Opinion Is it time to change Pendles’ role?

Where would you like to see Pendles in 2019?

• Midfield - You’re delusional.

Votes: 56 54.4%
  • Forward - Lead-up Forward.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Defender - Loose-man in Defence.

Votes: 29 28.2%
  • Trade him while he has value.

Votes: 9 8.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I never grouped votes. I was always/still talking about “Midfielder- You’re delusional” option. Prior to the grand final, 75% of posters voted for that option. Now it’s 55%.

I’m just saying that people’s opinions have changed since the Grand Final, but I always saw it coming.

You are still delusional/ premature. His season was extremely solid. A midfielder who makes the all Australian squad in 2018 is a midfielder worth having in 2019. Your post gf posts big-upping your judgement are in poor form imo. Pull your head in.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You are still delusional/ premature. His season was extremely solid. A midfielder who makes the all Australian squad in 2018 is a midfielder worth having in 2019. Your post gf posts big-upping your judgement are in poor form imo. Pull your head in.

So when I predict something correctly I’m not allowed to mention it, but if I say something “improper” I should be ready to be jumped on?

Bigfooty.

You must be blind if you think pendles has not dropped off over the past few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure I implied what you have inferred. The initial suggestion was that Pendlebury should have his role altered to something like a half back. My response to that was that he is still out no.1/2 midfielder. Yes he is on the decline but he is still superb.

So when I predict something correctly I’m not allowed to mention it, but if I say something “improper” I should be ready to be jumped on?

Bigfooty.

Yes, his finals series wasnt up to his usual standards but let’s just see how he plays next year eh? In the midfield.

AA squad in 2018 means he still has plenty in the tank

No, midfield is his strength, I would love to see him play as a tagging midfielder at times like he did this year against Cripps, Fyfe and Mitchell although he will still get 30 touches most weeks. He's been a workhorse and sets the standards for the young group coming through.

9 people said trade him, assume these are opposition supporters coming on our board and being knobs.

[KNOB]

Look, I *may* have been one of those 9 votes, after having watched him kick the ball out of bounds in the 4th last Saturday and a couple of other moments.

[/KNOB]

Sigh.. I've changed my vote. He IS a great player. He just had a really frustrating finals campaign.

Can confirm Scott training hard in Port Douglas this morning.
Running with some other guy(no idea who) but they were going hard in the hot humid conditions
He’s fantastic.

Under appreciated leader too.

Cuts up opposition 1000 different ways.

Can confirm Scott training hard in Port Douglas this morning.
Running with some other guy(no idea who) but they were going hard in the hot humid conditions
Surprised you could see.:moustache::D

Was just before my 1st beer (8.35am)
Quotquotmy+family+is+italian+french+and+migrated+to+australia+_f530ca0320c20c1741bcf3c8554e3f4b.jpg

I would be interested to know his playing weight before and after he had his teeth knocked in.

Apparently he hasn't been able to eat any solids - I'm not sure if that has restricted his diet but he looked gaunt to me and about 5kg lighter than his usual weight. That is a problem for a mid that relies on their strength vs. speed.

Fingers crossed he does what Sammy Mitchel did in the twilight of his career.
LOL one or two are too busy blowing their own trumpets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott is a pure midfielder, they tried him as loose player across hb and looked average.
The illness he had knocked him around quite a lot, and you don’t recover very quickly from it.
We should wait till the end of next year before making big calls on him.
I agree with Beams back, he should be moved to the wing at times to free him up, and use his excellent vision he has.

The viral meningitis he caught just before the final series and which forced him to hospital and had a massive impact on his level of play should not be underestimated.Sure time is catching up to him but if fit and healthy his is still our best mid,I am not surprised he is running on his holidays he is by far our most diligent player.It will be a sad day when he goes and I hope like hell we get another before he goes.

I don't really understand why we would want to move Pendlebury. He is a fantastic midfielder who wins clearances, who does the defensive stuff and who dictates the play when he has the ball. You throw him back or forward and his pace is exposed and his overhead weaknesses get exploited. The best role for his attributes is being on-ball. By far. Why mess with that if it ain't broken?

I don't really understand why we would want to move Pendlebury. He is a fantastic midfielder who wins clearances, who does the defensive stuff and who dictates the play when he has the ball. You throw him back or forward and his pace is exposed and his overhead weaknesses get exploited. The best role for his attributes is being on-ball. By far. Why mess with that if it ain't broken?
He's lost a bit of the matrix stuff, but he's still a bloody good player. I expect a couple more AA squad seasons from Pendlebury. The only role adjustment that I predict is a few more run with roles.

He's lost a bit of the matrix stuff, but he's still a bloody good player. I expect a couple more AA squad seasons from Pendlebury. The only role adjustment that I predict is a few more run with roles.

Yeah I agree about the run withs. He did that a bit this year to some success. His spatial awareness is still better than 99% of players running around at senior level so it isn't so bad. I also think he could play wing alright. He has the motor, he's a clever reader of the play and his footskills are excellent. But given our team with Phillips, Sidebottom, Aish and Mayne all one paced it maybe doesn't fit our balance well. I'd like to see one wing with a pacier type.

This sums it up. Once he can no longer do it in the midfield, it will be time for the boots to go on the hook.
I don't know if the time is here yet, but it can't be far away. This year may be his last, but since he has never relied on pace, it may not be. Mental weariness would be what takes him if injury doesn't.
Illness may have been the cause of his moderate performance in the final series, but without the medical records we can't know. The report at the time said he went to hospital for assessment, not that he was hospitalized. Did he lose weight? I saw no figures. Perhaps he just had a bad run. He hasn't had many such in his career.
To sum up, the midfield is the only area of the ground where he is an exceptional contributor. He can play as a forward or defender, but he is not special in these roles. He would seem to me to have another year to give, and maybe more, but we must accept that the clock will wind down from now on.
When the day comes that he feels that it is just too hard, then he will need to say so and retire. It is that understanding that, try as you might, you can't put the same commitment in any more that closes out the careers of most champions.

This sums it up. Once he can no longer do it in the midfield, it will be time for the boots to go on the hook.
I don't know if the time is here yet, but it can't be far away. This year may be his last, but since he has never relied on pace, it may not be. Mental weariness would be what takes him if injury doesn't.
Illness may have been the cause of his moderate performance in the final series, but without the medical records we can't know. The report at the time said he went to hospital for assessment, not that he was hospitalized. Did he lose weight? I saw no figures. Perhaps he just had a bad run. He hasn't had many such in his career.
To sum up, the midfield is the only area of the ground where he is an exceptional contributor. He can play as a forward or defender, but he is not special in these roles. He would seem to me to have another year to give, and maybe more, but we must accept that the clock will wind down from now on.
When the day comes that he feels that it is just too hard, then he will need to say so and retire. It is that understanding that, try as you might, you can't put the same commitment in any more that closes out the careers of most champions.

I reckon Pendles has another 2 years in him at least. I can see him becoming a rotating mid rather than starter over the next few years. He'll still be exceptional. Pendles off the bench. It opens up the question though when should he hand over the captaincy? Perhaps at years end? I'm not entirely sure who his successor should be.

I reckon Pendles has another 2 years in him at least. I can see him becoming a rotating mid rather than starter over the next few years. He'll still be exceptional. Pendles off the bench. It opens up the question though when should he hand over the captaincy? Perhaps at years end? I'm not entirely sure who his successor should be.

Barring injury would take him to number 1 games played for Pies...

At this stage, I'd bet a lot on Adams becoming our next captain.

It wouldnt shock me if he handed over as soon as 2019. The ultimate team man will know when to do the team thing.

Back