Toast Is it to soon to rename the goal of the year award to the Eddie Betts medal?

Should the goal of the year award be renamed?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Jezza mark wouldn't even win mark of the week these days. Pretty stock standard grab that would get maybe 1 or 2 replays then the game would move on.

It wasn't even that good for it's time. Heaps of better marks recorded in the SANFL.

Vicbias strikes again

It was a great mark, and helped a lot by the occasion. I've always though the huge pack mark he took against Richmond (I think) in a home and away game was better. But you add the fact it was a Grand final, there's footage, a call that has been way overhyped over the decades, plus a great photo of the mark itself, it adds up.

But yes, as a mark, was it any better than Goddard's or Chapman's etc.? Doubtful.

Dusty has the following records:

Most Norm Smiths

Most Gary Ayers Medals

Biggest % BOG in finals. 8 out of 12 or something crazy. 100% BOG in GF’s. Gary Ablett Snr as a 25% BOG rate in GFs to put it in perspective.

Only 1 of 2 people to average 20+ disposals and 2+ goals in 3 GFs. The other guy is Barry cable a legend in the HOF

Only player EVER to win the following all in one year:

-Premiership

-Norm Smith

-Brownlow (With record Brownlow votes)

-MVP

- Coaches award

- B&F

-All Australian

- Garry Ayers Medal (Best player in a finals series)

You will never see these records broken again in your life and you say he isn’t close to the greatest of this generation. Your actually insane, to put it in perspective Trac only got a Norm and AA, Oliver only got Coaches award, AA & B&F, last year. Ffs man I almost threw up when you said McLeod is miles better. Dusty is also 9th most Brownlow votes of all time equal with Leigh Matthews.

For the record I think GAJ is the best H&A player ever and Dusty is the best finals player ever. They are equal to me, until anybody else breaks their records they are untouchable.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Do Richmond supporters actually think Dusty is the greatest of all time? 🤣

I mean he is/was a very good player but nowhere near the level of some of the all time greats. The Norm Smiths are a bit of a furphy too considering Bachar Houli was robbed in 2017. Can't really remember 2019 as it was such a boring game, Dusty clear BOG in the 2020 Auskick rules GF.

Do Richmond supporters actually think Dusty is the greatest of all time? 🤣

I mean he is/was a very good player but nowhere near the level of some of the all time greats. The Norm Smiths are a bit of a furphy too considering Bachar Houli was robbed in 2017. Can't really remember 2019 as it was such a boring game, Dusty clear BOG in the 2020 Auskick rules GF.

If you actually take a step back and think about what you said it’s crazy. If he broke all those records and still is nowhere near the greatest of all time I’m afraid good sir that your standards are too high and are looking at past players with rose tinted glasses on. You will not see these records broken again, not sure what else you want him to do. Footy must seem really boring to you if you don’t rate modern day players as high as the ones from the VFL era, sad really.

If you actually take a step back and think about what you said it’s crazy. If he broke all those records and still is nowhere near the greatest of all time I’m afraid good sir that your standards are too high and are looking at past players with rose tinted glasses on. You will not see these records broken again, not sure what else you want him to do. Footy must seem really boring to you if you don’t rate modern day players as high as the ones from the VFL era, sad really.
Dusty is a great player but not in the same league as Carey, Ablett Snr, Dunstall, Lockett, Judd, Ablett Jnr etc and that's just since I've been watching I'm sure oldies would say guys like Skilton were just as good I'd not better.

He stands out in a very good Richmond side as their main superstar but that doesn't make him the best player to ever play the game.

Moorcroft must have been 9 meters high
Lucky to be 1.3 meters high.

Johnson is bent in half and pished forward at that, Moorecrofts feet never higher then Johnsons hip height. It looks better because no one's under him.

Cappa took a horizontal 1 hander that was better imo.
Tarrants pack mark same season vs Melbourne was higher and harder.

The Jezza mark wouldn't even win mark of the week these days. Pretty stock standard grab that would get maybe 1 or 2 replays then the game would move on.

It wasn't even that good for it's time. Heaps of better marks recorded in the SANFL.

Vicbias strikes again
It‘s because of the commentary that it gets recognised. That can make or break a decent mark or goal and really be the difference to get the extra attention needed for an award.

Serongs goal of the year was made much better by Huddo doing a brilliant call. Opposite to Kelli Underwood ruining Freddricks soccer effort in Rd 1.

Dusty is a great player but not in the same league as Carey, Ablett Snr, Dunstall, Lockett, Judd, Ablett Jnr etc and that's just since I've been watching I'm sure oldies would say guys like Skilton were just as good I'd not better.

He stands out in a very good Richmond side as their main superstar but that doesn't make him the best player to ever play the game.

Dusty is the best in finals I've seen, and I've been watching since the early 90s. As an overall player including H&A I wouldn't have him quite as high, but it's remarkable the number of massive finals games he's single handedly put the team on his shoulders and dominated the game.

Skilton and Judd wow.

The rest of them are forwards so you can’t really compare. I just know he’s done what none of these guys could and that says a lot. He also carried our team to 3 flags, without him we don’t win any, no other player in the history of the game could’ve done what he did for us. I mean we always cop s**t about having the worst dynasty list and that no Dusty= no tigers, so either our list is actually good or dusty is unbelievable for carrying a s**t team to 3 flags essentially by himself. You can’t have it both ways.

You discrediting his awards shows that even you know they are highly valued and try to dismiss them to prove your point. Every player deserves the awards they got, that’s what the history books will say and that’s it really.

