will pull the pin when the time is right. Won't be him playing as a defender or a forward.

You can't give 4 options in a poll.. and go.. 55% votes for him as a midfielder and 45% voted to change his role.. doesn't work that way.. it's 55% votes for him as a midfielder.. 25% for him as a defender. Overwhelming vote is for him to continue on as a midfielder. You can't group 3 options in 1 vote for a change. The other 2 options were 10% or so.

He will leave gracefully when the time comes.. and that will be as a midfielder.

I never grouped votes. I was always/still talking about “Midfielder- You’re delusional” option. Prior to the grand final, 75% of posters voted for that option. Now it’s 55%.

I’m just saying that people’s opinions have changed since the Grand Final, but I always saw it coming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never grouped votes. I was always/still talking about “Midfielder- You’re delusional” option. Prior to the grand final, 75% of posters voted for that option. Now it’s 55%.

I’m just saying that people’s opinions have changed since the Grand Final, but I always saw it coming.

If you say so..

I would be interested to know his playing weight before and after he had his teeth knocked in.

Apparently he hasn't been able to eat any solids - I'm not sure if that has restricted his diet but he looked gaunt to me and about 5kg lighter than his usual weight. That is a problem for a mid that relies on their strength vs. speed.

Fingers crossed he does what Sammy Mitchel did in the twilight of his career.

I don't see Adams as a captain to be honest.. more of a right hand man. He's far too an emotional character.

I still think the right choice is Sidebottom. Perhaps someone more left field. Who knows.

Look at the likes of Pendlebury Maxwell Buckley.. similar type of characters.

I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt, I've never had meningitis but I can imagine it knocks you around a bit. To go from grand final captain to on the trade table is laughable.

if he wants to prologue his career he definitely needs to assume another position from 2020 and beyond. I don't believe that he has the foot speed to play in the F50. so I've said it before no reason that he can't play HBF / wing what he doesn't have in leg speed he makes up for speed of mind and understanding of where to stand to fill in gaps on the defensive end. will he take contested towering marks NO. but that's is not the be all end all.

I doubt Gold Coast would want his “leadership” after his final series.

You might be right, but he still brings experience, training standards etc. to a club that appears to need it badly.

It's only (at least in terms of the recommendation that has been sent to the Commission for approval, who haven't even done so yet) for centre bounces to begin quarters and after goals. For stoppages, the status quo remains.

Part of being the spare in def is setting up for the dump kick out of the center clearance, he'd have to start forward or wing and then move back to do it with 6-6-6. and then he'd have to sprint back to position after every goal.

IMO his next role would be on a wing playing outside using his footskills and also his endurance similar to phillips, after that maybe a High HF role which often is an extra mid anyway.

He played with broken ribs this year and was sick in hospital before the finals started.

He has done enough for this club to deserve the benefit of the doubt.
Cant believe people are suggesting he is finished, he still managed to make the AA squad of 40 this season, i will back him in to have a better season next year, he is still good enough.

It was sad to see him fumble and make poor decisions the last few weeks. He has been the player that would give you the chance to exhale, knowing he’d make the right decision or execute well (except from a set shot).

It has become a heart in mouth prospect now, he isn’t stopping time like he used to, his disposal efficiency dipped and he had more clangers this year than in any other.

I’ve been critical of his leadership often, because I don’t see him as someone who lifts those around him. That’s not intended as a slight on him, he’s a supremely gifted footballer but so much so that others don’t look at what he does and think they must try harder in order to emulate it. Because they can’t. He’s one of a kind.

He is in complete contrast to Maxy, who made others give more of themselves because they saw a guy with average ability but an otherworldly determination to get every bit of talent out of himself.

Maybe that’s just my personal preference, but I don’t think the best player in the team is always the best leader. I’m sure Pendles exemplifies everything that a professional athlete should be, but I think we need a leader who can set the bar for effort, aggression, physicality and determination. That man is Taylor Adams.

Back