Is it too early to be talking about Christmas?

Remove this Banner Ad

DThomas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2006
The Third Stone from the Sun
AFL Club
Collingwood
Now don't get me wrong I love Christmas, but one thing that is pissing me off is how early the media are cramming Christmas down our throats. All it does is remind me how much money I am going to be forking out for Christmas presents. I also have a very large family, which doesn't exactly help.

Just on Saturday 'The Polar Express' was on and this Saturday 'Deck The Halls,' 'Christmas With The Kranks' and 'The Santa Clause 3' (which is an abomination to the original:p) are all on. Too early in my opinion.

Two weeks ago I saw Christmas stuff go up in a couple of shopping centres. I understand that they use Christmas as a way of making money, but 6 weeks before Christmas? Come on, that is way too early.

I say don't put Christmas decorations up until at least December 1st. That's how I've always done it.

Since this is a thread about Christmas, what do you think is better. Christmas in summer, or Christmas in winter? Since I've always lived here I've only experienced a summer Christmas, so I'm biased. Big family get together, markers up in the backyard, while having a barbie, you can't get much better than that.:thumbsu: Who here has experienced both, and which one do you think is better?

Oh, and I was wondering what age you "found out" about Christmas.;) I found out when I was 7 because my parents aren't very good at sneaking around at night. But I didn't say anything to them, so they think that I didn't know until I was 11.:p

One more thing, any ideas of unique and cheap Christmas presents? I was thinking of making a couple of posters with this website: http://www.blockposters.com/
I've used it before, it's great.:thumbsu: I made a poster for my dad on Father's Day and he loved it.:)

And, yes, I do realise the irony of me saying that Christmas is talked about too early and then talking about it in detail.:D

As long as "Bad Santa" is shown on Xmas night, I'm happy to put up with all the absolutely terrible re runs of Xmas movies.:thumbsu:

As for the retail outlets, 6 weeks is the timeline most set as their first "Xmas Sales", and the initial setup of their Xmas ranges.

I always find doing comparisons this time of year between prices at stores funny, as so called "sale" prices seem to be higher then what was on offer only weeks ago.:p:eek:

I really also don't understand people who "go nuts" and but everyone they know 3-4 presents.

Buy the kids more then 1 present, and maybe your partner too, but everyone can suffice with one present I say, especially when you only see some of these so called "relatives" once a year.

My favourite thing about an Aussie Xmas is the seafood lunch that seems to be getting more popular every year, I get my biggest seafood feast on Xmas day, makes all the bad relatives and bad presents more then bearable.

Best of luck to all in their Xmas shopping, don't leave it too late, unless you are on of those "crazy" people who enjoys the late xmas rush shopping.:):eek:

****en hate everything to do with christmas apart from the actual day with the family.

6 almost 7 years of working in retail (target) has made me some what bitter about the whole thing, so many shop lifters, so many ********s, countless times being told "YOU RUINED MY CHRISTMAS!", daily hearing of christmas carols, pretending to give a s**t when a mum tells you everything they bought their screaming rude brattish children.

Argh and it seems to start earlier and earlier, i cant wait for my first fake cheque where its my fault we wont accept it:rolleyes:

/rant

****en hate everything to do with christmas apart from the actual day with the family.

6 almost 7 years of working in retail (target) has made me some what bitter about the whole thing, so many shop lifters, so many ********s, countless times being told "YOU RUINED MY CHRISTMAS!", daily hearing of christmas carols, pretending to give a s**t when a mum tells you everything they bought their screaming rude brattish children.

Argh and it seems to start earlier and earlier, i cant wait for my first fake cheque where its my fault we wont accept it:rolleyes:

/rant
You better hope you're not working on Christmas Eve then!:eek:

You better hope you're not working on Christmas Eve then!:eek:
dont remember the last christmas eve or boxing day ive had enough

probably the last year i wasnt working casual so 14/15

:eek: i love chrismas with the kranks :D

another epic classic for christmas is national lampoons christmas vacation!

im pumped just thinking about it.

Every year we go away Christmas day. No presents, just get to wake up somewhere new camping, cook a breakfast and forget what the real world is like.

Last year we stayed at Wilsons Prom. After breakfast we walked up the top of Mt Oberon and looked out over the bright blue sea, with a haze of fog settling over the forest. Little 'un decorated the tent with tinsel as a small concession to Christmas. Went swimming, bike riding. Read. Sat and listened to the AM radio and drank vodka and tonic until the late afternoon. Then walked along the beach and watch the sun set.

The idea of a corporate Christmas can go &^$% itself. I don't need to be told that spending time with yer family is special - we just go and do it.

Hope everyone is considering scaling back Christmas this year. Give yer relatives something small. Give a charity something big. And give the retailers the massive finger (except Opti's store, obviously, don't want to make you redundant!)

EDIT: BTW, spent '99, 00 and '01 in London for Christmas and I can say without a doubt that Christmas and the leadup to it is infinitely more enjoyable there. It makes much more sense. However, the minute it turns the 26th everything turns to crap and becomes miserable again. So for the holiday, I still give Australia the thumbs up.

