Roast Is Jack Billings the worst kick at goal of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Meh ive seen worse
T4QYPeV.gif
Ahhhhhh - so that's where Watters ended up post Saints.

Billings is 100 times better at kicking at goal than Jack Daniels was . Once at Moorabbin Jack got a free kick directly in front about a metre out ....... he kicked into the man on the mark . He was the worse kick I have seen play for us although Stevie Lowe was terrible when he first started but he got better and better as he got older. Shane Grambeau( can’t remember how to spell his last name ) was another terrible kick for us .
In the eighties very few of our players could kick 40 metres and if it was windy they struggled to get it 20 metres lol. Those were the days lmao.

Go Saints

I'd like to know how many of those 420 have kicked over 50 goals though? I would imagine a lot of them are guys that didn't kick a lot.
Not many... Daniher and Rioli around his mark but they had interrupted seasons. His goal kicking accuracy this year is pretty bad
Worst ever kick at goal (50 shots) in the VFL was David Rhodes who played in the 60's for Fitzroy. He kicked 14.36 in his career
Billings has kicked 60.87 in his career

Why a negative thread about one of young guns, are we supporters or anti St Kilda? I’m perplexed.
Jack is one of my favourite players. As I said earlier, he's doing a hell of a lot right, but his goal kicking is atrocious and not getting any better.

I can't remember a player in my time that left me less confident in front of goal in my time following the game.

If a loyal Saints supporter questioning a high draft picks with an enormous amount of talents goal kicking leaves you perplexed, than so be it. I'm not going to pump up his tyres and pretend it isn't an issue.

Billings is 100 times better at kicking at goal than Jack Daniels was . Once at Moorabbin Jack got a free kick directly in front about a metre out ....... he kicked into the man on the mark . He was the worse kick I have seen play for us although Stevie Lowe was terrible when he first started but he got better and better as he got older. Shane Grambeau( can’t remember how to spell his last name ) was another terrible kick for us .
In the eighties very few of our players could kick 40 metres and if it was windy they struggled to get it 20 metres lol. Those were the days lmao.

Go Saints
Another one that has a better conversion rate that Billings unfortunately

It is all mental for him. He practises is goal kicking more than any other player at the club and usually nails tham at training, but once he gets into game he just over thinks it because he puts too much pressure on himself to kick it.

If he nails his first shot on goal for the game, he will kick sweet all day. But if he misses his first, he over thinks it and they could end up anywhere.

Why a negative thread about one of young guns, are we supporters or anti St Kilda? I’m perplexed.
All good guys, lighten up. It's a good chance to try to think of and talk about some players from years gone by who had tough times in front of goal. It's just a light hearted poke at one of our players, nothing wrong with that.
If we take this season so seriously we can't have a joke and a yarn about it, might as well just slit our wrists and end it all.

The guy that comes to my mind is Farren Ray. Statistically it seems he's not as bad, but jeez he missed all the important ones. Every...single...one of them.
His shots were a bit similar to JB in that they just never looked like going through. Missing all the way.

And the worst part is he had this habit of getting loose around 40m out on a modest angle with about 30 seconds to go in the quarter. I was like "IGNORE HIM, DON'T KICK IT TO THAT GUY!!". But of course we did. Behind.

He's going at just a touch over 40%

Having a look at a few stats of players to kick more than 50 goals there are a few worse from a long time ago, including Geoff Ablett who went at 39 and Glen Elliot at 38%.

I can' find anyone since I've been following the game with a worse ratio that Jack so far though

He is a dreadful kick for goal and he is a forward that has a lot of shots and was drafted at 3 so he simply has to be better. If he was quick and applied manic pressure, then fine, he might actually have an excuse to be so inaccurate but he is neither.

Get him away from the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who else remembers a number 12 who used to miss so many clutch / captain goals for us?
A very very good point there VDS66.

I remember No-12 missing many.......no heaps of set shots...…..he did have quite an issue with his goal kicking there for a few seasons....it was a real issue/concern.

Folks.......does this remind you of anyone currently?

Whenever any of our guys have the yips.....eg...Members this year...Billings and Gresh this year and last....I always cast my mind back to this game.

2006.....Etihad on a cold Fri night against the Cats.....a full house.

