Is it worth joining the MCC waitlist at 23?

Remove this Banner Ad

pensivezero

Rookie
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was pondering whether it was worth me joining the MCC membership at my tender old age of 23. Most of the people I know were put down at birth, so they got in as they left their teenage years.

If it is worth it, my next task is to find two full members to nominate my application!

Cheers!

I was pondering whether it was worth me joining the MCC membership at my tender old age of 23. Most of the people I know were put down at birth, so they got in as they left their teenage years.

If it is worth it, my next task is to find two full members to nominate my application!

Cheers!
Never too old. Just do it.

Cheers!

My grandkids are 8 & 7 and years ahead of you ..... are you wanting to join a cricket club to go to the footy ?

Good luck to you either way.

Cheers!

Are you likely to want to go and sit in the MCC when you're in your 50s or 60s? If so, yes.

If not, no.

Their last intake was people who were nominated December 2004 - August 2006, which is actually a wider intake than I remember seeing it a couple of years back, at one point it was only a 3-6 month block of waitlist people elevated for an entire years wait. Perhaps a lot of people relinquished their memberships over the last 2 years due to financial (or not being alive...) constraints.

I'd expect a wait of 15 - 20 years to be a provisional member, then longer again to be full (which gives you access to Boxing Day and some major AFL games).

Cheers!

I would do it. Even if it takes 20 years, you'll 'only' be in your early to mid 40's and should still have 4 decades to enjoy it.

Only really not worth it if you are 50+ IMO.

I would do it. Even if it takes 20 years, you'll 'only' be in your early to mid 40's and should still have 4 decades to enjoy it.

Only really not worth it if you are 50+ IMO.
Fantastic, that's a good way to think of it.

Now, all I need to do is find two full members. Perhaps if I ask people in line at Gate 2? :tongueout:

I and my 3 kids waited around 20 years before being offered provisional membership around 18 months ago, smack bang in the middle of lockdown. They wanted me to fork out around $2k in fees etc. Asked them if I could put it off for a year as things looked grim at the time. They gave me a few extra weeks to 'make up my mind'. Wasn't going to get railroaded by anyone so ****ed it off knowing I'd waste $3-4k for the the 4 of us before even seeing one game. The MCC like the AFL and its clubs is one giant money grabbing hustle nowadays.

do it. You'll likely get full MCC membership before Gold AFl membership

But if you only care about seeing your club just get a club membership

Cheers!
You'll regret it when you're 50 and talk about how you had the opportunity and didn't bother.
Also, with global warming and the cost of power, the old members should die off more quickly.
You may be a member sooner than you expect.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone who has one, I don't think it is a membership worth having.

If you want to see your team play in a grand final - just by a grand final package if you make it. If you make it every 10 years an MCC membership would have cost you over $8k, the cheapest package is $1500. Given the price difference, you could splash for a $5k package and still be in front.

If it is the boxing day test, you can get excellent Day 1 packages for less than $200 and full test packages for less than $300. Or a general ticket for about $50.

If you just want to go to the footy, get the AFL silver membership at a tick under $650 with no waiting list.

It depends what you want it for - just to hang out and demonstrate your social aspirations and upward economic mobility then go for it!

For sport related experience - then no.

One word answer: yes

There will be provisional membership then restricted which will make it worthwhile even before you become full.

I was lucky, put on waiting list at 3 weeks old in 1980, massive expansion of MCC membership after then, and got restricted at 15 and full at 18.

As someone who has one, I don't think it is a membership worth having.

If you want to see your team play in a grand final - just by a grand final package if you make it. If you make it every 10 years an MCC membership would have cost you over $8k, the cheapest package is $1500. Given the price difference, you could splash for a $5k package and still be in front.

If it is the boxing day test, you can get excellent Day 1 packages for less than $200 and full test packages for less than $300. Or a general ticket for about $50.

If you just want to go to the footy, get the AFL silver membership at a tick under $650 with no waiting list.

It depends what you want it for - just to hang out and demonstrate your social aspirations and upward economic mobility then go for it!

For sport related experience - then no.

Depends, I like going to the GF each year regardless of who’s playing.

Also the free entry to all other finals is nice too.

You'll regret it when your 50 and talk about how you had the opportunity and didn't bother.
Also, with global warming and the cost of power, the old members should die off more quickly.

Old people will die because they don’t have aircon? Surely those who can afford an mcc membership can afford aircon!

Depends, I like going to the GF each year regardless of who’s playing.

Also the free entry to all other finals is nice too.
Then go the AFL Gold membership route - it'll be quicker and you'll be enjoying silver benefits from the get go.

Being linked to AFL rather than the MCC means that if the Grand Final deal is renegotiated, the AFL build a third Melbourne stadium, or the MCC/AFL deal changes you are still well placed.

Then go the AFL Gold membership route - it'll be quicker and you'll be enjoying silver benefits from the get go.

Being linked to AFL rather than the MCC means that if the Grand Final deal is renegotiated, the AFL build a third Melbourne stadium, or the MCC/AFL deal changes you are still well placed.

Yes, though I feel pretty confident re the current mcg agreement, will be 80ish by the time that expires.

I mean they could rotate it more, but I’m imagining that would be to other states rather than another stadium in Vic.

You think another 100,000 seat stadium is going to get built in Victoria?

You'll regret it when your 50 and talk about how you had the opportunity and didn't bother.

Not the most tactful remark.

Also I don't think you fully understand just how long the waiting list actually is.

You think another 100,000 seat stadium is going to get built in Victoria?
No - I think a third 40,000 to 60,000-ish seat stadium may be explored and and AFL membership will give access to all 3 venues during the season rather than the MCC single venue membership.

I and my 3 kids waited around 20 years before being offered provisional membership around 18 months ago, smack bang in the middle of lockdown. They wanted me to fork out around $2k in fees etc. Asked them if I could put it off for a year as things looked grim at the time. They gave me a few extra weeks to 'make up my mind'. Wasn't going to get railroaded by anyone so f’ed it off knowing I'd waste $3-4k for the the 4 of us before even seeing one game. The MCC like the AFL and its clubs is one giant money grabbing hustle nowadays.

Benefits of having a 20 year waitlist, you can give ultimatums knowing there's tens of thousands of people in line that'll jump at the offer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back