Roast Is Jack Trengove the new Brick Mclean?

Remove this Banner Ad

You stole my thread Idea you bastard

Is anyone else starting to get worried seriously about trenners?
Yeah he got plenty of the pill but he still labours around the field and he has no body strength in the contest anymore, he looks brittle and like it takes alot of effort to bend over and get up again
He would be our slowest midfielder now and he isnt marking the ball at all like his first season either, im really confused as to what the reason is behind it having completed a full preseason

nickgrant69,Today at 6:03 PM

Hes much better overhead than Mclean so he can be damaging as a Bartel type midfielder but im a little concernced with him

Agree with this

Thats what we are doing right?

Growing up in the country and playing mens footy early he used to be very good at absorbing pressure and dishing off a handball but he gets knocked off the ball and falls over quite alot more than he did in his first season like he has lost a little confidence in his body

He also used to be an excellent overhead mark in the Bartel mode but again he looks quite 'weak' under the high ball and doesnt hold his ground as well as he used to as well

maybe he is overthinking it because when we drafted him I remember watching him thinking he was the most natural looking footballer we had drafted since maybe a young Mclean , he did the basics perfectly but he doesnt do them that well atm

Tapscott, Blease, Strauss, Bail, Nicholson, Evans... all of these guys end up at Casey if they don't perform and get criticised quite freely by supporters. Trengove should be no different. Many of these players have had arguably worse injury issues than Trenners throughout their short careers.

Tapscott, Blease, Strauss, Bail, Nicholson, Evans... all of these guys end up at Casey if they don't perform and get criticised quite freely by supporters. Trengove should be no different. Many of these players have had arguably worse injury issues than Trenners throughout their short careers.
None of those guys, with the possible exception of Evans, has been as good as Trengove has been to date - even allowing for Trenners being well below what we expected him to be.

Tapscott, Strauss and Blease? Please - I had high hopes for them, and still believe Blease could be something, but they've played a dozen good games between them in 5 years. Yes they've probably had worse injuries than Trenners, but they also haven't had the weight of expectation and responsibility he has had to deal with. And they've had adequate recovery time now.

Nicho is just a straight up hack. Can run: yay, good for him. Has never shown an aptitude for even reasonable decision making and is a butcher of the worst kind.

Evans is really the only one listed that has ever been unfairly dropped, criticised or just not selected. I don't get why he doesn't get more consistent opportunities. But it is only rnd 1 under Roos, and I think his injury issues from last year restricted his preseason.

People should seriously cool it. Trenners was okay on Saturday. Wasn't great, didn't impose himself when perhaps we would have liked him to given his ability to find the sticks; but FFS, it is round one and he picked up 20-something touches and was there abouts.

Give it a rest.

Is this thread the new "Nathan Jones- Spud Watch"?

I hope so.

I say maybe we should get at least one of our forward targets back, along with Viney and Garland, and then allow our brand-*in'-new midfield more than 4 quarters to gel together. Throw in a good crowd at the MCG and (why not) an upset victory here or there, and then just a little bit of time- say, more than one round- and then if he still sucks we'll trade him for Pick 8.

This is what I like to call "common sense".

It's amazing he even bothers to rock up to training given the s**t we've put him through. Let's not burn him just yet.

Jeepers - are you comparing any of those players to Trengove though?

Ill take Trengove ahead all all those put together lol.

I think that's the crux of it.

People are expecting and hoping he is a superstar which is fair enough considering he was pick 2 and looked so polished for Sturt, U18 and his first AFL year.

But just because he isn't a superstar, doesn't make him a VFL player.

Roo's is trying to make Trengove into Ryan O'Keefe. I can see the similarities so I'm going to give him some time.
If he turns out to be as good as ROK, we'll be okay.

This thread reeks of an 18 month bump.
This is Biff/Nathan Jones worthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get what you guys are saying - I went a bit too strong. I guess the point I was making was that while Trengove has definitely shown much more than Blease, Tappy, etc, he hasn't shown it for a while and can't live forever off being a number 2 pick.

Still miles ahead of many other players on our list, but I guess I just expect so much more. Remember when he was doing this

? :(

Looked really good in the first quarter against the saints, he was everywhere, up forward, in the middle and down back, thought he was our best player at quarter time before slowing down for the rest of the game. If he can play like he did in the first quarter for full games he'll be a very good player. Needs to get some more contested ball wining into his game, at this stage I don't think he is a full time midfielder, should be playing on the Half forward flank rotating through the midfield

Lets hope this ends up the way Biffs 'Nathan Jones Spud' thread ended..
Agree completely. I am happy to have egg all over my face again. But I suspect it ain't gonna happen.

Has anyone put any thought into this? Is it possible that he's just not as fast or as good as you lot remember him? It was 1 season - since then - been average. Could it just be that he had a terrific 1st season, and now he's playing his real game?

But he also had an even better 2nd season, where he finished top 5 in our BnF.

top 5 in our bnf isn't THAT much of a high light. :p

It's not bad for a 20 year old midfielder though!

Trenners has definitely lost something, he was never quick - and he's certainly moving quicker this year then the last two, I think it's more confidence then anything physical.

We'll have to be patient with guys like Watts and Trenners, a couple of good performances aren't turn things around and instantly make them the players they should be - they'll keep improving over the course of the season.

It's not bad for a 20 year old midfielder though!

Trenners has definitely lost something, he was never quick - and he's certainly moving quicker this year then the last two, I think it's more confidence then anything physical.

We'll have to be patient with guys like Watts and Trenners, a couple of good performances aren't turn things around and instantly make them the players they should be - they'll keep improving over the course of the season.

If trenners and Watts can continue winning as much ball as they did then it takes so much pressure off Michie, Tyson and Bernie to an extent , The more Watts Tyson and Vince can have time and space to kick the better we will be as a team

Bernie has amazing vision and beautifully waited kicks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back