Toast Is it to soon to rename the goal of the year award to the Eddie Betts medal?

Should the goal of the year award be renamed?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
The only thing I will say is, I thought it was a bit odd to name the best player in the GF after someone who was more famous as a coach (to be fair, Norm Smith also played (well) in 3 winning GFs, so, eeeh maybe).

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
One day you will remove your head from your arse far enough to realise that the only idiot around here is you

Geez I hope you’re not older than 18. You obviously can’t rebut what I said so you just resort to insults. Very sad and predictable

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Saw Norm play did you?

Don’t have to mate. He played in the 30s and 40s. If you think anybody from 80 years ago could be any better than an average player today you have no idea. Sports science evolves and players are full time professional athletes. They don’t play against plumbers anymore.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Let's name something after every player who has ever played a game in the past 10-20 years? Seriously, the game is nowhere near as good as it was pre-2010, probably pre- 2000, yet every year the media and fans salivate over players calling them the greatest of all time in everything they do. People talk as if they have never seen a great Goal or Mark before?

Players take marks like Jesaulenkos on a daily basis nowadays. The fact that was voted mark of the century is a disgrace.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
The only thing I will say is, I thought it was a bit odd to name the best player in the GF after someone who was more famous as a coach (to be fair, Norm Smith also played (well) in 3 winning GFs, so, eeeh maybe).

Yeah I thought that too, they should’ve done some sort of coaches award instead.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Hear me out here. I think this whole thing should be reworked. Not goals of the year or marks of the year. Plays of the year.

Rename it the Shai Bolton play of the year - mark category and Shai Bolton play of the year - goal category…..and the Maurice Rioli Junior play of the year - tackle category. 😍

Don’t have to mate. He played in the 30s and 40s. If you think anybody from 80 years ago could be any better than an average player today you have no idea. Sports science evolves and players are full time professional athletes. They don’t play against plumbers anymore.
So if he played today he wouldn't be a professional athlete?

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I'm one who doesn't actually think a medal needs to be tied to a players name for everything.

E.g. I'm actually for it remaining GOAL OF THE YEAR/ MARK OF THE YEAR.

Does every award need to be tied to a player at the first chance we get?

If my Aunty had a dick she’d be my Uncle. We can only judge on what they did when they played not hypotheticals.
And he was a 4 time premiership player. What more could he have won?

Best and fairest? He won 2.

Norm Smith medal, AFLCA, AFLPA etc didn't exist.

Dusty won a brownlow sure but do I really need to explain how many brilliant players didn't win any?

Or if you truly believe that today's players are automatically better no question asked does that make Peter Wright better than Jack Dyer?

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers
Geez I hope you’re not older than 18. You obviously can’t rebut what I said so you just resort to insults. Very sad and predictable
You start off by calling me an idiot for not touching my toes before the alter of Dusty, and end with you saying I’m some sort of kid.
So ok me grown up. I’ll say this with out the well deserved insults- you really have no idea abut the game. Dusty isn’t even the greatest player of his generation.
He is bloody good, and I’m sure you have his picture on your wall, but If we are just talking grandfinals McLeod has it all over him. By a long way. But I’m sure you are too young or one eyed to remember that.
And stand by the call on Norm. Dusty is a long way away from being worthy of an award, let alone one that knocks Smitty off his well deserved position of being a huge part in ten flags, including 2 triples.
But feel free to rebut, kiddo

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
And he was a 4 time premiership player. What more could he have won?

Best and fairest? He won 2.

Norm Smith medal, AFLCA, AFLPA etc didn't exist.

Dusty won a brownlow sure but do I really need to explain how many brilliant players didn't win any?

Or if you truly believe that today's players are automatically better no question asked does that make Peter Wright better than Jack Dyer?

Not automatically, I’d say every team today has at least 5 players that are better than jack dyer ever was. People evolve just like 100m sprint in the Olympics, high schoolers today consistently break the world records from 1950’s back.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
You start off by calling me an idiot for not touching my toes before the alter of Dusty, and end with you saying I’m some sort of kid.
So ok me grown up. I’ll say this with out the well deserved insults- you really have no idea abut the game. Dusty isn’t even the greatest player of his generation.
He is bloody good, and I’m sure you have his picture on your wall, but If we are just talking grandfinals McLeod has it all over him. By a long way. But I’m sure you are too young or one eyed to remember that.
And stand by the call on Norm. Dusty is a long way away from being worthy of an award, let alone one that knocks Smitty off his well deserved position of being a huge part in ten flags, including 2 triples.
But feel free to rebut, kiddo

Dusty has the following records:

Most Norm Smiths

Most Gary Ayers Medals

Biggest % BOG in finals. 8 out of 12 or something crazy. 100% BOG in GF’s. Gary Ablett Snr as a 25% BOG rate in GFs to put it in perspective.

