General Bombers Talk More talk of changing the logo. Post your thoughts here.

What should we do with the logo?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Letter from the President: Brand research project​

President Dave Barham provides an update on the club's brand research project.
By essendonfc.com.au - 1 hr ago

To all our Fans and Members,

The Essendon Football Club has a proud history as one of the oldest clubs in the AFL and we have a strong recognisable brand.

We are conducting a preliminary research project which centres around the Essendon brand and its elements.

The research project is in its early phase. Members and supporters have been and will continue to be canvassed as part of this process, in addition to the engagement of multiple Essendon Football Club stakeholders.

We have a proud history of more than 150 years and a deep connection to our members and supporters. This is and will always be respected and embraced.

There is no immediate action to change the club logo or any elements of the club brand. This is a longer-term project with significant work to be completed.

We proudly recognise that our future legacy begins with our proud history.

We will always be called the Bombers.

- Dave Barham

As it turns out, I had some time to kill in an airport today. Something like so?

i2NSU.jpg

And a couple of alternatives, the shield alone and a more elaborate version with a nod to the Club's twenty VFA and VFL flags.

9qLUp.jpg
mkKi0.jpg
Oh wow. The first one. This is exactly the type of logo I'd want. Tweet it to our designer!

Sorry not a fan of the old school logos want us to be viewed as a modern club not as an old farts club.
Well considering that Essendon is an old club, maybe that is showing our age?

Fremantle and Melbourne both recently went for the classier look with a modern spin to it. Both these teams have something in common with Essendon. A nickname that won't necessarily make a good cartoon logo, unlike a Hawk, Tiger etc.

Besides, the red sash is more iconic than a 'bomber'. So I think something like this is suitable as an EFC logo, with some graphic enhancements needed to make it look more professional and modern like Melbourne's shield.

OK, had a crack. This is what I was thinking. A few points:

- please excuse my woefully amateur graphic skills. I'm not into this stuff and never have been. It's a Microsoft Paint job!

- fodzilla i've shamelessly ripped off your text Sorry man, if a problem I'll delete it. Let me know.

- the red sash is and always should be the centre of attention. It's the single enduring symbol of the club

- the idea of this is different features can be broken up and used as required

- I think '1871' is important, we're a bloody old football club, approaching 150 years. I moved it the bottom as a bit of a signature feature

- the top left panel is deliberately blank as I've changed my mind re the bomber... i think it'd be cool to include something. No cartoons ffs, but a simple silhouette of a WW2 RAAF Bomber. Essendon Airport was used as a base in WW2 which I think was the genesis of the nickname. That's a cool piece of history and a nod to our traditional suburban home. Sort of got the idea from logos like Manchester United, which includes a ship as a piece of history. I'd like a nice simple silhouette - in red of course! - of a RAAF bomber. Worth including but is well beyond my terrible paint skills.

Happy to see somebody with actual talent run with it from here... include the bomber, fix up and justify the motto and title, etc. If anybody is keen go for your life.

M5Zfh6Qk.jpg

OK, had a crack. This is what I was thinking. A few points:

- please excuse my woefully amateur graphic skills. I'm not into this stuff and never have been. It's a Microsoft Paint job!

- fodzilla i've shamelessly ripped off your text Sorry man, if a problem I'll delete it. Let me know.

- the red sash is and always should be the centre of attention. It's the single enduring symbol of the club

- the idea of this is different features can be broken up and used as required

- I think '1871' is important, we're a bloody old football club, approaching 150 years. I moved it the bottom as a bit of a signature feature

- the top left panel is deliberately blank as I've changed my mind re the bomber... i think it'd be cool to include something. No cartoons ffs, but a simple silhouette of a WW2 RAAF Bomber. Essendon Airport was used as a base in WW2 which I think was the genesis of the nickname. That's a cool piece of history and a nod to our traditional suburban home. Sort of got the idea from logos like Manchester United, which includes a ship as a piece of history. I'd like a nice simple silhouette - in red of course! - of a RAAF bomber. Worth including but is well beyond my terrible paint skills.

Happy to see somebody with actual talent run with it from here... include the bomber, fix up and justify the motto and title, etc. If anybody is keen go for your life.

M5Zfh6Qk.jpg
I like it. It actually sort of looks like a bomb btw...

Sorry not a fan of the old school logos want us to be viewed as a modern club not as an old farts club.

Find me a club who modernized their logo and didn't make it look like utter garbage

Find me a club who modernized their logo and didn't make it look like utter garbage
Honestly, there are three legitimately good logos in the entire league, and entirely un-coincidentally they're the three most "traditional" - Carlton, Collingwood and the alternate Geelong job:

Geelong2008Logo1.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Melbourne have a new logo. So simple yet effective. Their monogram on a shield with Melbourne written on top, dropping all the other complex details.

Back