Is it time to give 35 to Nick Daicos for his career!

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d like 35 to just go back into normal circulation, not to Nick himself.

Ironically we retired it because of Presti not because of Daicos. Each wrote their own story in the number and we love them both for it.

You are 100% correct with the reasons that the 35 is issued to the 1st draftee at Collingwood each year….

I have updated the post to correct my error.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Probably unpopular, but I don’t share the angst over numbers, and couldn’t care less who has what number.

Nick Daicos also hasn’t done anything yet. The kid should not be treated any differently to our other draftees this year. The hype around him is ridiculous. We could be creating a monster. :(

Give him a number, whatever is available, and can we please drop these silly traditions over numbers? That includes Millane’s 42. They are just numbers on a jumper FFS.

110% agree the hype over this kid is totally of the charts.

SILENCE. Change the Norm and the Copeland to his name. Give him all the numbers.

5rdya4.jpg

SO IT IS WRITTEN, SO IT SHALL BE.

We once gave the famous number 42 to our 1st selected draftee in honour of Darren Millane and then we moved this to the number 35 in honour of Simon Prestigiacomo’s selflessness in withdrawing from the 2010 Grand Final side due to injury but is it time to give this number to Nick Daicos for life and no longer have this “one year” concept.

I think that it’s time.

6f3a29fdcdf8111e900fea834803384a.jpg

When did we give 42 to anyone after millane ?

The Number 42 was issued to Billy Morrison when he was our 1st Draft Selection in 2004 (at Pick 10) and the plan was to issue it to our 1st Draft Pick each year after that, like we currently do with No. 35.

This was not in line with what the Millane Family wanted for Darren’s number so it was decided it would instead be retired all together.

So.....NOONE after Pants has worn the number 42 for Collingwood. Morrison wore 31 when he played in the two's.
You must have some relationship to Billy to know they "issued it" to him ;)

When did we give 42 to anyone after millane ?

It was given to Billy Morrison when he was 1st drafted and then withdrawn when the Millane Family didn’t like the idea of giving it to the 1st drafted each year.

So.....NOONE after Pants has worn the number 42 for Collingwood. Morrison wore 31 when he played in the two's.
You must have some relationship to Billy to know they "issued it" to him ;)

No relationship to B Morrison, just remember when it was decided as per the link below and the issue it caused for the club at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was given to Billy Morrison when he was 1st drafted and then withdrawn when the Millane Family didn’t like the idea of giving it to the 1st drafted each year.
He never recovered from the trauma and it eventually ended his career.

A few years ago Eddie was at Club42 and Milane’s mum and brother were there. Eddie asked them if they would be ok with it going back into circulation.
The steely looks on their faces as they both shook their heads was directly channeling Darren.

I don’t think it will happen on Mrs Milane’s watch.
And that’s not a big deal.
It’s a tribute that means something.

Our tradition about the 35 is manufactured.

FWIW - contrastingly, I’d be good for reviving the tradition of giving No 1 to our Captain

A few years ago Eddie was at Club42 and Milane’s mum and brother were there. Eddie asked them if they would be ok with it going back into circulation.
The steely looks on their faces as they both shook their heads was directly channeling Darren.

FWIW - contrastingly, I’d be good for reviving the tradition of giving No 1 to our Captain

IIRC Ray Shaw was the first captain to refuse number one, and instead stuck with 23.

If he can win the Rising Star and the Norm Smith in the same year he can have it for life.
However,

What if Josh Daicos win the Norm Smith?

What if....

Josh wins the Brownlow and the Copeland and Nick wins the Norm Smith and Coleman??????

Bloody hell it's a riddle stuffed in an enigma rolled up in a conundrum.

Too many options.
can we give them both 17 1/2??

However,

What if Josh Daicos win the Norm Smith?

What if....

Josh wins the Brownlow and the Copeland and Nick wins the Norm Smith and Coleman??????

Bloody hell it's a riddle stuffed in an enigma rolled up in a conundrum.

Too many options.
can we give them both 17 1/2??
I’d like Nick to take 36. One more than his dad, hopefully in premierships.

Some years ago I wrote to the club about reserving the Nbr 1 in respect to Leon Davis' - he wore the 1, he was our first indigenous player to play 200 games and in recognition of our first peoples. My proposal was that the indigenous player on our list who has played the most games gets to wear it - never heard anything back!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back