Is Jeremey McGovern the best intercept mark the game has ever seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe one of the 2 lines in the OP shouldn't have been "where does he sit amongst the best CHBs" :drunk:
That’s got nothing at all to do with people slinging abuse and trolling. You can discuss intercept marks, CHB’s...anything relevant to the topic and OP.

McGovern is a great mark, but Kennedy is even better.

Sydney should have offered $10 million over 9 years to Kennedy not Bud would have worked out better.

Getting a bit hung up on the terminology here I think...

Intercept as a descriptor is no different to how other classifications are made and accepted. 'Inside Mid' is obviously a midfielder that wins inside ball. 'Tap Ruckman'. 'Leading Forward'.

It's a pretty meaningless term because intercepting the ball is a lot easier if that's your whole job.

If you are a good 'leading forward' with no other tricks then you are a lot easier to defend than Tom Hawkins who is strong one on one or Charlie Dixon who takes aerial grabs against 2 or 3 opponents. I'm sure if tactics allowed than playing as a loose man inside forward 50 would be a pretty easy gig.

It's a pretty meaningless term because intercepting the ball is a lot easier if that's your whole job.

If you are a good 'leading forward' with no other tricks then you are a lot easier to defend than Tom Hawkins who is strong one on one or Charlie Dixon who takes aerial grabs against 2 or 3 opponents. I'm sure if tactics allowed than playing as a loose man inside forward 50 would be a pretty easy gig.

I believe playing as the loose man i50 looks something like this;

Way back, waa-aaa-aay back - actually in the 1970s and 80s - it was traditional for ruckmen to play a 'kick behind the play; - usually based around the CHB position on the field. Players like Gary Dempsey, Graham Moss, .Barry Round, Mike Fitzpatrick, Simon Madden and pretty much every team's ruckman used to take lots and lots of intercept marks from a long kick bombed into the forward line. I remember one game back not that long ago when Richmond just kicked the ball to Peter Everitt the entire second half.

I reckon McGovern has a fair way to go before he beats Gary Dempsey as a defensive 'intercept marker'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possibly. Helps when you don't have an opponent though.
You clearly don’t watch him enough.

As spoken about from 4:30 mins in here - https://www.afl.com.au/video/490248...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1598247620001

Clear 1 on 1 v Himmelberg in the first picture. He reads the play better than and leaves Himmelberg, impacting the contest further up the ground while Himmelberg, circled in red is in no mans land, too deep for the kick to reach

It just looks like Gov has no opponent. That’s clearly wrong. He reads the play better than most of his opponents, leaving them in non dangerous postitions which allows him to often be 3rd man up

C8F0E9E3-0B82-474F-8D28-01D1BB6818C3.jpeg
EA8CF0C6-56D9-4EB8-9D62-7C8D3C9235D3.jpeg

Way back, waa-aaa-aay back - actually in the 1970s and 80s - it was traditional for ruckmen to play a 'kick behind the play; - usually based around the CHB position on the field. Players like Gary Dempsey, Graham Moss, .Barry Round, Mike Fitzpatrick, Simon Madden and pretty much every team's ruckman used to take lots and lots of intercept marks from a long kick bombed into the forward line. I remember one game back not that long ago when Richmond just kicked the ball to Peter Everitt the entire second half.

I reckon McGovern has a fair way to go before he beats Gary Dempsey as a defensive 'intercept marker'.
I remember Dempsey well. He used to drop back in the hole between CHB and the goalsquare taking mark after mark. It annoyed the hell out of me when we played North. Couldn’t get past him. McGovern would be one of the best I’ve seen in over 50 years. He just looks so confident and assured when he goes for the mark. Very impressive.

You clearly don’t watch him enough.

As spoken about from 4:30 mins in here - https://www.afl.com.au/video/490248...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1598247620001

Clear 1 on 1 v Himmelberg in the first picture. He reads the play better than and leaves Himmelberg, impacting the contest further up the ground while Himmelberg, circled in red is in no mans land, too deep for the kick to reach

It just looks like Gov has no opponent. That’s clearly wrong. He reads the play better than most of his opponents, leaving them in non dangerous postitions which allows him to often be 3rd man up

View attachment 945381
View attachment 945382
The classic example is when he left De Goey (?) on his own to take the grab that set off the greatest passage of play in GF history.

This thread has aged well

Tonight was the perfect example of how to play against someone like McGovern. The other week Hawthorn moved the ball slowly without much purpose and kicked long and high to... Tim O'Brien. Gov and Barrass had a field day. Tonight Richmond moved the ball quickly and either kicked long to Riewoldt or Lynch or looked for leads 30-40 from goal. It was 5 marks to the two defenders and 3 to the two forwards.

Dempsey is the one I thought of as well. Whereas Madden and the like would often go forward Dempsey would just sit a kick behind play and mark everything and had great hands and judgement. Took a quick look at stats. Averaged almost 9 marks and once took 22 in a match.

I suspect we're forgetting just how dominant Alex Rance was.

2016 Rance 286 intercepts from 20 games (McGovern 181 from 22)
2017 Rance 236 (25) v McGovern 182 (24)
2018 Rance 237 (24) v McGovern 206 (24)
source: footywire
difference is McGovern has the best forward. Rance often played as the loose man or sometimes against the opposoitons worst forward.

difference is McGovern has the best forward. Rance often played as the loose man or sometimes against the opposoitons worst forward.
This is just wrong, played on at worst the second best forward. It was his decision making on when to leave his man that made him look like a loose man more often then not.

Hate to be that bloke, but Doug Green back in the '70s for East Fremantle (apart from his kicking which could be a little dodgy) was the package.
Great mark, almost unbeatable one-on-one and superb reader of of the play. He was annoying the way he roamed across half-back taking marks.
Just as good as Knights, Jakovich, Doull, Roos, whoever.
Farming duties prevailed and consequently, only played a few games for Sth Melb (from memory). Mighty fine player in interstate games.
And I am an East Perth supporter so I have no stake in this.
Peter Steward (ex Roo and then came to play for the WP rubbish) was a great intercept mark too. And that hurts coming from an Royal.

Agree, but I am sorry for your having the burden of supporting EP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back