Skills Is it too late to get into some footy?

So I am 38, I haven't played any sort of footy since I was about 11, I want to either get into some inclusion footy, or master rules, but was wondering would this be far too late to re-start doing some footy? I've been trying to contact a few people about getting into inclusion footy in Tasmania but no one seems to be wanting to reply. So if someone has some contacts to help that would be good too.

Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
At 40, I've restarted this year after not playing for over 25 years. It's not too late

I'd suggest just scouting your local clubs facebook for when and where their training is and head down one night. And do it soon as the season should start soon.

Looks like your local clubs are; Hobart, Kingborough, Lauderdale, Lindisfarne, Sorell.

Glorfindel

Team Captain
Dec 12, 2022
AFL Club
Tasmania
So I am 38, I haven't played any sort of footy since I was about 11, I want to either get into some inclusion footy, or master rules, but was wondering would this be far too late to re-start doing some footy? I've been trying to contact a few people about getting into inclusion footy in Tasmania but no one seems to be wanting to reply. So if someone has some contacts to help that would be good too.

AFL Tas (or the equivalent) would obviously be the starting point.
Depending on what you mean by "inclusion" though, it might be worth contacting specific groups/organisations as they might be able to point you in the right direction.

At 40, I've restarted this year after not playing for over 25 years. It's not too late

I'd suggest just scouting your local clubs facebook for when and where their training is and head down one night. And do it soon as the season should start soon.

Looks like your local clubs are; Hobart, Kingborough, Lauderdale, Lindisfarne, Sorell.

I've heard that Claremont have a masters team now, they're the closest to me I've been thinking of contacting them and seeing what happens.

AFL Tas (or the equivalent) would obviously be the starting point.
Depending on what you mean by "inclusion" though, it might be worth contacting specific groups/organisations as they might be able to point you in the right direction.
Inclusion footy is like all abilities, but we do not have all abilities down here, just inclusion football for those with disabilities and such.

So I wanted to throw in an update, I am doing some footy training starting in May with the inclusion footy team, I've been considering maybe playing some master rules just so I can get into some shape for the inclusion carnival.

So I wanted to throw in an update, I am doing some footy training starting in May with the inclusion footy team, I've been considering maybe playing some master rules just so I can get into some shape for the inclusion carnival.
king!

not just yet. Training starts May 2nd. I am not sure when they're playing games as such.
If you need help with fitness shoot me a message!

What pos are you?

If you need help with fitness shoot me a message!

What pos are you?
Thanks a lot. I will definitely do that, my girlfriend and I are trying to get ourselves into shape. :)

I played mostly as a full forward, one coach tried me as a backman I never liked that idea. Played Centre Half Forward in the juniors.

As a big guy I think playing forward is better for me lol.

Thanks a lot. I will definitely do that, my girlfriend and I are trying to get ourselves into shape. :)

I played mostly as a full forward, one coach tried me as a backman I never liked that idea. Played Centre Half Forward in the juniors.

As a big guy I think playing forward is better for me lol.
First step is to get that aerobic base up, so doing really easy runs where you can talk to one another. Running is really hard lol so not everyone can run at a really easy pace for 20mins, I suggest downloading the couch to 5k app they have a great program for beginners where it’s interval based.

Yesssss forward buddy! I’m a small forward

First step is to get that aerobic base up, so doing really easy runs where you can talk to one another. Running is really hard lol so not everyone can run at a really easy pace for 20mins, I suggest downloading the couch to 5k app they have a great program for beginners where it’s interval based.

Yesssss forward buddy! I’m a small forward
I'll definitely do that, I will suggest it to her. I've been doing some walks, and the exercise bike I want to get out with her and my support worker and kick the footy around too. My girlfriend has had a couple of seizures the last couple of weeks so she's not been well.

I'll check it out thanks. :)

Nice one, how's your footy going?

I wish that Tasmania had an all abilities league though, would be good for people with disabilities to be able to play throughout the year except for just the inclusion carnival.

I'll definitely do that, I will suggest it to her. I've been doing some walks, and the exercise bike I want to get out with her and my support worker and kick the footy around too. My girlfriend has had a couple of seizures the last couple of weeks so she's not been well.

I'll check it out thanks. :)

Nice one, how's your footy going?

