Is Jordan De Goey the 2020 version of Rene Kink?

Remove this Banner Ad

greening22

Team Captain
Apr 14, 2008
MELBOURNE
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NEWCASTLE; JUVENTUS;
I have watched a lot of Collingwood players since 1966 & the most disappointing of all so far has been Rene Kink (who debuted as a 16 year old from Ararat in the 1973 Preliminary Final replacing a badly out-of-form & unwell Peter McKenna at full-forward & in turn kicked 3.4 or 3.5 against a very good Richmond footballer in Dick Clay). A few others who come to mind were Robert Farmer, Phil Carman, Ian McMullin, etc, etc. As you may discern, I am well into my 60's but I have a very sound memory when it comes to footballers & especially those who have donned the black & white jumper. He - KINK - is what I have always called a "GUNNA"! He was going to do this & he was going to do that but in so many big games - apart from the very odd final's game - he did not perform & so did very little. He went missing? Built like the proverbial brick outhouse, he could mark in packs; kick with both feet; hit hard when he wanted & had a rare turn of pace as well as great evasive skills when he wanted to display them. But on too many occasiins he went AWOL or MIA in big games. When I look at JDG, unfortunately I see far too many traits that may end being chacterising our sumnary of JDG when we look back at his career when it is all over. Yes; lots of potential but as Ron Barassi said in the amazing book "THE COACH" which traced North Melbourne's 1977 premiership winning season that element really does not matter. There is a great anecdote quite early on in that book. During pre-season training somebody told Barassi to go relatively easy on a number of players on a very Melbourne hot day. The usual adjectives & adverbs were thrown around by assistant coaches & board members in terms of this player had great natural ability & this player had lots of talent, etc, etc, which pretty much guaranteed that they would be champions. Anyway a very dissatisfied & angry Barassi called in the entire group quite early on during training & told them " don't talk to me about talent or natural ability. That comes from the eye of your father's c__k! What makes a real champion is how he APPLIES THAT NATURAL TALENT OR ABILITY!" I think that JDG would be well-advised to read that book. I hope that I am totally wrong but now in his 6th year at the club, what has he really achieved as an elite footballer. Certainly like Rene, I do not see any consistencies in his onfield performances apart from a recurrent propensity to get into trouble in his private life. I mean Swanny earned the right to wear all those tattoos that he accumulated over time by week-in & week-out consistent performances at a high level. Can you really say that about JDG 6 years after he was drafted as a top 10 pick in the 2014 AFL National Draft? I do not think so. I hope JDG will prove me wrong but I have a somewhat uneasy feeling going through my long-term Collingwood DNA that is leaving me right now with a lot of doubt & question marks. Is he really worth anywhere near $1 million per year given current form? I severely doubt it. Anyway over to you. Am I being too harsh on this player into his 6th season at the club. i really hope & pray that he proves me totally wrong & kicks 4 to 5 to 6 goals in our next game & collects 25 plus meaningful possessions & more importantly lays half a dozen bone-crunching & really tough tackles that have opposition players getting off the turf realky gingerly & sore! But I only have hope so far & not a lot of faith. Goodnight & good luck.

I don't think he's suited to the forward line as much as Rene, who could really only play CHF and nowhere else.
DeGoey should be a dominant midfielder in the future as Pendles finishes up.
My lasting impression of Rene Kink was an incident at Victoria park in about 1980 where he ran into an open goal, had a bounce, and bounced the ball back over his own head to his opponent. I've never seen anyone else do that.

