Opinion Is it time to change the Essendon logo?

spiraldiver

All Australian
Feb 18, 2006
Fitzroy North
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
(Hypothetical question, of course.)

No, it's not going to win us any premierships, and some may say it's merely window-dressing, but I feel it's time the club considered a new logo. Why? Well, the club is no longer a dominant team in terms of membership, and its last four seasons on the field would hardly have inspired a new generation of supporters to get on board. With the rest of the field catching up I feel it's imperative that the club has the initiative to reinvent itself to appeal to more potential members, particularly coming off the end of the Sheedy/Hird era. I'd also like to see the logo appear on the club guernsey - why it doesn't has always been a mystery to me.

On a personal note, I've never liked the current logo. It looks rather amatuerish in my opinion. If anyone has any alternative designs I'd love to see them.

un_eggs

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Well, considering where we drafted from this year, and our venerable leader's name, I would be inclined to favour 'The Knights' as a logo... either that or the 'Terrorists'.

spiraldiver

All Australian
Feb 18, 2006
Fitzroy North
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Okay, just to clear things up here, I didn't mean changing the name 'Bombers'. I meant changing the design of the logo/crest/badge - whatever you want to call it. I've never liked this design:

spiraldiver

All Australian
Feb 18, 2006
Fitzroy North
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
There goes your credibility.
Read the post again. Our membership hasn't declined but the rest of the field is catching up. With no guarantee of finals football in the next two or three seasons the club has to find other ways of attracting new members. Too many people assume Essendon has a natural right to be a giant of the competition and it's this attitude that could see us drift back to the dark ages of the pre-Sheedy era. Complacency is death in this business.

Ben the Gooner

Stand by Hird
Mar 25, 2007
Bottom of the pack
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Read the post again. Our membership hasn't declined but the rest of the field is catching up. With no guarantee of finals football in the next two or three seasons the club has to find other ways of attracting new members. Too many people assume Essendon has a natural right to be a giant of the competition and it's this attitude that could see us drift back to the dark ages of the pre-Sheedy era. Complacency is death in this business.
Record membership despite the Sheedy sacking begs to differ.

Valve Bounce

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
OK!! I'll bite: what sort of Bomber would you suggest we change the logo to?

reincarnated

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2008
Epping
AFL Club
Essendon
OK!! I'll bite: what sort of Bomber would you suggest we change the logo to?
Have you noticed, ever since the logo was changed, we've being going downwards. That's because the Bomber is shown going downwards in the logo.

That Bomber should be changed so that it's flying upwards...so that it goes with our song and will also resemble our climb up the ladder over next few years. :D

Shane Hird

Cancelled
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NYJ
No.

Crows have an absolute sh*t looking logo but that doesn't seem to effect their massive membership numbers. And it seems they're in no hurry to change their logo just for the sake of it,

Ben the Gooner

Stand by Hird
Mar 25, 2007
Bottom of the pack
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Have you noticed, ever since the logo was changed, we've being going downwards. That's because the Bomber is shown going downwards in the logo.

That Bomber should be changed so that it's flying upwards...so that it goes with our song and will also resemble our climb up the ladder over next few years. :D
I'm fairly sure we won the flag with this logo.

The_Young_Gun

Club Legend
Sep 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Miami Heat
lol.. I just currently found this thread.

What a joke... You don't have much information to back your point, except that you just don't like the Bombers logo.

If we were to use a ratio of Location to Population and compare that stat with all teams membership numbers in the AFL, we would be in top 3 overall for the most ammount of Memberships purchased in density for the AFL.

Clubs like Adelaide and West Coast get way more Members because they obviously just don't have much to contend with, other than their one singled rivals from the same state... Compare that to us and the other 9 clubs we have to contend with, in Victoria, in which we have to try and obtain members from a dense area full of other AFL clubs who are too fighting with us to obtain members for their clubs... We should be happy with the amount of members we have and should also be proud that we're the most secure club financially in the AFL. Excluding the recent stock market crash which effected all clubs really.

Dont be a lemon

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Jun 2, 2006
Party time all the time
AFL Club
Essendon
I like our current logo. It has zoompf!

My only complaint would be that it is seems a bit overly complex at times. But maybe that's the key to a good logo, you notice it's complexity when you look at it in depth.

My main worry is if we got a new one I might not like it!

GG.exe

Killer on the Road ™
Sep 6, 2005
In every girl's wet dream ℠
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Richmond, St.George
For instance, this one, just quickly, has potential. You change the orange to red, make the bomber bigger, tweak a few things, and you have a pretty cool logo. If they ever did change it, imo, they should go OLD-SCHOOL bomber, like WW2, rather than a modern one.

GG.exe

Killer on the Road ™
Sep 6, 2005
In every girl's wet dream ℠
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Richmond, St.George
If you got rid of the cheesy face on a plane, made it more sleek and sharp-edged, framed it inside a badge outline, added some touches and the name Essendon, there could be potential in this idea of having the red sash on a black plane...

Remove this Banner Ad