We were about 4-5 goals down at 3/4 time and looked gone......we were coming home like a train......the place was at fever pitch....Goddard grabbed the ball on the boundary line at half forward flank...a long kick into the goals where Roo and the Geelong fullback wrestled and Roo took the mark.....the roof nearly came off.

Just outside the square...…...he kicked....and missed.

It was an absolute momentum killer.

We lost the game.....

Even tho JB is missing heaps of shots....I'm hopeful sooner or later he'll straighten up.

Shane Grambeau( can’t remember how to spell his last name ) was another terrible kick for us .
BT....there's a name I haven't seen since my early teens......yr spot on...he could take a grab but couldn't kick for nuts.

It is all mental for him. He practises is goal kicking more than any other player at the club and usually nails tham at training, but once he gets into game he just over thinks it because he puts too much pressure on himself to kick it.
Spot on there BrutThough…..I've been to training 3 times this year and every time JB is having shots at goal....he normally nails it.

Just wait when he eventually straightens up.

We have way to many at our club that are poor kicks in general, not alone kicking for goals.
I cannot for the life of me understand why players go back so far from the mark to kick the ball through the goals from only 25 metres or less!
More margin for error I believe. If they were just having a kick to kick from 25 metres apart they would kick off one step and hit the target 90% of the time.
Case in point was Jack Steven Saturday night, no more than 20 metres out and went back 20 metres to jog in and kick a point. It's just plain dumb I reckon.

Fair question.

Bartlett kicked 778.781 for his career, I never saw him play though - I presume a lot of those were snaps?

Schimmelbusch 354.368 - but didn't he mostly play midfield?

Loewey ended his career with 594.410, not actually as bad as I remember. Maybe he was just bad compared to Plugger.

Very few I can find who kicked significant numbers of goal and more points than goals:

Wayne Richardson: 323.364
Michael Tuck: 320.325
Norm Goss: 284.284
Wayne Johnston: 283.318
Greg Wells: 275.333
John Hendrie: 254.273
Warwick Irwin: 244.304
Ross Dunne: 238.251
Peter Crimmins: 231.232
Max Crow: 210.212
Paul Callery: 200.210

I don't know most of those guys. Any common thread there?

Not the worst but give him time ;)
Currently ranked 420th for scoring accuracy in the AFL
Billings field kicking is usually pin point accurate, yet asked him to aim at two sticks 6.4mt apart and he can't do it.
IMO good goal kicking happens when you focus solely on the process of kicking at goal not the result.
Henry Ford probably summed it up best "whether you think you can, or think you can't -you're right
At the moment Billings believes he can't kick goals. He needs confidence but in the current environment it is not likely to happen soon

Spot on. With his field kicking he keeps his head down as he is kicking, but with goalkicking, lifts his head fractionally too quick as he wnts to see the results rather than trust the process. Such a minor thing has such a profound impact. I'd back myself in a putting competition against him too.

If he nails his first shot on goal for the game, he will kick sweet all day. But if he misses his first, he over thinks it and they could end up anywhere.

I don’t think this is true, when I saw the saints kick for goal in the warmup before the giants game, hardly any kicked goals.

Set shot goal kicking is different to field kicking...

I would like to see billings set shot ratio, I don’t think you could rely on him 30 metres out, with a set shot.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's going at just a touch over 40%

Having a look at a few stats of players to kick more than 50 goals there are a few worse from a long time ago, including Geoff Ablett who went at 39 and Glen Elliot at 38%.

I can' find anyone since I've been following the game with a worse ratio that Jack so far though

Lonie?

I don’t think this is true, when I saw the saints kick for goal in the warmup before the giants game, hardly any kicked goals.

Set shot goal kicking is different to field kicking...

I would like to see billings set shot ratio, I don’t think you could rely on him 30 metres out, with a set shot.

At the end of each session Billings practices his set shots from every angle, working his way around the ground and then does it from different distances.
He stays practising while most of the others have already gone inside.
His accuracy issues aren't from lack of trying because he is working his ass off to fix it.

At the end of each session Billings practices his set shots from every angle, working his way around the ground and then does it from different distances.
He stays practising while most of the others have already gone inside.
His accuracy issues aren't from lack of trying because he is working his ass off to fix it.

I've seen this too.

And I've seen him nail shots from 45 out on a tight angle consistently at training. I hope one day a switch flicks for him and he can turn it around

I think he gets demoralized in game when he misses and it effects his whole performance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back