foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Is Josh Jenkins in our best 22? Can we play 3 talls in the forward line ( Esava, Hawkins, Jenkins ) as well as playing Stanley in the ruck.
Or do we just play 2 talls in the forward line in Esava and Hawkins..

I'd play all three of the tall forwards + Stanley ruck and make the backline a tad smaller to compensate.
Agree, we played this way for a period of time in 2010-2011 with Hawkins, Pods, Mooney & Ottens!...Even West did some great things in the 2011 finals as our third tall/ruck after Mooney had been left out.

Agree, we played this way for a period of time in 2010-2011 with Hawkins, Pods, Mooney & Ottens!...Even West did some great things in the 2011 finals as our third tall/ruck after Mooney had been left out.
Maybe the answer to the ruck dilemma is to play two rucks and tag team. Esava and Stanley have proven that they can play forward, so either can easily rest there. Hawkins and Jenkins are mobile as well and can easily play the CHF role.

Yes I reckon he is.

MC will try a few things out of course, but potentially Sav goes into the Ruck more. He is great below his feet, can break apart packs, great contested mark. A little more size and I think he has the potential to overtake Stanley.

Hawk and Jenkins from a strength perspective would give other teams a lot to think about.

I’m excited to see what Jenkins can bring to the team. Yes I think he can play with Hawkins and esava. Those calling for Esava to take ruck f/t I think will be dissapointed I don’t think he has the tank to do that. If anything Jenkins could take more of a ruck role. Stanley, Jenkins and Esava provides
good flexibility in ruck/forward roles.

We improved a lot in f50 defensive efforts and crumbing. We need to score more goals Jenkins will help that. Pick who is in form to kick a winning score.

I think if he plays, Jenkins will match well with Hawkins. He's a veteran forward and he doesn't seem the type to jump Hawkins' leads. He knows the role of the lesser tall. With Esava making it a threesome, then whoever the hell the forwards coach turns out to be will have a huge challenge planning structures, rotations, and patterns for those three. And then drill the hell out of them.
and then hopefully the midfield will be drilled at bringing the ball in to leading players or advantageous spaces.

Whether he is or isn’t won’t be the pivotal question, as much as “why is Jenkins getting a game ahead of ____?” as will inevitably happen next year. That said, I want to see the team win the games that matter, so going the tonk between rounds 1 - 13 and sitting games clear of 2nd on the ladder will not be a true measure of success either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to agree he will not be dropped unless he has a catastrophic decline in form, as that guy we had who was very good until he got his jaw smashed. He has showed too much already, has enormous potential, and the coaching group seems to like him. If the MC found it hard to choose the backline with so many good talls, it will be interesting to watch them choose with some actual tall forward options.
Rohan's form I think(and hope) dictate whether he plays or not. Not just because he is a 'name'. If he's in form, then MC, I think, have a choice between tall lineup or fast lineup. with Rohan and Jenkins being the options. All four of GR, JJ, TH, and ER, with RS rucking? Don't know if that's possible, but for me TH, ER ER, and RS are the must selects.
Personally I would prefer faster lineups, backline included, so some vets might need to go to the 2s.

Only if Sav is our main ruck. Hawkins and Sav are walk up starts. If Jenkins plays, then he plays relief ruck/forward and swaps with Sav when needed. Otherwise, he's depth. Kreuger should be our third tall, as he's much more mobile.

We can play all 4, if we spread it that way. Then surround them with a mix of 3 or 4 from a group that consists of Rohan, Dahl, Ablett, Miers, Atkins, Steven (while resting), Parfitt, Narkle, Cockatoo, Danger (while resting) etc. I still think our setup going into next year should be vastly different than this year, given the weapons we have at our disposal. Something like:

FO: Rata, Danger, Steven
HF: Kreuger, Hawkins, Ablett
F: Dahl, Jenkins, Miers

Last edited:
I'd play all three of the tall forwards + Stanley ruck and make the backline a tad smaller to compensate.

Word for word what I think.

Jenkins in; Taylor out.

Enough height down back between Blicavs, Kolo, Stewart and Henry, plus O'Connor, Clark and Tuohy are all good in the air.

That's what I'd do anyway - doubt Taylor has signed on another year to be back up and running around in the VFL though.

Jenkins is backup. Not a walkup starter.

Esava is better as he’s a crash and bash contested beast and is our future. Jenkins plays small.

our best setup is Stanley ruck, esavs forward. Why take our next gun 21 yr old key forward out of F50 and risk him in the ruck full time? That’s like playing Hawkins at 21 ruck full time. Sheer utter craziness.

I can see them testing Jenkins + esava + Hawkins with Stanley tucking but I don’t think that’ll work.

As such, Jenkins is probably there only for when esava/Hawkins get injured or suspended

Back