Only 1 of 2 people to average 20+ disposals and 2+ goals in 3 GFs. The other guy is Barry cable a legend in the HOF

Only player EVER to win the following all in one year:

-Premiership

-Norm Smith

-Brownlow (With record Brownlow votes)

-MVP

- Coaches award

- B&F

-All Australian

- Garry Ayers Medal (Best player in a finals series)

You will never see these records broken again in your life and you say he isn’t close to the greatest of this generation. Your actually insane, to put it in perspective Trac only got a Norm and AA, Oliver only got Coaches award, AA & B&F, last year. Ffs man I almost threw up when you said McLeod is miles better. Dusty is also 9th most Brownlow votes of all time equal with Leigh Matthews.

For the record I think GAJ is the best H&A player ever and Dusty is the best finals player ever. They are equal to me, until anybody else breaks their records they are untouchable.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Why would you call it the Eddie Betts medal? Why not the Tony Locket? the Jason Dunstall, the Lance Franklin, the Gary Ablett, etc etc. In what universe Woukd he be in front of those guys and probably plenty more.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Which Richmond player took the mark of the century, then?

Recently, Shai and Riewoldts mark of the year contenders last year.
From other teams Liam Ryan and Howe do it almost every week. Actually just look at every mark of the year since 2000 and big packs marks. Nick Reiwoldt and Jono browns courageous marks are better too.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Why would you call it the Eddie Betts medal? Why not the Tony Locket? the Jason Dunstall, the Lance Franklin, the Gary Ablett, etc etc. In what universe Woukd he be in front of those guys and probably plenty more.

Coleman = Lockett. Easy most goals

GOTY = Betts. Pretty sure he’s won it the most and he’s known to have some of the most freak goals ever.

MOTY = Whoever has won it the most.

Coaches association award should be the person who’s won the most premierships as coach. This one should be easy, it’s not named by anybody yet.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

May 8, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not a fan of any award being named after an individual and that includes the many awards that are currently named after coaches, players or administrators within the AFL. I'm not advocating that the names of current awards get changed though, just don't want to see new awards named after one player, it's too big an honour for one player to be acknowledged in such a manner.

I do like the idea of honouring past winners of awards by having them present the award to the new winner. It's done already in relation to the Brownlow and the Norm Smith.

If Eddie Betts presented the award for G.O.T.Y to the winner this year then that could be an example of how it would work. Someone like Mick McGuane who won G.O.T.Y in 1994 could present it to a future winner also.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm against putting too much emphasis and seriousness around 'goal of the year' and 'MOTY'. They're fun, it's what we all tried to do as kids, teens, adults, pathetic, elderly uncles showing the young ‘uns what we can still do (and usually hurting ourselves in the process), but, really, the 'Best Highlight of the Year' is a pub argument (these days, an internet forum argument). To have it voted on by fans is silly, because fans cannot put aside their biases, to have it voted upon by a self-appointed panel of 'experts' is insulting, and it's not all-encompassing anyway. And it's just one goal, or one mark.

IF we do have MOTY or GOTY we should include all goals from all competitions - VFL, AFLW, Little League, Upper Kambucta West League. With the prevalence of video cameras these days, it's rare for ANY game not to be filmed. Remember some of the classics that used to appear on 'Almost Football Legends' (best part of the show, by the way)?

Wouldn't that be something to have on your resume? ('Yeah, I played a few games in the Eastern suburbs league - not very good - but I did make the 'Goal of the Year' final when a fluked a soccer backheel while lying on the ground in the mud one day').

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Players take marks like Jesaulenkos on a daily basis nowadays. The fact that was voted mark of the century is a disgrace.

The Jezza mark wouldn't even win mark of the week these days. Pretty stock standard grab that would get maybe 1 or 2 replays then the game would move on.

It wasn't even that good for it's time. Heaps of better marks recorded in the SANFL.

Vicbias strikes again

Back