General Bombers Talk More talk of changing the logo. Post your thoughts here.

What should we do with the logo?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Letter from the President: Brand research project​

President Dave Barham provides an update on the club's brand research project.
By essendonfc.com.au - 1 hr ago

To all our Fans and Members,

The Essendon Football Club has a proud history as one of the oldest clubs in the AFL and we have a strong recognisable brand.

We are conducting a preliminary research project which centres around the Essendon brand and its elements.

The research project is in its early phase. Members and supporters have been and will continue to be canvassed as part of this process, in addition to the engagement of multiple Essendon Football Club stakeholders.

We have a proud history of more than 150 years and a deep connection to our members and supporters. This is and will always be respected and embraced.

There is no immediate action to change the club logo or any elements of the club brand. This is a longer-term project with significant work to be completed.

We proudly recognise that our future legacy begins with our proud history.

We will always be called the Bombers.

- Dave Barham

1e30490ea10e8ec9a038c82ed58ceff3.png

Would love something similar to this level of detail.

Could definitely see that kind of a Bombers typeface (or even if it was swapped for the word Essendon) looking good on hoodies/jackets, hats, scarves, bags, ect;
Fairly sure thats the Brisbane bombers logo just with slightly different colour and name...

images.jpeg

Did someone say copyright infringement?

I think the issue is that the logos for the VFL teams were launched in the 70s and built around their mascots, which inevitably made them cartoonish. I'm happy to have a logo sans the Bomber mascot
I'm not really a mascot fan either, but that basically just leaves the name, cypher or sash as a focal point, and I really don't like the cypher that much. Not the old version anyway, and the new version is only slightly better. It always looks kinda lopsided.

Taking the others for inspiration and guidance:

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 21.30.58.png

- Legible and recognisable at about 50px tall at the top of the AFL websites
- Simple enough for a five year old to remember and draw – no gradients, no shadows, keep it simple.
- Preferably no mascot
- Heritage elements from the club's history (premierships, past players) and/or community/location (airport, windy hill, local and Indigenous communities)
- Acknowledging who we are now... blue collar? Perhaps tied in with the motto, which seems quite 'us' lately, certainly vigorous in execution but not known for being dirty campaigners on the field, but without actually using the motto due to the aforementioned 50px problem.

I like the Sydney logo (at least the concept behind it, maybe not the execution)... swan, opera house, red V, name, and date established. It's definitely a Sydney logo, definitely a swans logo, definitely a bloods logo, and still simple enough to recognise when it's small or for a kid to draw.

Oh, and preferably nothing that looks like word art c. 2001.

Think this nailed the concept back in 2015. IMHO anyway. Play around with the shapes and other elements, but black shield, red sash, heritage monogram and 1872 are all you need. Simple, classy and incorporates the club’s important symbols.
So good. Reminds me a little of Everton's logo.

If anyone wants to pitch ideas and quote this post, I’ll try to mock some up tomorrow.
Could you please re-design the post Bunk quoted with different shields? Perhaps in the shape I quoted below. That would look awesome. Wouldn't mind a little plane somewhere, but I'm not sure where it fits. Maybe a little black plane on the red sash?

View attachment 1151177

Also, next year is our 150th anniversary.
Nice. If we're going to go with a monogram, then I'd prefer a modern design though.

1e30490ea10e8ec9a038c82ed58ceff3.png

Would love something similar to this level of detail.

Could definitely see that kind of a Bombers typeface (or even if it was swapped for the word Essendon) looking good on hoodies/jackets, hats, scarves, bags, ect;
I really dislike this. It looks like an eSport logo made by somebody on Fiverr.
It's also just the Brisbane Bombers logo from the NRL bid.

Something classical, non-cartoonist like Carlton or Melbourne would be good. The Oakland Raiders or New York Yankees have classical designs which have stood the test of time, and people buy the merchandise because the logos are great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will say though that most oppo fans actually like our current logo for some weird reason. From all the rankings and convos I've had, they like it a lot more than we have and consider it good/middle.
Because they're right

Back