For the record GAJ and GAS are the best H&A players imo and Dusty is the best finals player. They are equal with each other to me. I think most people would think Finals is greater than H&A so that’s also a factor.

I just think your argument is a bit rich coming from a dees supporter who thinks Trac is the best thing since sliced bread and won s**t all individual awards last year. (Just Norm and AA)
Trac is the same age as Dusty was in 2017, from the looks of it he won’t have a season like Dusty did this year and will be behind.

Last edited:
Um what? The first norm Smith was in 1979, so he didn’t win any Dusty has the outright record with 3. This award is for BOG in a GF not premierships.

There is no way you are going to argue Norm Smith was a better play than Dusty, unless you are an idiot.

Bigfooty ignorance never fails to astound.... smh....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dusty has the following records:

Most Norm Smiths

Most Gary Ayers Medals

Biggest % BOG in finals. 8 out of 12 or something crazy. 100% BOG in GF’s. Gary Ablett Snr as a 25% BOG rate in GFs to put it in perspective.

Only 1 of 2 people to average 20+ disposals and 2+ goals in 3 GFs. The other guy is Barry cable a legend in the HOF

Only player EVER to win the following all in one year:

-Premiership

-Norm Smith

-Brownlow (With record Brownlow votes)

-MVP

- Coaches award

- B&F

-All Australian

- Garry Ayers Medal (Best player in a finals series)

You will never see these records broken again in your life and you say he isn’t close to the greatest of this generation. Your actually insane, to put it in perspective Trac only got a Norm and AA, Oliver only got Coaches award, AA & B&F, last year. Ffs man I almost threw up when you said McLeod is miles better. Dusty is also 9th most Brownlow votes of all time equal with Leigh Matthews.

For the record I think GAJ is the best H&A player ever and Dusty is the best finals player ever. They are equal to me, until anybody else breaks their records they are untouchable.

I love how you are quoting the Gary Ayres Medal like it's been around for more than six years. Even the AFLCA best player has only been around since 2003. Which means most of those in the conversation for GOAT didn't get a chance to win any of them. *, even the Norm Smith wasn't around for the first 80 years of the comp.

Skilton and Judd wow.

The rest of them are forwards so you can’t really compare. I just know he’s done what none of these guys could and that says a lot. He also carried our team to 3 flags, without him we don’t win any, no other player in the history of the game could’ve done what he did for us. I mean we always cop s**t about having the worst dynasty list and that no Dusty= no tigers, so either our list is actually good or dusty is unbelievable for carrying a s**t team to 3 flags essentially by himself. You can’t have it both ways.

You discrediting his awards shows that even you know they are highly valued and try to dismiss them to prove your point. Every player deserves the awards they got, that’s what the history books will say and that’s it really.

For the record GAJ and GAS are the best H&A players imo and Dusty is the best finals player. They are equal with each other to me. I think most people would think Finals is greater than H&A so that’s also a factor.

I just think your argument is a bit rich coming from a dees supporter who thinks Trac is the best thing since sliced bread and won s**t all individual awards last year. (Just Norm and AA)
Trac is the same age as Dusty was in 2017, from the looks of it he won’t have a season like Dusty did this year and will be behind.
Realise Tigers fans get misty eyed knowing Dusty is coming to the end, but seriously, trying to rate him as the best ever is ridiculous. At this stage, across his career he is the third best player currently playing, sitting behind Franklin and Fyfe. He isn't even in the conversation as best ever.

Back on topic. I propose that we call the Goal of the Year the Peter Daicos Award for the next 10 years. After that it can be called the Father of Nick Daicos Award and the Leigh Matthew Trophy can be renamed the Nick Daicos Trophy.

I love how you are quoting the Gary Ayres Medal like it's been around for more than six years. Even the AFLCA best player has only been around since 2003. Which means most of those in the conversation for GOAT didn't get a chance to win any of them. fu**, even the Norm Smith wasn't around for the first 80 years of the comp.

Norm Smith came in 1979

Gary Ayers 2016

I look at what they represent and take it into account when comparing other players in the past and what they’ve done.

Back on topic. I propose that we call the Goal of the Year the Peter Daicos Award for the next 10 years. After that it can be called the Father of Nick Daicos Award and the Leigh Matthew Trophy can be renamed the Nick Daicos Trophy.

Nope, Betts has won it the most. Should be him. You can have Howe for MOTY.

Skilton and Judd wow.

The fact you laugh about Skilton says it all. Triple Brownlow medallist in a time when it actually meant something and was an absolute superstar for South singlehandedly dragging then over the line multiple times during his career.

The fact you laugh about Skilton says it all. Triple Brownlow medallist in a time when it actually meant something and was an absolute superstar for South singlehandedly dragging then over the line multiple times during his career.

Played in non pressional era against 12 teams. Not to mention how much fitter and stronger players are today. He’d get squashed the guy was 171cm and 76kg, the average high schooler is bigger than that. Dusty is 187cm and 92kg which is the size of mids these days, absolutely no chance.

Played in non pressional era against 12 teams. Not to mention how much fitter and stronger players are today. He’d get squashed the guy was 171cm and 76kg, the average high schooler is bigger than that. Dusty is 187cm and 92kg which is the size of mids these days, absolutely no chance.
Completely irrelevant

Yeah you’re right, I’m sure a player’s build has no effect on how they play against the rest of the comp

Next you’ll be saying a 5ft guy can be the best basketball player
Are you still crying that the players who have awards named after them aren't as good as Dusty because they didn't win the awards named after them?

Back