Opinion Is it time to change the Essendon logo?

GUMBLETRON

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
Okay in light of today's events the club looks to be in need of a fresh direction. New staff, new players it seems and I think a new logo.

There are two elements to 'too busy'. One is that it has a lot of stuff going on. So might Barcelona's, but in that case each section is both simple and thematically consistent with the others. The second is that there is no dominant feature or theme, where the FCB emblem is tied together by the golden frame.

In this one, there are a bunch of small details, some of which work (the monogram), some of which don't (the flags), but nothing tying them together. The excessive complexity though is really demonstrated in the 'sash' - that isn't a sash, it's stripes.

Monogram, plane/wings, single sash, all layered together on the shield. That'd be plenty.

Yep. Looks like they don't know who they are.

(I don't know who they are either)
Only one of the biggest sporting clubs in the world, with an emblem that reflects a history far beyond their own. :cool:

Coldacre

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
logo's are utterly irrelevant.

on-field and off-field performance are such a priority in 2016, I can't believe the logo is even being discussed.

Marley10

Cancelled
Dec 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Okay in light of today's events the club looks to be in need of a fresh direction. New staff, new players it seems and I think a new logo.

That's nice. I like it.

If something must be removed, then the flags can be disposed of. Maybe include the Est. 1871 either at the bottom with the writing or on the logo somewhere.

Other than that, it's pretty nice

Matt loves Essendon

All Australian
Jul 9, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Vic Bushrangers, Melbourne Stars
As it turns out, I had some time to kill in an airport today. Something like so?

I love our current one but given the past week, I won't be too annoyed if we change it. I'm happy to keep it the way it is, but if they change it then it's just gotta be this or something very similar. I love an old style look that really respects our 143 year history.

aCunningPlan

Premiership Player
Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
Okay I've dropped the flags and made my design a touch simpler upon taking on board feedback. I still wanted to include the monogram while trying to avoid a Carlton look-a-like. And I quite like the empty space in the bottom corner actually, something feels right about it. Traditional, yet unmistakably Essendon.

upload_2016-1-17_22-23-22.png

Attachments

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Okay I've dropped the flags and made my design a touch simpler upon taking on board feedback. I still wanted to include the monogram while trying to avoid a Carlton look-a-like. And I quite like the empty space in the bottom corner actually, something feels right about it. Traditional, yet unmistakably Essendon.

What does it look like with a sash (rather than stripes)... like both a proper one (not straight), and also the straight sash thing we have atm?

I like the negative space.

LeeARM

Premiership Player
May 11, 2008
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon

I'd take away the inner circle and move the monogram to the bottom right corner. Or maybe have the monogram above the plane. The shield is to unbalanced as is.

EDIT: It would probably look better if you had it split into 4 squares. So clockwise from top-left could go sashes, plane, sashes, monogram.

flamingEMBERS

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

I'd put the "bomber" in the top left and move the monogram circle to the bottom right. Then finally have the sash going the whole way across as is on the jumper. I think bringing the jumper into it like that would look really good.

GUMBLETRON

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
You could also leave the monogram in the centre, directly on the sash, like the Father-Son Academy guernsey (though inverse, obvs).

Marley10

Cancelled
Dec 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

That's better.

Final touches for me would be making the stripes go all the way, or having one solid sash like our jumper and removing all of the silver except the plane. With the circle around the monogram and the border of the shield, red would look better.

Liberator

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

The plane is a civilian jet though: much more likely to get bombed than do the bombing!

Remove this Banner Ad