Is Josh Kennedy the best tall forward in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Lynch lead the league in contested marks. He was 4th in the comp for goal assists for players that played a full season and 4th for goals scored. He also got more of the ball than Kennedy and used it more effectively. All in a team that was by and large shite (GC scored >100 points 4 times in 2016 compared to 10 for West Coast and Sydney)..
Yeah. I didn't say he was s**t. But he's also been way oversold based on his performance to date.

We're comparing key forwards so "getting more of the ball" is not really the important metric.

As for who uses it more effectively, Kennedy kicks more goals. That's pretty effective.

I think JK is a better player (mainly due to his defensive attributes, not his goal scoring), but it ain't a foregone conclusion and I wouldn't begrudge people who think otherwise. Tom Lynch in a top 8 team would be a very scary proposition.
Again, he's never kicked more than 5 goals in a game, so maybe people should wait until he actually dominates before wetting themselves at the mere mention of his name.

Kennedy over Lynch at this point - for reasons that have been discussed throughout the thread.

Kennedy is capable of kicking monster bags, and despite the unique style is a very reliable set shot. He's also a hard worker, and contributes around the ground when required.

Lynch is one of the best contested marks I've seen, and will look better in a better-performed side. Maybe a better all-round game than JJK, but still needs to kick a few more goals to get closer to Kennedy's level

Kennedy over Lynch at this point - for reasons that have been discussed throughout the thread.

Kennedy is capable of kicking monster bags, and despite the unique style is a very reliable set shot. He's also a hard worker, and contributes around the ground when required.

Lynch is one of the best contested marks I've seen, and will look better in a better-performed side. Maybe a better all-round game than JJK, but still needs to kick a few more goals to get closer to Kennedy's level
But Lynch is younger.

Yeah. I didn't say he was s**t. But he's also been way oversold based on his performance to date.

We're comparing key forwards so "getting more of the ball" is not really the important metric.

As for who uses it more effectively, Kennedy kicks more goals. That's pretty effective.

Again, he's never kicked more than 5 goals in a game, so maybe people should wait until he actually dominates before wetting themselves at the mere mention of his name.

Right. If only Lynch kicked more bags in 10 goal wins against Brisbane. Then he'd be a good player :rolleyes:.

I dont get the argument where Buddy gets more of the ball as a good thing. I dont want Kennedy coming up the wing as when he marks it and turns to look for our full forward on the lead... oh wait.

We are structured the right way to have our key foreard inside the f50 at all times.

If Buddy wants to run around the wing picking up cheap possessions then let him. I want JK near the goals at all times.

He's a superstar of the comp. Bizarre that he doesnt seem to get the plaudits he deserves.

Well Lynch can't kick more than 2 goals against Brisbane, says a lot for someone who's regarded as better than the reigning Coleman medallist :rolleyes:
Nobody actually thinks that Lynch is better than Kennedy. It's one of those ideas that people spout to make it appear that they're knowledgeable because they're going 'against the trend' and quickly becomes a hive mind.

Lynch has 14 more goals than Kennedy at the same stage of their careers, so he looks set to be at least as good as if he can stay consistent.
However, Franklin already had a >100 goal season before he hit 100 games....

Currently though? Forwards kick goals. Kennedy has kicked the most goals in the competition two years running. So Kennedy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'd be odds on favourite for the Coleman
If he plays 22 games, almost certain.
Should kick another 10+ this weekend.
If he is to crack 100 goals this season he needs some monster bags at Subi.

Maybe Mitch Brown will pretend to be Nathan and let him score 10.

Well Lynch can't kick more than 2 goals against Brisbane, says a lot for someone who's regarded as better than the reigning Coleman medallist :rolleyes:

Except he did kick more than 2 goals and had 2 goal assists in a narrow loss. Also don't know why you're trying to use one H&A game to prove your point. Not like Lynch's game was anywhere near as bad as say Kennedy's game against the Bulldogs last year (5 disposals in a narrow loss against a similarly placed team with 100% TOG oh boy).

I don't think Lynch is better by the way, I've said that already.

Lynch has 14 more goals than Kennedy at the same stage of their careers, so he looks set to be at least as good as if he can stay consistent.
However, Franklin already had a >100 goal season before he hit 100 games....

Currently though? Forwards kick goals. Kennedy has kicked the most goals in the competition two years running. So Kennedy.

Mark Williams' career > Matthew Pavlich's career confirmed

Josh Kennedy and Lance Franklin are like for like.

Josh Kennedy has kicked more goals in the last two years granted, but in the last two full seasons for each player, they're pretty similar in goals + goal assists, which is what forwards should do.

Throw Eddie Betts in that debate too.

I dont get the argument where Buddy gets more of the ball as a good thing. I dont want Kennedy coming up the wing as when he marks it and turns to look for our full forward on the lead... oh wait.

We are structured the right way to have our key foreard inside the f50 at all times.

If Buddy wants to run around the wing picking up cheap possessions then let him. I want JK near the goals at all times.

He's a superstar of the comp. Bizarre that he doesnt seem to get the plaudits he deserves.

Kennedy is more 1 dimensional than Buddy, but nothing wrong with that when he's such a good mark and kick.

With out a doubt Kennedy has the edge over buddy, but buddy is still dangerous and mobile that he can take players out on the wing and it can through out opposition teams defensive structure. The guy at time single handily won games for sydney and is one of the reasons they make it deep into September since he moved there.

Jacka goes alright when the ball bounces his way and the weagles are flyin. Like Darling the campaigners lack the mental toughness in the big games. I'm talking MCG stuff.

Goal machine but hasn't backed up on the big stage. Yet.

And I emphasise yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back