Is Josh Kennedy our best ever recruit?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Our club is renowned for turning careers around, however im trying to think of a recruit (not buddy, we knew he was going to be a superstar) that had come from nowhere and has had a similar impact as kennedy.

Was a fringe player at best at hawthorn having played 13 games in 2 seasons, no one could have predicted he would become the player he is today. Josh has been flat out beasting the league for the last 5 or so years with a good few years left in him yet.

when he arrived there was no way i thought hed become our best mid let alone the best contested ball player in the league?

Has there been a better player for our club coming from a speculative pick or trade?

Kennedy, Craig Bolton, Teddy, Ball, Jolly, Mumford, Hall, Shaw.

So many roughies. So much success.

But Joey is the only one I'd vote for Captain (yes I know Hall was a cpt).

Whatever the answer, JPK is a colossus.

When we lose against the Bulldogs, thread will be renamed 'Is Kennedy the worst recruit ever?'

Coming from nowhere or just potential to being a gun

He is right up there Ted was a dud at Essendon, Craig Bolton couldn't get a game at Brissie

Kennedy looked ok at Hawks but yeah hard to beat in the terms you speak of

Also factoring in the hawk fan offended

Agreed. If we were to vote best recruit. Plugger #1. Buddy #2

But for guys we took a punt on not really knowing how it would turn out it's pretty much Hall and Joey (maybe Teddy) and daylight. Everyone else delivered something we'd have expected for the most part: Schwatta, Williams etc

Id argue Hall was a gun already as was Maxfield and Paul Williams, who is another.

The best from rags to riches has to be a coin flip between Bolton and JPK and I think the number of AA honours should determine it, at 2 all in that regard.

Midfielders are easier to standout, for me its Craig Bolton as #1 rags to riches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id argue Hall was a gun already as was Maxfield and Paul Williams, who is another.

The best from rags to riches has to be a coin flip between Bolton and JPK and I think the number of AA honours should determine it, at 2 all in that regard.

Midfielders are easier to standout, for me its Craig Bolton as #1 rags to riches.

Ted? He barely made it early days with us let alone the dons

Weired that them days your KPP were around the 190cm , think Bolton as as CHB was around 188cm
Dunstall etc , etc

Fyfe 192cm , JPK 188cm are mids these days

Cripps is a giant

Jason Ball, Tadhg Kennelly and Mike Pyke all up there for good punts that paid off.

JPK is certainly up there.

Maxfield was a known player we grabbed as a concession (one of two un-contracted players we could sign without going via the trade/draft process) prior to 1996.

As a turn around player, yeh definitely JPK. You mentioned Stewie above, the legacy he has left on the club on and off the field cant be measured

True but his form never reached the same heights and it was seen as a risk at the time for what we gave up

Fair point, he was a bit injury prone at the time, good gamble

Could also throw Jolly in as a speculative pick for what we paid

To answer this correctly, the answer is a clear NO and by a long shot! Why? Everyone is recruited, so by that virtue it will be, and always will be Bob Skilton!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back