Opinion Is Josh Jenkins in our best 22?

Is Josh Jenkins in our best 22?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Word for word what I think.

Jenkins in; Taylor out.

Enough height down back between Blicavs, Kolo, Stewart and Henry, plus O'Connor, Clark and Tuohy are all good in the air.

That's what I'd do anyway - doubt Taylor has signed on another year to be back up and running around in the VFL though.

Disagree about the last part, tbh. I reckon Taylor is staying as more of a mentor, who we'll call on in finals if need be. Definitely won't be playing all 22 games next year. Reckon Henderson has his papers stamped, and Taylor is just sticking around for 1 more year, as depth if need be/mentor/backline coach etc.

We showed early on this year that we're formidable without him in our defence, so it would make sense if he was there on lower money and no guarantee of AFL (much like past guys in Chappy, Stevie J, Bartel etc. were advised).

Jenkins is backup. Not a walkup starter.

Esava is better as he’s a crash and bash contested beast and is our future. Jenkins plays small.

our best setup is Stanley ruck, esavs forward. Why take our next gun 21 yr old key forward out of F50 and risk him in the ruck full time? That’s like playing Hawkins at 21 ruck full time. Sheer utter craziness.

I can see them testing Jenkins + esava + Hawkins with Stanley tucking but I don’t think that’ll work.

As such, Jenkins is probably there only for when esava/Hawkins get injured or suspended
I hope every player starts the season on an equal footing and players are selected each week on merit, needs to be managed and team balance.Nothing fast tracks young players quicker than competition for spots,I want Esava to feel the blow torch and respond, I want Rohan challenged,I want Hawkins out of his comfort zone and I want genuine competition up forward.I want us to take the next step.

Disagree about the last part, tbh. I reckon Taylor is staying as more of a mentor, who we'll call on in finals if need be. Definitely won't be playing all 22 games next year. Reckon Henderson has his papers stamped, and Taylor is just sticking around for 1 more year, as depth if need be/mentor/backline coach etc.

We showed early on this year that we're formidable without him in our defence, so it would make sense if he was there on lower money and no guarantee of AFL (much like past guys in Chappy, Stevie J, Bartel etc. were advised).

I hope you're right. It would explain why they haven't offered Henderson a contract - don't need him and Taylor for back up.

Harry is the interesting one down back for 2020,he must have just about played every game the season just gone and is still probable among the best half dozen readers of the footy coming in and intercept marks in the game and if Scotts going to play him that has to be his role not trying to take the Lynch's of this world that's a younger mans game.
The season is shaping up as a real tease,I'm looking forward to the twists and turns.

Esava is better
source.gif

Sav: games 20. Goals 15. Kicked 3 once.
JJ: games 11. Goals 22. Kicked 3 once. Kicked 4 three times.

source.gif

I agree... Rite ATM Jenkins is better.... Esava has POTENTIAL... He maybe better then even Hawkins at the end of his career ( I'm not saying he will be ) But when Esava name comes to mind the word is POTENTIAL.

template

AFL
Josh Jenkins admits Geelong was the only club he was interested in
Josh Jenkins has broken his silence on his deadline day trade to Geelong, with the Adelaide forward revealing the Cats had long been the only club he wanted to join after a tumultuous final season with the Crows.
Sam Edmund, Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
October 26, 2019 5:34pm

GEELONGADVERTISER.COM.AU1:35
Sam Murray training to prepare for possible AFL return
Banned footballer and ex-Magpie Sam Murray hits the gym with personal trainer Danny Kennedy as he aims to earn another c...

Josh Jenkins has revealed it was Geelong or bust in the trade period, with the former Adelaide forward setting his sights on the Cats “from the get-go”.
Jenkins’ deadline day move to Geelong, along with a future third-round selection, in exchange for pick 37, was sealed in the final frantic minutes of the trade period.
Stream over 50 sports Live & On-Demand with KAYO SPORTS on your TV, computer, mobile or tablet. Just $25/month, no lock-in contract. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >

Josh Jenkins left the Crows after eight years and 296 goals. Picture: Getty Images
Josh Jenkins left the Crows after eight years and 296 goals. Picture: Getty Images
But Jenkins, who will tour the Cats’ facilities on Monday, broke his silence on a club switch that was kept under wraps for a lot longer.
“Almost from the moment I decided it was time to part ways with Adelaide, they were the club I was keen to get to,” Jenkins told SEN.
“I never really had any interest and never spoke with, or inquired, about going anywhere else.
“We wanted to keep it pretty quiet and be respectful to everything else going on. Geelong had plenty on their plate, as did Adelaide, but I was pretty confident throughout.
“When you put all your eggs in one basket you want them to land properly and fortunately they did.”
Jenkins, 30, formed part of a Crows exodus in the wake of a tumultuous 2019, playing only 11 games and spending time in the SANFL.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet-icon.svg

Opinions you can't ignore. Watch Paul Murray 9pm Sun - Thurs, Sky News. For more
But regular chats with former teammate Patrick Dangerfield and others sold him on the Cats, where he will search for inside 50 chemistry with the likes of Tom Hawkins and Esava Ratugolea.
Jenkins says he regularly speaks with former Crows teammate Patrick Dangerfield. The two will play together at the Cattery. Picture: AFL Media/Getty Images
Jenkins says he regularly speaks with former Crows teammate Patrick Dangerfield. The two will play together at the Cattery. Picture: AFL Media/Getty Images
MORE AFL NEWS:
Henderson to be axed by Cats
Saints move a ‘perfect fit’ for Hill
“To be honest, they were where I wanted to get to right from the get-go. I have heard so many great things from Danger about how they operate, the environment and the culture and the way they go about their business.
“I’m not going in with any expectations or demands or anything like that. I’m just really excited about going down and being a part of a footy club which has got great belief … and can consistently play finals footy,” he said.
“Where I fit in, I’m not sure. Obviously that will play itself out over summer and once we get stuck into games, but I’m just excited for a fresh start and I can’t wait to get down there.”
Jenkins escaped to the US and Mexico for a post-season family holiday, meeting with Cats coach Chris Scott in New York before his move was made official.
“I had to set the alarm for 3.30am on the final day of trade period in New York and listen to it on the radio, but it was good fun and we got there in the end,” Jenkins said.
“I’m from Swan Hill, a small country town, so going to Geelong is not like going to the big smoke, but I think it will just be a great opportunity.
“I have still got another couple of years on my contract and feel like I’ve still got plenty of good footy left and played good footy this year at different stages.
“So hopefully it translates to the Cattery

Harry is the interesting one down back for 2020,he must have just about played every game the season just gone and is still probable among the best half dozen readers of the footy coming in and intercept marks in the game and if Scotts going to play him that has to be his role not trying to take the Lynch's of this world that's a younger mans game.
The season is shaping up as a real tease,I'm looking forward to the twists and turns.
Ypo.
This is what I hope.
They say to Harry this preseason. 'We want you to take a back seat in the preseason but we need your help.
You're the one that directs the defenders into positions. We want someone else taught for the summer. (Say kolo).

We know you're good enough and experienced enough during the season to take that role straight back if needed'

As for the op.
They'll play all 4.
Then when it doesn't work they'll drop Stanley and ruck with sav.

Same thing was said about Ablett and Taylor last year, and it didn't eventuate. Probably see both of them playing every game and slowing down at the back end of the season again.

template

AFL
Josh Jenkins has broken his silence on his deadline day trade to Geelong, with the Adelaide forward revealing the Cats had long been the only club he wanted to join after a tumultuous final season with the Crows.
Sam Edmund, Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|

Banned footballer and ex-Magpie Sam Murray hits the gym with personal trainer Danny Kennedy as he aims to earn another c...

Josh Jenkins has revealed it was Geelong or bust in the trade period, with the former Adelaide forward setting his sights on the Cats “from the get-go”.
Jenkins’ deadline day move to Geelong, along with a future third-round selection, in exchange for pick 37, was sealed in the final frantic minutes of the trade period.
Stream over 50 sports Live & On-Demand with KAYO SPORTS on your TV, computer, mobile or tablet. Just $25/month, no lock-in contract. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >

But Jenkins, who will tour the Cats’ facilities on Monday, broke his silence on a club switch that was kept under wraps for a lot longer.
“Almost from the moment I decided it was time to part ways with Adelaide, they were the club I was keen to get to,” Jenkins told SEN.
“I never really had any interest and never spoke with, or inquired, about going anywhere else.
“We wanted to keep it pretty quiet and be respectful to everything else going on. Geelong had plenty on their plate, as did Adelaide, but I was pretty confident throughout.
“When you put all your eggs in one basket you want them to land properly and fortunately they did.”
Jenkins, 30, formed part of a Crows exodus in the wake of a tumultuous 2019, playing only 11 games and spending time in the SANFL.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet-icon.svg