I wish that Tasmania had an all abilities league though, would be good for people with disabilities to be able to play throughout the year except for just the inclusion carnival.
Ahhhh s**t, is she okay? Omg the best thing is get ahhh I forgot the name of it but it’s a footy on a rubber band so you can do skills like in the back yard by yourself

Yeah it’s going okay, played 3 games in a row and got dropped this week which is sad but hey tomorrow I’m kicking a bag of 10 in ressies hahahah

Yeah true, you could be the pioneer ya know!!

Ahhhh s**t, is she okay? Omg the best thing is get ahhh I forgot the name of it but it’s a footy on a rubber band so you can do skills like in the back yard by yourself

Yeah it’s going okay, played 3 games in a row and got dropped this week which is sad but hey tomorrow I’m kicking a bag of 10 in ressies hahahah

Yeah true, you could be the pioneer ya know!!
Yeah it freaked me out as it was the first time I had experienced one of those seizures from her, so I was asking her former housemate if she needed to go to hospital but apparently all she needed was rest.

Oh yeah I think it's called the One touch, I am pretty sure I bought one of those I might check my bag of footys in the shed.

Lol I look forward to hearing how you go in the ressies.

I might ask around and see if we can start up a league. Maybe ask a few footy clubs if they want to invest in the idea.

Yeah it freaked me out as it was the first time I had experienced one of those seizures from her, so I was asking her former housemate if she needed to go to hospital but apparently all she needed was rest.

Oh yeah I think it's called the One touch, I am pretty sure I bought one of those I might check my bag of footys in the shed.

Lol I look forward to hearing how you go in the ressies.

I might ask around and see if we can start up a league. Maybe ask a few footy clubs if they want to invest in the idea.
Ahh s**t yeah they are pretty scary.

Hahaha that’s it yeah that thing is the reason why I can kinda use my left foot now hahaha

Hopefully a dub

Yeah that sounds like a great idea! I once refereed an all abilities game in soccer and goddam they are really good

Ahh s**t yeah they are pretty scary.

Hahaha that’s it yeah that thing is the reason why I can kinda use my left foot now hahaha

Hopefully a dub

Yeah that sounds like a great idea! I once refereed an all abilities game in soccer and goddam they are really good
Haha nice. I need to try and learn to use my right I have always been a left footer.

I bought some boots and footys because I was going to coach youth girls, I did the work to get a team together and then the club decided they didnt want me as their coach. So now I am just looking at some other things I want to do in footy. Aside from being a photographer and I've wanted to play some footy.

I've a friend that runs a club in Victoria he said if I was ever over there he'd get me to do their photos, but as far as I know there's nothing in Tasmania aside from the inclusion side.

Haha nice. I need to try and learn to use my right I have always been a left footer.

I bought some boots and footys because I was going to coach youth girls, I did the work to get a team together and then the club decided they didnt want me as their coach. So now I am just looking at some other things I want to do in footy. Aside from being a photographer and I've wanted to play some footy.

I've a friend that runs a club in Victoria he said if I was ever over there he'd get me to do their photos, but as far as I know there's nothing in Tasmania aside from the inclusion side.
That’s cooked that they didn’t want you as their coach.

I also bet there is a lot of people like yourself in the same position who also wanna play footy! So creating a league would be great!

That’s cooked that they didn’t want you as their coach.

I also bet there is a lot of people like yourself in the same position who also wanna play footy! So creating a league would be great!
Some of the girls were shattered that I didn't end up being their coach, as no one put their hand up to want to coach them and there was some nepotism there as well. So when a couple of girls asked if I would give it a go, and I decided to take a chance. One girl I was going to coach who was treated badly ended up going to another club and winning a premiership so I was pretty glad.

I'm going to email AFL Tasmania, and some clubs and see if they would consider doing a thing for all abilities.

Some of the girls were shattered that I didn't end up being their coach, as no one put their hand up to want to coach them and there was some nepotism there as well. So when a couple of girls asked if I would give it a go, and I decided to take a chance. One girl I was going to coach who was treated badly ended up going to another club and winning a premiership so I was pretty glad.

I'm going to email AFL Tasmania, and some clubs and see if they would consider doing a thing for all abilities.
I have to go now but so excited for you

Back