Thought-provoking post - appreciate the considerable effort

I am early fifties but also recall Kinky

It was a decade of unrealised potential - Greening most sadly, Carmen by injury and suspension, lost GFs etc

To answer your question on JDG, let’s consider what behavioural science tells us:
* past performance in a job is the best predictor of future performance
* tenacity is the key differentiator in a field of talented people
* we are all capable of profound change, but sustaining such change is very difficult

By this framework, I fear JDG won’t make it

He is certainly a much worse investment of a million dollars than Darcy Moore (who is displaying great talent and tenacity)

The club could do worse than JDG having 2 more long chats: 1 with Swan and 1 with Kink

I have watched a lot of Collingwood players since 1966 & the most disappointing of all so far has been Rene Kink (who debuted as a 16 year old from Ararat in the 1973 Preliminary Final replacing a badly out-of-form & unwell Peter McKenna at full-forward & in turn kicked 3.4 or 3.5 against a very good Richmond footballer in Dick Clay). A few others who come to mind were Robert Farmer, Phil Carman, Ian McMullin, etc, etc. As you may discern, I am well into my 60's but I have a very sound memory when it comes to footballers & especially those who have donned the black & white jumper. He - KINK - is what I have always called a "GUNNA"! He was going to do this & he was going to do that but in so many big games - apart from the very odd final's game - he did not perform & so did very little. He went missing? Built like the proverbial brick outhouse, he could mark in packs; kick with both feet; hit hard when he wanted & had a rare turn of pace as well as great evasive skills when he wanted to display them. But on too many occasiins he went AWOL or MIA in big games. When I look at JDG, unfortunately I see far too many traits that may end being chacterising our sumnary of JDG when we look back at his career when it is all over. Yes; lots of potential but as Ron Barassi said in the amazing book "THE COACH" which traced North Melbourne's 1977 premiership winning season that element really does not matter. There is a great anecdote quite early on in that book. During pre-season training somebody told Barassi to go relatively easy on a number of players on a very Melbourne hot day. The usual adjectives & adverbs were thrown around by assistant coaches & board members in terms of this player had great natural ability & this player had lots of talent, etc, etc, which pretty much guaranteed that they would be champions. Anyway a very dissatisfied & angry Barassi called in the entire group quite early on during training & told them " don't talk to me about talent or natural ability. That comes from the eye of your father's c__k! What makes a real champion is how he APPLIES THAT NATURAL TALENT OR ABILITY!" I think that JDG would be well-advised to read that book. I hope that I am totally wrong but now in his 6th year at the club, what has he really achieved as an elite footballer. Certainly like Rene, I do not see any consistencies in his onfield performances apart from a recurrent propensity to get into trouble in his private life. I mean Swanny earned the right to wear all those tattoos that he accumulated over time by week-in & week-out consistent performances at a high level. Can you really say that about JDG 6 years after he was drafted as a top 10 pick in the 2014 AFL National Draft? I do not think so. I hope JDG will prove me wrong but I have a somewhat uneasy feeling going through my long-term Collingwood DNA that is leaving me right now with a lot of doubt & question marks. Is he really worth anywhere near $1 million per year given current form? I severely doubt it. Anyway over to you. Am I being too harsh on this player into his 6th season at the club. i really hope & pray that he proves me totally wrong & kicks 4 to 5 to 6 goals in our next game & collects 25 plus meaningful possessions & more importantly lays half a dozen bone-crunching & really tough tackles that have opposition players getting off the turf realky gingerly & sore! But I only have hope so far & not a lot of faith. Goodnight & good luck.
A good comparison sadly. Yes, I feel similarly about him.
In his defence, his opponents wear him like a glove, and at times he is doubled teamed. His set shot kicking is deplorable however, which in turn can influence his confidence and impact.

I think you are being way to harsh, he was on his way to stardom when the brains trust decided he needed to play more midfield. He was the most dangerous one on one player in the comp playing as a forward. Now, he spends his time playing midfield and forward but we don't seem to leave him one out in the square anymore, they should have just let him play pure forward and we wouldn't be having this conversation

I think you are being way to harsh, he was on his way to stardom when the brains trust decided he needed to play more midfield. He was the most dangerous one on one player in the comp playing as a forward. Now, he spends his time playing midfield and forward but we don't seem to leave him one out in the square anymore, they should have just let him play pure forward and we wouldn't be having this conversation

As a midfield / forward weapon I’d probably say Dangerfield is more dangerous forward, Bontempelli is, Cripps is, we know Dusty is (Ablett was)... Toby Greene is probably a player who can play either position better than DeGoey at the moment too. I like DeGoey and hope he realises the potential but he’s spoken of a bit higher than his output has so far deserved. No doubt.