Opinions you can't ignore. Watch Paul Murray 9pm Sun - Thurs, Sky News. For more
But regular chats with former teammate Patrick Dangerfield and others sold him on the Cats, where he will search for inside 50 chemistry with the likes of Tom Hawkins and Esava Ratugolea.
MORE AFL NEWS:
“To be honest, they were where I wanted to get to right from the get-go. I have heard so many great things from Danger about how they operate, the environment and the culture and the way they go about their business.
“I’m not going in with any expectations or demands or anything like that. I’m just really excited about going down and being a part of a footy club which has got great belief … and can consistently play finals footy,” he said.
“Where I fit in, I’m not sure. Obviously that will play itself out over summer and once we get stuck into games, but I’m just excited for a fresh start and I can’t wait to get down there.”
Jenkins escaped to the US and Mexico for a post-season family holiday, meeting with Cats coach Chris Scott in New York before his move was made official.
“I had to set the alarm for 3.30am on the final day of trade period in New York and listen to it on the radio, but it was good fun and we got there in the end,” Jenkins said.
“I’m from Swan Hill, a small country town, so going to Geelong is not like going to the big smoke, but I think it will just be a great opportunity.
“I have still got another couple of years on my contract and feel like I’ve still got plenty of good footy left and played good footy this year at different stages.

If nothing else i love his enthusiasm for wanting to play here:thumbsu:

source.gif

Your taking the urine surely. Stats aren’t everything. Whilst Jenkins was dropped abd playing 2’s esava was playing his second full season of AFL and spent lots of time in the ruck away from goals. What better 21 year old key forward is going around?

Jenkins is 30 (couldn’t hold a spot in crows team behind walker!), esava is our future. A better prospect for the club. By your logic you’d play touhy in front of Clark coz of a higher disposal stat. The universe knows you play Clark first, just like you would esava.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your taking the urine surely. Stats aren’t everything. Whilst Jenkins was dropped abd playing 2’s esava was playing his second full season of AFL and spent lots of time in the ruck away from goals. What better 21 year old key forward is going around?

Jenkins is 30 (couldn’t hold a spot in crows team behind walker!), esava is our future. A better prospect for the club. By your logic you’d play touhy in front of Clark coz of a higher disposal stat. The universe knows you play Clark first, just like you would esava.
Sav has potential but still needs to develop further to hopefully reach that potential

it’s not a like for like and I can see both being played at the same time, but to say that Sav is better than Jenkins at this stage of his career is pretty laughable.

When it comes to forwards, stats are everything. Especially the one with G next to it.
Esava is our future, but he actually needs to start kicking goals.

At least he realistic about where he fits in with the club and has the right attitude towards the move.
I would prefer that we play Kreuger but if they want to play Josh instead and let Kreuger develop then so be it.

IMO right now Sav is the perfect 2nd ruck/3rd tall and would be a nightmare for oppositions, but he should not be our No.1 ruck and his goal kicking is not good enough to be the No.2 forward.

template

AFL
Sam Edmund, Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet-icon.svg

MORE AFL NEWS:

Cheers for posting this! Really like that he's come out and said that. Sort of explains everything, and means that he actually wanted to come to us especially, rather than just 'taking what he can get.' Makes the move a bit more interesting, given that he really actually wants to play for us, rather than just getting paid.

A lot more excited now!

Sav has potential but still needs to develop further to hopefully reach that potential

it’s not a like for like and I can see both being played at the same time, but to say that Sav is better than Jenkins at this stage of his career is pretty laughable.

Yes I think they could play all three at once.

But if the structure doesn't work, I'd prioritise Esava in the 22 over Jenkins.

Can’t understand people’s logic thinking Jenkins is coming to us just to add depth.
You don’t bring in someone of his age and price to play VFL.
Absolute nonsense
He will play 20+ games this year and kick 40+ goals.
Personally don’t care if he kicks 40 over the top joe the gooses. We need more avenues to goals and a joe the goose is still 6 points.

Back