I enjoy the day of christmas being with the family everyone is happy, drinking and eating together (Easter sunday or more so good friday is the same at my place)

The actual concept of christmas is very commercial and the fact i have to deal with it daily over the season it just grates. Im probably sounding all grinch and i hate christmas, but its not i hate the season i hate what it has become and what it does to people (its almost certainly based in corporate greed and being told daily you ruined christmas enforces the fact).

Ah well i get paid and s**t i even get a present for the parents so i cant complain too much eh. What i will say is just enjoy the day with your family and use the day for whats its meant for a celebration of love

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: YAY for christmas with family :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

The rest is real bad lol I especially hate the re runs on TV its definitely time for dvds or watching all those old home movies ........

:p I do enjoy the carols on 7 n 9 though :p

Now where is my xmas stocking????????

I enjoy the day of christmas being with the family everyone is happy, drinking and eating together (Easter sunday or more so good friday is the same at my place)

The actual concept of christmas is very commercial and the fact i have to deal with it daily over the season it just grates. Im probably sounding all grinch and i hate christmas, but its not i hate the season i hate what it has become and what it does to people (its almost certainly based in corporate greed and being told daily you ruined christmas enforces the fact).

Ah well i get paid and s**t i even get a present for the parents so i cant complain too much eh. What i will say is just enjoy the day with your family and use the day for whats its meant for a celebration of love
Yep, agree with all of that Opti.:thumbsu:

It's kind of cliche, but spending time with the family IS the best part of Christmas. The best part for the younger family members is the presents, of course. But once they get older they'll get over the whole presents side.

This is cliche as well, but giving is better than recieving. I much prefer to give someone something than get something from them. I've always been like this. I just get more enjoyment out of seeing them open their present.

But I have a traditional christmas eve BBQ at my place where a bunch of friends come over and we sit around outside and eat and drink and catch up. Always good times. Then the Christmas day rush. I have to usually drive all over the city on christmas day. It becomes a little frustrating. Then finally in the late arvo I get to a destination that I can put the feet up and relax. From this point on I usually have a couple of weeks off so, as such, I look forward to Christmas and the hols. But i concur, the shopping I can do without!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't do X-Mas anymore as I am 24 and don't really care as much as I was as a Kid.

No X-MAS Presents on the Day but Might get something After X-Mas though.

No Celebration just Another Day for me.

Yeah hate that in November they are Shoving X-MAS down our Throat

Christmas is awesome you cynics!!!

I love it all!!! Getting the tree and decorating it. Decorating the house. Hunting for cool presents to give everyone I love. The build up and excitment leading up to it. Getting to spend time with loved ones some of whom I don't get a chance to see the rest of the year. Watching people open my presents especially some of the younger members of the family. Christmas roast and the banter. The lot!!!!

Spending it in Mauritius this year with my wifes family so that'll be interesting. Their big day is christmas eve where they have loads of friends and family around for a big party. So will be a bit different this year for me.

Oh and the definitive list of christmas movies:

National Lampoon christmas vacation
Home Alone I and II
Bad Santa
Beavis and Butthead christmas special

They are the must watch movies!!!

Love Actually is a good one too.

I love it all!!! Getting the tree and decorating it. Decorating the house. Hunting for cool presents to give everyone I love. The build up and excitment leading up to it. Getting to spend time with loved ones some of whom I don't get a chance to see the rest of the year. Watching people open my presents especially some of the younger members of the family. Christmas roast and the banter. The lot!!!!

Spending it in Mauritius this year with my wifes family so that'll be interesting. Their big day is christmas eve where they have loads of friends and family around for a big party. So will be a bit different this year for me.

Home Alone I and II
Bad Santa

Not a Fan of X-Mas Movies - I probably watch AFL on X-Mas Morning;)

Not a Fan of X-Mas Movies - I probably watch AFL on X-Mas Morning;)

I can so picture that Dave :)

BTW for anyone interested Side by Side is now $34.99 at Borders - might be a good chrissy present for friends or yourself :thumbsu:

I f*cking hate Christmas!!!
funny-pictures-bah-humbug-cat.jpg

I f*cking hate Christmas!!!

That's the Christmas Spirit right there.:thumbsu:

Most are right though, Christmas has become an out of control retail event rather then a day of any real meaning or value.

I prefer to ignore most of the Xmas crap leading up to the day, and instead focus on "normal" activities.

My mum says that "Boxing Day is the best day of the year" because it means the longest time before Christmas comes around again, although I doubt that counts in Sydney when they have that silly yacht race where the whole idea is to get as far away from the City as quickly as you possibly can.:p:)

Home Alone I and II
Bad Santa

Don't forget Die Hard (It's set on Christmas Eve. Come on, that's close enough.:p). "Now I have a machine gun. Ho, ho ho!":D

Classic movie.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back