Opinion Is it time to change Pendles’ role?

Where would you like to see Pendles in 2019?

• Midfield - You’re delusional.

Votes: 56 54.4%
  • Forward - Lead-up Forward.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Defender - Loose-man in Defence.

Votes: 29 28.2%
  • Trade him while he has value.

Votes: 9 8.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If he has more run with roles that’s the end of greenwood you’d think. But he started his career on the wing and it’s the only other realistic role he can play. That’s where I’d move him. Which means Mayne’s spot would be in trouble.

I voted for him to stay in the midfield but you're not delusional in questioning his role in there.

I would rule out the lead up forward role. By his own admission he is terrible overhead and I don't think that would suit him at all.

I wouldn't be trading him. At 30 years of age and 277 games he is our captain, a one club player and has the opportunity to potentially be Collingwood's games record holder (Currently Tony Shaw on 313) if he plays another 2 full years (highly likely).

I am not averse to playing him as a loose man in defence in that sweeper role but would prefer we utilised the younger, quicker half backs like Crisp, Maynard, IQ who can dash through the guts and also switch to a defensive job if needed.

With the addition of Beams I can see Pendles playing a more selfless, negating midfield role; whilst Beams/Adams/Treloar hunt it. Not tagging as such but standing alongside the oppositions best clearance player at stoppages and blocking their run and maintaining body contact etc. He did this a few times this year to great affect. He is also good enough to still get his hands on the ball in this role and give us first use from time to time.

With the addition of Beams I can see Pendles playing a more selfless, negating midfield role; whilst Beams/Adams/Treloar hunt it. Not tagging as such but standing alongside the oppositions best clearance player at stoppages and blocking their run and maintaining body contact etc. He did this a few times this year to great affect. He is also good enough to still get his hands on the ball in this role and give us first use from time to time.

I've seen a few people mention this and I have to say I'm quite liking the idea.

Personally I've thought that we should use him in that Sam Mitchell role - being the guy who stays just out of the contest and then sets up the play going forward, but the idea of Pendles in that kind of negating role definitely has merit, and may really complement the rest of our midfield.

Any news on if he’s handing over the captaincy ala Roughead?
No Jordan Roughead is not becoming Collingwood captain.

He’s a good bloke though.

Back