General Bombers Talk More talk of changing the logo. Post your thoughts here.

What should we do with the logo?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Letter from the President: Brand research project​

President Dave Barham provides an update on the club's brand research project.
By essendonfc.com.au - 1 hr ago

To all our Fans and Members,

The Essendon Football Club has a proud history as one of the oldest clubs in the AFL and we have a strong recognisable brand.

We are conducting a preliminary research project which centres around the Essendon brand and its elements.

The research project is in its early phase. Members and supporters have been and will continue to be canvassed as part of this process, in addition to the engagement of multiple Essendon Football Club stakeholders.

We have a proud history of more than 150 years and a deep connection to our members and supporters. This is and will always be respected and embraced.

There is no immediate action to change the club logo or any elements of the club brand. This is a longer-term project with significant work to be completed.

We proudly recognise that our future legacy begins with our proud history.

We will always be called the Bombers.

- Dave Barham

I liked the 80s style VFL logo. Something like that would make me happy.
I like the 90s cartoon too but not sure about it as an official logo.
I am also a big fan of the EFC monogram (2014 members badge had it) and that would be my pick.

Edit: one of them.

Resized_20210408_163631.jpeg

Please no cartoon logo. I'd rather a serious and professional looking logo like Port's or a simple re-design like Collingwood and Sydney.
the cartoon plane has a kinda campy retro quality like the celtics logo that is infinitely better than trying to make a slick cool sharp edged modern bomber

I would say if we are to use a plane design, then it would require the plane being shown with it's nose closer to the top (as per troybe's design earlier).

Also, if we use an outline or sheild - then it should be so that there is no pointy part on the bottom.

Those are my musts.

I don't think there's a club in the world with a fighter jet logo that looks any good.
I'd lean more into the EFC side of things, with a subtle nod to the plane.

I don't think there's a club in the world with a fighter jet logo that looks any good.
I'd lean more into the EFC side of things, with a subtle nod to the plane.
Winnipeg-Jets-2011-Present-Primary-Logo-480x480.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would like to see something simple and less noisy. Port and Freo have the best logos going imo. They both nailed their rebrand. Even Carlton, gives off that old school Yankees vibe. I find most of the AFL logos too cartoonish.

Also perhaps not use the entire plane image, something like a propeller motif I've always thought would be nice and clean. I have all these ideas in my head but have no shooping abilities!

EDIT I also don't like the current font on out logo. Employing some form of a stencil style font would have an "air force" lean to it.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20210305-085101.png
We've been using a red and black version of our logo for merch recently, no grey, no shading. It looks a lot better. I think we should make the change permanently, maybe with a slight upgrade to the badge and font.

I think we should have 2 logos.
1 with the plane on it, and another more 'understated' type which I think has been sorely lacking.
For an understated logo, we just need either EFC, or a black shield with a red stripe in it.
Wouldn't mind if we brought back the motto 'The Same Olds' too as a connection to our past.

I think we should have 2 logos.
1 with the plane on it, and another more 'understated' type which I think has been sorely lacking.
For an understated logo, we just need either EFC, or a black shield with a red stripe in it.
Wouldn't mind if we brought back the motto 'The Same Olds' too as a connection to our past.
We have that though. We had our old monogram above our numbers before the Liberty sponsorship and we use both of our monograms on our merchandise all the time.

I like this New York Jets one. images.png

Would like to see something simple and less noisy. Port and Freo have the best logos going imo. They both nailed their rebrand. Even Carlton, gives off that old school Yankees vibe. I find most of the AFL logos too cartoonish.

Also perhaps not use the entire plane image, something like a propeller motif I've always thought would be nice and clean. I have all these ideas in my head but have no shooping abilities!

EDIT I also don't like the current font on out logo. Employing some form of a stencil style font would have an "air force" lean to it.
I like that our logo isnt a generic shield with overlapping letters

I like that our logo isnt a generic shield with overlapping letters

Fair enough. I like the look of heraldry, so clean and simple lines and colours are my jam. For me, when Freo rebranded their jumper it looked like something that they've been playing in for years and years, as opposed to some retconned 90's job, same as Ports jumper. Guess I'm a sucker for tradition.

Back