It seems like when he takes possession of the ball he has 3 or 4 things running through his mind on what to do with it, he never looks composed and ends up losing his feet because of it. Possibly trying too hard to make something happen when it's just not on.

DeGoey has kicked 2 goals this season. Phillips, who wouldn’t put the fear of god into a defenders heart has 4. Jordan needs to find the next gear.

He has definitely started 2020 poorly, but so have plenty of players across the comp. Some haven't handled the disruption particularly well, and Jordy is definitely struggling a little. He will bounce back, albeit I don't think that he will ever be as consistently good as Dusty (as we hoped).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved Kinky but man he was frustrating. No Gooey will come good but he needs fitness, he’s a midfielder that can create havoc going forward.
Everyones Magpie hero, whilst a totally different player, was a sublime centreman who I loved watching in the midfield but went forward out of necessity to become the Macedonian Marvel. Gooey is a mid in my mind.

Former US President, Calvin Coolidge: - “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.

Thought-provoking post - appreciate the considerable effort.............................................The club could do worse than JDG having 2 more long chats:
1 with Swan and 1 with Kink
These would be interesting chats...........topics prob include (but not limited to):

- tatts
- haircuts
- dating scene - pre and post Covid-19
- more tatts
- getting the best out of Tinder
- training with minimal exertion
- diets - why they don't matter
- blokes I met at a tattoo parlour
- chicks I met who know blokes I know who own tattoo parlours
- how to appear awake in team meetings

etc etc

I'd be gutted if we lost him, but you can't make him the second highest paid player in the team. It'd be unjust. So if another club makes an enormous offer and we had to get close to it, I think we'd have to let him go.

He is on roughly 800k, unless his current output changes, he is being overpaid, let alone ask for a pay rise. You wouldn't want to lose him, but you might also question if he is as good as people think he is based on his burst footy.

I loved Rene Kink. Awesome on his day and could do anything. Unfortunately he was inconsistent and didn’t live up to his potential.

Whilst they have that in common I would argue that JDG does not struggle in big games. His final performances have been excellent and he played a very good grand final in 2018, something Rene never did unfortunately.

At the moment he is just out of form and his confidence is down, he hasn’t mentally come out of the lockdown well. We are 3 games in and posters are over-reacting.

Btw, I don’t think he looks unfit at all and came out of the lockdown in the best nick he’s looked since 2018. He’s not fat, just out of touch.

If you want to see what fat players look like look no further than Stringer and Ryder.

Lookin that way but I still wouldn't trade him.

The ultimate teaser so you can't let him go for fear of him turning on a blinder against you.

I loved Rene Kink. Awesome on his day and could do anything. Unfortunately he was inconsistent and didn’t live up to his potential.
Whilst they have that in common I would argue that JDG does not struggle in big games. His final performances have been excellent and he played a very good grand final in 2018, something Rene never did unfortunately.
At the moment he is just out of form and his confidence is down, he hasn’t mentally come out of the lockdown well. We are 3 games in and posters are over-reacting.
Btw, I don’t think he looks unfit at all and came out of the lockdown in the best nick he’s looked since 2018. He’s not fat, just out of touch.
If you want to see what fat players look like look no further than Stringer and Ryder.
I think "Kinky" has the unenviable record of playing in the most number of losing GFs - 6? - (5 with Cwood inc '77 draw and 1 with Essendon)

Bloody brilliant, mate. Will post this on TCB.(The Collingwood Blog)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back