General Bombers Talk More talk of changing the logo. Post your thoughts here.

What should we do with the logo?

• Total voters

Letter from the President: Brand research project​

President Dave Barham provides an update on the club's brand research project.
By essendonfc.com.au - 1 hr ago

To all our Fans and Members,

The Essendon Football Club has a proud history as one of the oldest clubs in the AFL and we have a strong recognisable brand.

We are conducting a preliminary research project which centres around the Essendon brand and its elements.

The research project is in its early phase. Members and supporters have been and will continue to be canvassed as part of this process, in addition to the engagement of multiple Essendon Football Club stakeholders.

We have a proud history of more than 150 years and a deep connection to our members and supporters. This is and will always be respected and embraced.

There is no immediate action to change the club logo or any elements of the club brand. This is a longer-term project with significant work to be completed.

We proudly recognise that our future legacy begins with our proud history.

We will always be called the Bombers.

- Dave Barham

plan b

Rookie
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I hate to admit it but I think Collingwood has the best logo. Looks more professional and isn't targeted towards 6 year olds.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
I reckon current our logo rocks, as did the eighties one. Not really a fan of the cartoon ones though...

If it's to be redesigned i reckon the view needs to be from a low angle, looking up towards the front/side and taking in part of the wing... to make it look massive, powerful and menacing.

Logos from the recent past show an angle from above making the bomber look small and reducing it to a symbol, rather than emphasising the characteristics of it. The image at the addy below is a good example.

http://www.defenselink.mil/dodcmsshare/homepagephoto/2007-02/hires_hires_070212-F-6256P-007b.jpg

...in red and black/greyscale if need be. All would be well if everyone shared my vision:D

For what it's worth port's logo's a bit boring, gc's was a bit gutless, wb's isn't anything special and melbourne's has gone missing.

Best logos around are ours, north, hawks, cats, and saints and carlton for their classic traditional styles.

Lions, freo, adelaide, sydney, richmond, collingwood - time for a change.

Enki

All Australian
Aug 9, 2007
Silicon City
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tina Fey
If you put an angry face on a plane it will be one of the worst.
No faces on planes!

Yeah, I do have to agree at this juncture. In fairness to myself I was quite drunk when I posted that "mean" logo on page two or so of this thread (and still managed an entire coherent sentence).

Also I still like the general aesthetic of that picture. Take the hockey puck away and just redraw the front of the plane to look imposing without "mean face". Then stylize it a little to look more like a plane but keep the sleekness and obviously change orange to red, and I still think you have cool/sleek bomber that is angled correctly to be "flying up".

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah, I do have to agree at this juncture. In fairness to myself I was quite drunk when I posted that "mean" logo on page two or so of this thread (and still managed an entire coherent sentence).

Also I still like the general aesthetic of that picture. Take the hockey puck away and just redraw the front of the plane to look imposing without "mean face". Then stylize it a little to look more like a plane but keep the sleekness and obviously change orange to red, and I still think you have cool/sleek bomber that is angled correctly to be "flying up".

Agreed. The Bomber definitely needs to be flying up.

Tambu

Club Legend
Jun 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I like the bomber shoulder patch logo. I redrew it and made a couple of small changes...

Picture2.png

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think it looks more sinister than the existing one.
Very nice photoshop work there tambu.
Only thing I dont like (kinda) is the missing explosion from under the plane.
But that gradient red color you have going there is very nice.
I also think how the frame around "Essendon" was better when it kind of slopes into the middle and the word "Essendon" has a larger E and N.

B-Bomber

Club Legend
May 29, 2007
Morwell
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Braves
I think it looks more sinister than the existing one.
Very nice photoshop work there tambu.
Only thing I dont like (kinda) is the missing explosion from under the plane.
But that gradient red color you have going there is very nice.
I also think how the frame around "Essendon" was better when it kind of slopes into the middle and the word "Essendon" has a larger E and N.

The all black plane makes me think that it's the shadow of the plane thats about to drop a bomb on you haha.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anyways, I edited a previous suggestion just for shits & giggles. (I cut the base because it seemed really empty after I wiped out the hockey puck. I took the face away too, but it looked soulless, so I put it back.)

BombersFlyingUp.jpg

I was thinking... since the word "BOMBERS" exists above the logo, maybe the word "ESSENDON" could be placed underneath along the base line?

Maybe someone could photoshop it in, I dunno. ;)

Good job there.

Here's a suggestion for you...
Put the word BOMBERS under the plane, following the slope, and put the word ESSENDON where you have bombers currently..but move it a little more to the right (almost touching the nose of the plane) just so that it kinda matches the placement of where you'll put Bombers underneath sloping.
Give us a squiz how that looks?

LeeARM

Premiership Player
May 11, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
would be a perfect logo for the kids.

cant see why there cant be different 'bomber' logos for different purposes like that.....booklets, for kids, promotional rivalry matches etc.

well there is sort to a small extent with adult merchanise having the official logo (some of our new shirts are using our old logo) and theres our mascot(skeeta) for the kids clothes.

Sep 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aussies, Bushrangers
I still dont like the idea of a face on a plane (flying shark), but here ya go....

bombers-logo-4.jpg

Looks really good. The "Bombers" text doesnt quite sit right being on the angle though. I actually dont mind a face on the place. Maybe a few touch ups and it could look good as an official and main logo.

Back