Discussion Is Jack Steele now the best player out of the 2014 Draft?

Is Jack Steele now the best player out of the 2014 Draft?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The top end has come on, but the depth of players isn't there compared to a lot of recent drafts.

Without doing the sums 2012 was really s**t. 2013 looks similar to 2014 etc. There are a lot of players who don't make it in most drafts and it doesn't look that bad in hindsight. A couple of years ago it definitely looked a terrible draft but plenty elevated in the last year.

Petracca the best from the draft. However, Steele provides a bit more balance to our midfield as a two way player. Great defensively & has improved his offence. Has always been decent around goal. Steele compliments Gresh - who plays in a similar fashion to Petracca. I think we would be lesser a team without Steele & with Petracca.

I always get the impression watching Petracca that he is clearly very strong, very dynamic, very confident, good skills (all of which will ensure he becomes a great player) but just lacking in a bit of footy IQ, in terms of where to be and when to go. Anyone else know what I mean?

AA:

Harris Andrews (2x), Caleb Daniel, Darcy Moore, Christian Petracca, Jack Steele

AA Squad only:

Dan Butler, Jordan De Goey, Kane Lambert, Jake Lever, Brayden Maynard

Other awards:

Isaac Heeney (best 1st year player), Reilly O'Brien (B&F), Jayden Short (B&F)

Personally I'd have Petracca ahead of Steele for impact, Andrews ahead of Steele for how replaceable he is, maybe Moore as well. Not sure about De Goey. And I have a soft spot for Daniel because he's five foot nothing.

Harris Andrews. The best key defender in the competition by a fair margin IMO.

After him, you have a group of three who are all excellent players, with very different strengths. Who is the best really depends on what your team needs.

Moore - Quality intercept key defender, has been really consistent in recent years.
Petracca - Still the player with the highest ceiling, the most likely to be the match winner on any given day. Could ultimately end up the best player in the game, particularly if he were at another club.
Steele - Tough as guts, heart and soul type player. More likely to drag his team across the line with a 4 quarter slog or a match-saving tackle than be the bloke who sets the field alight.

If given the option, I wouldn't trade our skipper for any of the other three and that is a hell of a compliment, but ultimately, he is probably not in the top 3 at this stage. If he can break the tags he will be attracting and spend some time up forward for 15+ goals a year, then he may re-enter the conversation.

I always get the impression watching Petracca that he is clearly very strong, very dynamic, very confident, good skills (all of which will ensure he becomes a great player) but just lacking in a bit of footy IQ, in terms of where to be and when to go. Anyone else know what I mean?
Completely, I alway find with Trac that his timing is off. Ie he is either rushed or too slow. I think his problem as well is that he will kick to early, he needs to run like an extra 3 steps before he kicks it.

I’d have petracca degoey and Andrews ahead of him. Degoey not for consistency but he will win you 3 games a year.
As a matter of interest how many do you think Steele won for us last year?

Midfielders like him I find hard to see any game. Like Mitchell from hawks. Great players but tough to look at specific win. Look at degoey tonight. You see it right in front of you.

Are you sure the TV is on? He's hard to miss.

1616725451498.png

I'm sure I heard someone on the commentary say that Jack Steele is on the verge of becoming the record holder for tackles made by a 100 game player. I know he's the only player to feature twice in the top 10 for most tackles in a single game.

Are you sure the TV is on? He's hard to miss.

View attachment 1086265

I'm sure I heard someone on the commentary say that Jack Steele is on the verge of becoming the record holder for tackles made by a 100 game player. I know he's the only player to feature twice in the top 10 for most tackles in a single game.
We all watch games for different reasons. One of mine isn’t tackling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steele is a gun and i love him but seriously that poll is so biased , he is Mr Reliable never give up Lenny type of player but he doesn't have the class of some of the others mentioned , i don't mind that but i just cant have him as the best of that draft year ,

Back