Is Josh Kennedy the best tall forward in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

JK isn't just a goal kicker. He's good below his knees, decent on his opposite foot, a good passer of the ball, unselfish in his play and one of the best defensive key forwards going.

His work rate on the rebound is huge, he hunts for tackles like a madman and can often create opportunities for others. He's more than capable of roaming the wing and gathering touches when needed.

I think Buddy is the best, but it's not that one sided at all. JK is comfortably one of the best 2 forwards in the game.

No one was talking about Jack Riewoldt because he doesn't even come into the conversation, he's kicked 20 more goals in the last 2 years than Kennedy kicked last year alone.
I didn't bring Riewoldt into the conversation. And big deal, as i said Riewoldt's role has changed and isn't playing for cheapies out the back

btw, career stats are useless when the context is the current best performed forward. Kennedy was riddled with injury in his first few years which brings his averages down, but since overcoming them has increased his goal average every year, whereas jack riewoldt peaked early and had a few good years, but since then his goal average has just been trending down year by year.
jack didnt peak early he played in abysmal teams, and again HIS ROLE HAS CHANGED

he isn't a stay at home FF

I didn't bring Riewoldt into the conversation. And big deal, as i said Riewoldt's role has changed and isn't playing for cheapies out the back

jack didnt peak early he played in abysmal teams, and again HIS ROLE HAS CHANGED

he isn't a stay at home FF
Are you suggesting JK plays for cheapies out the back? Shake my damn head, watch some football :drunk:

I'm not sure what the obsession is with Eagles fans to try and have a "best player"

I remember the heated arguments arguing Eric "Should have been All Australian" Mackenzie was the best KPD in the game - he wasn't.
I remember the arguments that Nic Naitanui was the best ruck in the game - he wasn't.
Now some people are trying to argue Josh Kennedy is the best KPF in the game - he isn't.
I'm not sure what your obsession with being wrong all the time is.

I'm not sure what the obsession is with Eagles fans to try and have a "best player"

I remember the heated arguments arguing Eric "Should have been All Australian" Mackenzie was the best KPD in the game - he wasn't.
I remember the arguments that Nic Naitanui was the best ruck in the game - he wasn't.
Now some people are trying to argue Josh Kennedy is the best KPF in the game - he isn't.
I agree on the other two just not the bolded.

JK is pretty close though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's pretty simple. Buddy is the best forward and arguably the best player in the game.

Josh Kennedy is the best performed forward in last few years and there are multiple mids who arguably both better players than buddy and have performed at a more influential level and more consistently as well.

Stats don't tell the entire story, however if you were a coach and you were looking to build a forward line Kennedy would be picked over Buddy for the simple reason that you can build a forward line around him. Buddy is incredibly brilliant but he's not consistent and can't have a team coached around him as his strengths aren't what game styles are built around.

With Kennedy you can have full leading setups coached, other players coached around him and so on and so forth but with Buddy you can't. His sheer brilliance can also be a weakness in a team oriented sport.

Kennedy isn't even on the same level as Franklin, not as versatile or skilled and not the finals performer Buddy is. Think of it this way, you get Kennedy, you have to build your forward line around him, okay fine any team would love to have him, you get Buddy he slots in anywhere and know he'll make an impact in a big game even if he doesn't kick a bag.
If Franklin wasn't so good around the ground he'd win the Coleman every year, similar 'problem' Pavlich and Roughead have had.

Kennedy isn't even on the same level as Franklin, not as versatile or skilled and not the finals performer Buddy is. Think of it this way, you get Kennedy, you have to build your forward line around him, okay fine any team would love to have him, you get Buddy he slots in anywhere and know he'll make an impact in a big game even if he doesn't kick a bag.
If Franklin wasn't so good around the ground he'd win the Coleman every year, similar 'problem' Pavlich and Roughead have had.

I'm sorry but this is absolute bullshit. The reason buddy doesn't score as many goals consistently is because he's nowhere near as good on the lead, he's not as good in the air (in comparison to kennedy and he's not a touch on someone like lynch) and his leading patterns and forward craft aren't anywhere near as good. If they were and he had all the tools he does have currently he would be playing closer to goal and he would be kicking 100+ every year. The truth is buddy performs better further up the ground because his brilliance and athleticism at his size combined with his freakish long kicking ability means he dominates in space and in heading back towards goal.

I get so sick of arguing with people who just don't understand how the game is actually played.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back