Is it time to tap Wood on the shoulder?

Remove this Banner Ad

Should never have been given a 2 year deal. I’m a bit concerned about our backline in general given our only real stoppers in Keath and Duryea will be over 30 next year.

I just think Woody needs the conversation that he is unlikely to be selected in the best 23 next season and then leave the decision up to him. If he wants to see out his contract he can then fight for whatever role he can fit into, be that mentor or depth player.

Wood used to be a third man up but has lost all confidence in that area, and is not quick enough to go with a medium tall like Fritsch.

Classic example last night in the third when he had a chance to leave Fritsch to spoil Brown, did neither and got stuck in no-mans land.

Its become quite apparent that we don't have a tall offensive threat in this space, so opposition tall forwards simply have to worry about their own space and gameplan.

You make good points and I don't really disagree with them, but it's a coaching decision. Cordy does what he does as well as he can and you can never fault him for endeavour. But it's up to the coaches to decide what sort of system they want in defence and who is best to execute it.

Perhaps the real discussion should be whether it is time to strip down our defensive system and re-build it from the ground up.

I have an open mind on that.
I've never questioned Cordy's endeavour. He's been terrific for us over several years. But he is limited in what he does and I'm not sure he has got any better. Certainly hasn't made the next step. Only plays on 2nd or 3rd defenders and lets them mark too easily.
That's not to heap blame on him for our defensive woes, but his form as poor when we lost those games, and he got back in through Keath's injury then they dropped Gardiner for him. He needed to vindicate that selection but only gave us the same frustrations.
Perhaps we work on acquiring or developing an intercept defender. Wood did that for a while but it has disappeared from his game.

It’s absolutely insane that Crozier’s form fell so badly he couldn’t be selected for the 2nd half of the year. He’s been one of the clubs most consistent players for the last two years and then falls off a cliff without warning. What a huge player to lose.
Agree. He would be so handy in that backline with his aerial & rebound ability. But he went backwards this season: mistiming his leaps, letting balls get over the back, turning it over, etc. We missed having him do what he can so well.

Wood is a concern, 2 year contract was a loyalty reward.

we need to start playing Richards Crozier et al. next year,

reminds me of 2017, played Bob out of loyalty, Boyd in the 2s when actually Bob was cooked and Boyd would have offerred more.

If he plays on he needs to be told that unless he is in great form he plays VFL

Brisbane set themselves back by playing Birchall for the past 2 seasons, we cant do the same

Wood is a concern, 2 year contract was a loyalty reward.

we need to start playing Richards Crozier et al. next year,

reminds me of 2017, played Bob out of loyalty, Boyd in the 2s when actually Bob was cooked and Boyd would have offerred more.

If he plays on he needs to be told that unless he is in great form he plays VFL

Brisbane set themselves back by playing Birchall for the past 2 seasons, we cant do the same

Starting to agree about Richards. He needs to be blooded in the backline over a full year. We need the speed.

Starting to agree about Richards. He needs to be blooded in the backline over a full year. We need the speed.
Richards might turn into a dashing half back in the manner of Dale (no bad thing) but i doubt he would be the one-on-one beast or the interceptor that we are lacking.
So while he might be a part of our plans I can’t see him being the answer to our shortcomings in defence.

I can see him struggling for a game next year but would be handy on the list, especially for some vfl leadership.

Woody said recently that his hammy injury caused some pretty serious self-reflection on where his career was at, including legitimately questioning if his body was finally cooked. Reality is that being another year older, it’s only going to get worse. I’d say he and the club will land on the same page whereby he sees out the contract in a depth/mentor role. He also talked pretty candidly about the impact this season has had on his family and the sacrifices his partner made to allow him to have a crack at achieving the ultimate. Maybe that’ll be the catalyst for him walking away now, who knows?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We dont have the depth to get rid of him in our backline. Hes got one more year. Woodys a ripping bloke too good around the club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richards might turn into a dashing half back in the manner of Dale (no bad thing) but i doubt he would be the one-on-one beast or the interceptor that we are lacking.
So while he might be a part of our plans I can’t see him being the answer to our shortcomings in defence.

Wasn't saying that. Mentioning him in terms of speed only.

Don’t think he needs to be given a tap but next year should 100% be his last and if he is best 22 next year we probably aren’t in the top echelon of teams. Was given a bath yesterday, was given a bath in the first quarter against Brisbane too. He should be depth next year and a leader at Footscray helping our younger guys coming through

It’s absolutely insane that Crozier’s form fell so badly he couldn’t be selected for the 2nd half of the year. He’s been one of the clubs most consistent players for the last two years and then falls off a cliff without warning. What a huge player to lose.

Bad year all round for Croz.

Early injury set him back a fair way. He never really got into stride.

Can see him getting back to his previous best with a solid, injury free pre-season.

He's a bit Robbie-the-Robot now days. You would think he will be playing mostly in the reserves next year, in which case we should try and get him to retire so we can refresh the team list. If he is playing mainly in the seniors next year, that would not bode well for the overall team performance, in my opinion. Been a star player in his day and used to tear opponents like the one yesterday a new a-hole. Wood was a key component of the 2016 premiership but Father Time is a-calling on his footy career.

I know different teams set up differently but I am wondering if in general we need to go taller ( than either keeping Wood or replacing with Crozier or Khamis.) Melbourne set up with KPFs of Brown, McDonald and Jackson all above 193 cm I think. Their KPDs were May( 193 I think) Lever (195) and Petty(197). Didn’t seem to stop their run out of defence. So my concern that all three of our potential third KPD will be too short against the opponents.

I think the Dogs have just lost King as an assistant coach, I think Easton Wood could retire and become an assistant coach next year

I think the Dogs have just lost King as an assistant coach, I think Easton Wood could retire and become an assistant coach next year

Hard NO as I can say, but NO.

NO more promoting from within, want some fresh ideas/eyes from outside of the 4 walls of Whitten.

His form has been up and down, has played good games but been exposed badly in others. Ideally Crozier would have had that spot in side if his form didn't drop off face of planet, hopefully he gets back next year and Richards improves and Wood is just backup, still worth keeping though as neither of those things are gaurenteed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back